2015 JKU Wind type whistling noise from front end 25-55 MPH

JeepFan

Hooked
Hey everybody, I thought I would post this up to see if anyone has encountered something similar.

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon, completely stock with the premium sun rider soft top.

The problem I recently noticed is this annoying whistling noise that can be heard on the drivers side front while driving between 25 and 55 MPH. It's definitely a wind turbulence sound that seems to be coming from the front bumper or fender area. The noise can only be heard with the drivers window rolled down. Once you get above 55 MPH, the noise goes away.

The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the typical areas like the soft top header or windshield. When I have more time, I plan to get some wide painters masking tape and seal off the seam around the windshield to see if things change.

Anyway, if anyone has experienced something like this, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
That's the sound of a stock Jeep Tony. LOL

Are you sure it's coming from the header/windshield area? Maybe it's the air dam or inner wheel well guard?

JeepFan

Hooked
Turn down your left hearing aide.

Always works for grandma

:cheesy::cheesy: Good one!

Try to keep it above 5 MPH - Problem solved. :)

:doh: I wish it was that easy! LOL!

That's the sound of a stock Jeep Tony. LOL

Are you sure it's coming from the header/windshield area? Maybe it's the air dam or inner wheel well guard?

You might be on to something with the air dam or wheel well. If I stick my head out the drivers window, the noise seems to be coming from the fender or bumper area. so I don't think it's the header/windshield. Although, I did notice the gap between the edge of the windshield and frame looks wider on this Jeep compared my '09. I'll have to put tape over the gap to see if anything changes.

MarkW13

I suggest replacing the stock bumper, adding a winch, and cutting your fenders. See if that fixes it. 😏

JeepFan

Hooked
Figured it out. It's the drivers side view mirror. Air rushing between the gap where the mirror pivots is causing this loud and annoying whistle.

JAGS

Hooked
Figured it out. It's the drivers side view mirror. Air rushing between the gap where the mirror pivots is causing this loud and annoying whistle.

Glad you were able to find it. Did you figure out a fix? I'm guessing you may still want to pivot the mirror at some point.

JeepFan

Hooked
Glad you were able to find it. Did you figure out a fix? I'm guessing you may still want to pivot the mirror at some point.

Looks like there may be some casting residue on the mirror base inside the pivot point. I plan to use an exacto knife to clean out excess plastic. Hopefully it fixes it.

JAGS

Hooked
Looks like there may be some casting residue on the mirror base inside the pivot point. I plan to use an exacto knife to clean out excess plastic. Hopefully it fixes it.

Ah. Well, since you've been packed since last Tuesday, you should have time to do that tonight. 😉😂😂

Top Bottom