Quick tire fit question - please dont shoot me!

devonn216

I have read and read, threads and threads, so I think I have it figured out I just want to double check.

First this is not my plan, but its been thrown at me.

I found a steal on craigslist on a set of 5 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s and Addict wheels with 4.53 inch BS, so I feel like I cant pass them up.

My question is, will I be able to stuff these under my stock height JKU after chopping my front bumper and trimming my stock fenders flat? I'm also thinking about just throwing in some spacers and bumstops until I can get my real lift in a couple months.

Thanks! :beer:

OscarMike2.0

I have read and read, threads and threads, so I think I have it figured out I just want to double check.

First this is not my plan, but its been thrown at me.

I found a steal on craigslist on a set of 5 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38s and Addict wheels with 4.53 inch BS, so I feel like I cant pass them up.

My question is, will I be able to stuff these under my stock height JKU after chopping my front bumper and trimming my stock fenders flat? I'm also thinking about just throwing in some spacers and bumstops until I can get my real lift in a couple months.

Thanks! :beer:

I dont have any personal experience with those tires but I would stick with name brand for something as important as tires. You can fit 35s (315/70/17) with no lift and cut flares but I would get a lift before you buy 35s. Just my 2 cents

devonn216

From what I have heard Mickey Thompsons tires are great. I'm not worried about that, and besides I like trying different tires out. I'll try Nittos next time. I am getting all five tires and wheels for $1600.

I just don't want to get the lift before the tires bc I don't want it to look like my Jeep skipped leg day. Originally I was just going to buy lift, wheels, and tires all at once but I can't afford to at the moment.

07JKSahara

Bs and tires size you should be good. I run effectively 4.5 bs (spacers) and no rub lock to lock with 35s. Bumper will def need to be trimmed.

seanb123

I dont have any personal experience with those tires but I would stick with name brand for something as important as tires. You can fit 35s (315/70/17) with no lift and cut flares but I would get a lift before you buy 35s. Just my 2 cents

I'd love to hear your opinion on name brand tires. What consists of name brand to you?

Last edited:

devonn216

Bs and tires size you should be good. I run effectively 4.5 bs (spacers) and no rub lock to lock with 35s. Bumper will def need to be trimmed.

Good to hear that there is no rubbing. Are you at stock height or are you running any lift?

I am going to do the stubby stock chop for sure. Will the rear be good?

JKWrang

You can fit 35s but i wouldnt.
Id at least do some spacers
Fwiw get the tires and hang on to em and then get the lift

Or A lift.

07JKSahara

Good to hear that there is no rubbing. Are you at stock height or are you running any lift?

I am going to do the stubby stock chop for sure. Will the rear be good?

It's lifted 3.25. The front hit my bumper when stuffed, I removed my rear bumper, but pay close attention to your pinch seam. Might need trimming.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You guys will forgive me but 315/70/17's measure almost 35" in height but that is TALLER than a standard 35x12.50 which have an actual height of about 33". Trying to run tires this big on a stock height Jeep is kind of like trying to run a small 37x12.50.

07JKSahara

You guys will forgive me but 315/70/17's measure almost 35" in height but that is TALLER than a standard 35x12.50 which have an actual height of about 33". Trying to run tires this big on a stock height Jeep is kind of like trying to run a small 37x12.50.

Yeah, mine are 35 on the side wall. So probably a little smaller than the 315s.

seanb123

I've seen this to be true I've had one set of 35 that were 33.25 and a set that was 34.5. Generally this is true but not always.

Forgive me, I didn't read the thread. I saw several responses including one from Eddie so I assumed the technical side is covered... So with that said, I wanted to share what popped into my head when I read the title :D

mackey

I would recommend that you buy the Wrangler Duratracs 285- 70–17. Wow. I just happen to know a guy who is selling them. Great deal you should not pass it up. LOL

devonn216

These are the measurements from MTs website. Looks like they measure 34.5x12.8. Looks like it might be quite a tight fit.

Edit: Seems to be very close to the actual measurements of the Nitto Muds 35x12.5s

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1433444887.749036.jpg

Last edited:

BlackHawk08jk

I agree with this. Stick to tires that have been tested and well known to be a good tire. I had a blow out on a 35 and it was not fun at all.

devonn216

I would recommend that you buy the Wrangler Duratracs 285- 70–17. Wow. I just happen to know a guy who is selling them. Great deal you should not pass it up. LOL

I had those on my WJ and loved them. If this guy is you, then your in Idaho? Im in NC dont think its going to work out.

devonn216

I agree with this. Stick to tires that have been tested and well known to be a good tire. I had a blow out on a 35 and it was not fun at all.

I'm pretty sure that Mickey Thompsons are good tires. I havent been able to find a whole bunch of reviews on the Deegan 38s since they are pretty new, but MTs overall are great. The few Deegan 38 reviews I have seen are all very positive.

Top Bottom