Ready to get new tires but...

Drobo

Hey all! So, I spent a lot of time recently reading through this thread because I am pretty sure I am ready to pull the trigger on getting bigger tires for the Jeep. So, I did research and since I'm in an area where a lot of the trails are about 2.5+ hours away and I spend about 80 - 85% of the time on road in traffic rather than trail, I am leaning towards the Exo Grapplers just because I read that they are good tires since they are AT I believe and quiet-ish plus I love the tread design on them.

So, when I read through threads I get so confused by numbers and have no idea how you guys know exactly the size and stuff based off it. This is the first time I am wanting to upgrade size (and first Jeep so please bear with me and my none-technical-tire terminology, I am just trying to learn for future references). So I know people have purchased 33's and then regret it when they could have gone 35's, so I want to go straight into 35's. What would I need to get in order to fit the tires without any issues like rubbing etc. that you all have experienced? Btw my Jeep is like 100% stock. Would the size be much of overkill? Again, new to this and haven't got a clue to this stuff so would greatly appreciate any help! :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At bare minimum, if you wish to keep your factory fenders, you will need to install a 2" or 2.5" coil spacer lift with shock extensions to clear advertised 35" tires (as in, that's what's stated on the sidewalls). If you wish to keep your factory wheels, you will need to run 1.5" wheel spacers.

Drobo

At bare minimum, if you wish to keep your factory fenders, you will need to install a 2" or 2.5" coil spacer lift with shock extensions to clear advertised 35" tires (as in, that's what's stated on the sidewalls). If you wish to keep your factory wheels, you will need to run 1.5" wheel spacers.

I saw your post on cutting fenders, I was thinking of going to a local junkyard or something and taking fenders off a Jeep that has then in pretty good condition and not damaged or maybe shopping around CL. I enjoy how soft (to me) the ride is, would coil spacers and shock extensions like mess with how smooth the car feels? I would like for that cool sticking-out look some people have on their jeeps here on the forum, makes the Jeeps look aggressive haha. Any recommendations on companies to look into? Might also pick up some rims for it too, I saw 17's are a pretty good size, is it a normal size or does rim size factor into tire size and width? I greatly appreciate the help though! :thumb:

Don't forget a procal :D

This is to clear the sensor issues that could come up from changing tires and moving the senors over to the new rim correct? Or is it because of the change in tire size?

Once again, greatly appreciate the advice y'all!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw your post on cutting fenders, I was thinking of going to a local junkyard or something and taking fenders off a Jeep that has then in pretty good condition and not damaged or maybe shopping around CL. I enjoy how soft (to me) the ride is, would coil spacers and shock extensions like mess with how smooth the car feels?

Coil spacers and shock extensions will NOT change how your Jeep rides as it still uses the same coils and shocks. This is the best way to get what you need while retaining the ride you have now. You really can't go wrong with coil spacers so any make out there will get the job done.

I would like for that cool sticking-out look some people have on their jeeps here on the forum, makes the Jeeps look aggressive haha. Any recommendations on companies to look into?

I would recommend you look into a set of 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers.

Might also pick up some rims for it too, I saw 17's are a pretty good size, is it a normal size or does rim size factor into tire size and width? I greatly appreciate the help though! :thumb:

If you get aftermarket wheels, 17" is what I would recommend and if you can, in an 8" or 8.5" width. You will want them to have 4.5" of back spacing or less.

This is to clear the sensor issues that could come up from changing tires and moving the senors over to the new rim correct? Or is it because of the change in tire size?

You will need to calibrate your speedometer and the programmer will help you to do that.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I saw your post on cutting fenders, I was thinking of going to a local junkyard or something and taking fenders off a Jeep that has then in pretty good condition and not damaged or maybe shopping around CL. I enjoy how soft (to me) the ride is, would coil spacers and shock extensions like mess with how smooth the car feels? I would like for that cool sticking-out look some people have on their jeeps here on the forum, makes the Jeeps look aggressive haha. Any recommendations on companies to look into? Might also pick up some rims for it too, I saw 17's are a pretty good size, is it a normal size or does rim size factor into tire size and width? I greatly appreciate the help though! :thumb:

Since you like the way your JK currently rides, a Budget Boost is definitely the way to go. All spacers are made out of the same material except for Rough Countrys which are steel. Along with spacers and shock extenders, you will need 2" bump stops. I have the 2.5" Rough Country Series 2 budget boost and 35s. 1431104365819.jpg

Once again, greatly appreciate the advice y'all!

The need for the Procal is to adjust your shift points and your speedometer to compensate for the larger tires. There are other options as far as programmers go but I recommend the Procal since it really simple and easy to use. The only sensor is tire is the TPMS and you can either disable it and get rid of the sensor or adjust the PSI alarm point with the Procal as well.

I can tell you that my 35x12.50 still rubbed at full turn with factory wheels and 1.5" spacer. That only gives you about 4.75 BS which in this case, is not enough

Drobo

Coil spacers and shock extensions will NOT change how your Jeep rides as it still uses the same coils and shocks. This is the best way to get what you need while retaining the ride you have now. You really can't go wrong with coil spacers so any make out there will get the job done.

