What is a reasonable weight to carry in four door jk rubicon.

ThunderCAT

I am wondering what you expert rock crawling folks would consider as excessive weight to put in back of my four door rubicon.

I see the YouTube vids of these 30 to 60 degree rock slopes and wonder what weight in the back is going to roll u backwards.

My jeep is mainly for over landing and camping...but I do put her through her paces on some moderate rock climbs

K.D.C.H

I'm no expert by any means but I know I've seen fully loaded 4 doors with tools, spare parts and camping gear do just fine over all sorts of terrain.

What kind of gear are you transporting that you're worries about it being so overloaded to the point of tipping back?

ThunderCAT

I don't think I am overloaded...I mainly have tools recovery gear, hi lift jack, shovel axe...at times my camping gear. two bottle jacks as well. I hear of folks with spare axle shafts and u joints and just figured that stuff would weigh ya down. Also seen people with welders and air tools. If you look at the rec weight, they say you should not carry more than about 800 lbs of cargo...you figure if you put two people in the jeep that leaves ya with about 500 lbs of weight left...add some skid plates or a roof rack and you already pretty heavy. I have an aev upgrade with lift so I have a bit more wiggle room I guess in terms of overloading my jeep.

doojer

The lift doesn't increase your weight capacity, just your clearance. That said, I have done some pretty good rock crawling completely loaded up with tools, camping gear for 3, 5 days of food, cases of beer, 5 days worth of ice, bundles of firewood, a barbecue, a guitar, 2 full gas cans, a full 8 gallon water tank, a loaded cargo rack, an extra 100ah battery, a solid steel Gen 2 LoD bumper and 2 passengers.... had no problems other than no place else to put anything lol! But I carried nothing compared to some of the folks I was wheeling with (Jeepcacher!).

I did add airbags to the rear coils to keep the sag down. All was good! Load up and go wheelin! :thumbup:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you're talking to one of those guys who carries all kinds of recovery gear, tools, welder and even a refrigerator. Of course, carrying a 40" spare on a bead lock wheel doesn't help anything but so far, none of its ever rolled be backwards. :crazyeyes:

maxcustody

I carry A Lot in my rig as well......I have changed out my rear coils, for weight, however I think it would be unlikely and very difficult to flip over backwards due to weight.....

Top Bottom