Sweet! Will be sure to check this out then, is there a brand known to hold up to durability? The closest I know to coils are lowering ones when I use to be into car modding, something I would never do ever again lol!

I would recommend you look into a set of 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers.

Just checked them out and putting it on my "To order list"

If you get aftermarket wheels, 17" is what I would recommend and if you can, in an 8" or 8.5" width. You will want them to have 4.5" of back spacing or less.

Will get in touch with Discount Tire and see what they offer and other stores online too.

You will need to calibrate your speedometer and the programmer will help you to do that.

Will also put this in my "To order list" haha

Greatly appreciate the help man! :rock:

MotoMatthew

I just took a teraflex budget boost 2.5 off my jeep. It worked fine. 35s cleared no problem. On there for 1 month. I went with a full suspension after. I've got all the parts for the teraflex plus all the oem rubicon shocks and springs with 4000 miles on them if you want them. Shoot me a pm. I'd be very flexible on price for all of it.

Drobo

Since you like the way your JK currently rides, a Budget Boost is definitely the way to go. All spacers are made out of the same material except for Rough Countrys which are steel. Along with spacers and shock extenders, you will need 2" bump stops. I have the 2.5" Rough Country Series 2 budget boost and 35s.

Is there a difference in materials steel vs. same materials? How does your rig ride? btw love the look of your ride!

The need for the Procal is to adjust your shift points and your speedometer to compensate for the larger tires. There are other options as far as programmers go but I recommend the Procal since it really simple and easy to use. The only sensor is tire is the TPMS and you can either disable it and get rid of the sensor or adjust the PSI alarm point with the Procal as well.

awesome, greatly appreciate this information also :)

Learning already from you all.

MotoMatthew

I also have the exhaust spacers you need for jeeps with the pentastar. I think it's 2012-2015s that need them? Those are free just pay shipping. :)

Drobo

I just took a teraflex budget boost 2.5 off my jeep. It worked fine. 35s cleared no problem. On there for 1 month. I went with a full suspension after. I've got all the parts for the teraflex plus all the oem rubicon shocks and springs with 4000 miles on them if you want them. Shoot me a pm. I'd be very flexible on price for all of it.

oooo will send you a PM :)

Forgot to also ask, will this require a "regearing" also? Or will it be fine? I saw a chart posted somewhere on here regarding it. I have a Sport Unlimited if it helps haha don't know how to check for the size of gears I have. Oh gawd, I ask too many questions haha I apologize! :eek:

MotoMatthew

I'm running 35s on 4.10s and it's barely acceptable in my opinion. Everyone has different feelings on what is acceptable. I have a big hill on the freeway where I live and I need to drop into 4th on a manual transmission to keep up with traffic.

You have 3.71 or 3.23 I believe. Depending on tow package or not.

Edit: 3.73 or 3.21. But I was close. Hah.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I also have the exhaust spacers you need for jeeps with the pentastar. I think it's 2012-2015s that need them? Those are free just pay shipping. :)

Negative. You would only consider using them IF you are running new shocks that offer too much droop. So long as you run shock extensions, exhaust spacers will NOT be needed.

Drobo

You have 3.71 or 3.23 I believe. Depending on tow package or not.

I hit hills if I take the back roads to my office but most often I am sure I don't that many hills on a normal day on my normal route. I am sure I have the tow package because when I got it, it had the hitch and stuff installed on it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Forgot to also ask, will this require a "regearing" also? Or will it be fine? I saw a chart posted somewhere on here regarding it. I have a Sport Unlimited if it helps haha don't know how to check for the size of gears I have. Oh gawd, I ask too many questions haha I apologize! :eek:

Required? No. But it is very nice to have. Regearing will bring back the power that you will loose when you increase your tire size. I drove on my 35s with 3.73 for four months before I finally regeared. Now with 4.88s and I couldn't be happier.

MotoMatthew

Negative. You would only consider using them IF you are running new shocks that offer too much droop. So long as you run shock extensions, exhaust spacers will NOT be needed.

So the grinding and futzing with the exhaust for that kit was unnecessary for the bb? Ugh. Should have checked here first! I had some issues getting those on and happy.

303jkpatriot

I just picked the Exo Grappler Awts up 2 weeks ago. I spend about the same amount of time on the road and was sick of getting beat up by the MT's I was running. I have the sport and put the Rock Krawler 2.5" stock mod on with bilstein shocks. I started out with 33's and immediately regretted the decision. The 35x12.50x17s I run now are perfect for what I run. No road noise or vibrations on the highway, and tons of traction off the road (rock and dirt so far, looking forward to snow performance). Right now I am running stock gears long term plan is to regear. I did get the synergy D30 assurance kit (still need to get it installed) to hopefully buy me some time with the Dana 30 until I can swing the full 44 upgrade. Figured I would post a few pictures of 35's so you can get an idea

20150530_145409.jpg 20150530_135904.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom