Time to downsize?

chttrbx

Been a happy jeep owner for about a decade. Currently own a jku08. Been considering going down to an 06 or so tj, rarely do I wheel with more than 1 passenger, kids are into it occasionally but other things take priority. Wondering if anyone else has gone this route!

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
I was thinking about it but i just cant pass up knowing you own a new vehicle and not always trying to fix it like an older one. If its not broke dont fix it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Been a happy jeep owner for about a decade. Currently own a jku08. Been considering going down to an 06 or so tj, rarely do I wheel with more than 1 passenger, kids are into it occasionally but other things take priority. Wondering if anyone else has gone this route!

If I lived out in an area where the only wheeling I could do was at an off road park, I could see where I might consider a 2-door JK but not a TJ. And, I should note that I love TJ's and had been a long time owner of own. Fact of the matter is, a JK is just a better vehicle when it comes to wheeling, comfort and storage capacity. That being said, out here in the west, I'd still want a 4-door JK over either a 2-door JK or TJ as it the wheel base is a benefit to have on just about EVERY trail out here and even if I were by myself, I'd still want all the extra cargo capacity. But, that's just me.

BadApple

Living in the west I really wish I had a 4dr, like wayalife said the wheelbase is better suited for the trails here. My 2dr has been to short on numerous trails to do what I would like to do. Keep the 4 Dr

CandAMudders

same, had a TJ before my JKU. Absolutely needed the bigger Jeep with two daughters, two dogs...loved both (Jeeps). (and girls and dogs)

chttrbx

Thanks for the comments. It is a tough call, a jku paid for and I know the quirks. I have thought about picking up a tj project but have no more gargage space unless I stuck the wife's trailhawk outside

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the comments. It is a tough call, a jku paid for and I know the quirks. I have thought about picking up a tj project but have no more gargage space unless I stuck the wife's trailhawk outside

I don't think i will ever regret ordering mine. Ordered a brand new 2015. Everything base model except for bluetooth and dual top add on. Why pay all this money for things for just going to replace when you lift etc. mine was like 24 or 25 out the door.

NV375

There can be pros and cons to both routes. What is your end goal with the rig? I have a nice 2014 JKUR that needs it's fair share of work on occasion. (My fault for wheeling it and making some poor choices) I had a beat to crap '07 JKU that I traded in back in 2013 when I bought my truck. If I had kept that '07 and took what I ended up spending to purchase the '14 JKUR plus the mods I have done to it. I probably could have been on a DTD and V8 by now. At the time I traded in the '07 it was not safe to drive and I did not have the money in the bank to fix it. We made the decision to sign on the dotted line for a truck that could tow what we wanted. By the time the truck was do for it's first oil change we also had a jeep again. Payments mean less money for mods but usually a vehicle that is reliable and not needing repairs every week.

You and your wife are the only ones that can figure out what makes sense for you.

Trails are tight here in and around OH, but I still prefer the 4-door. We wheel the wife's more locally, but I will tell you every-time I pack it I wonder why. Sure, it turns a bit better on the trails but that is where the advantage ends. On several hill climbs, the 2-door is flighty and wants to lift the nose where the 4-door is stable. If it were me, I would keep the rig you have.

JohnnyD

I fell in love with jeeps when I was kid and waited many years before I got one. The jeeps back then were only two doors.

I have since learned I don't need half or more of the shit I've taken with me to trail in the past and if it's a full fam camping trip the 4Runner packed to gills comes with.

My two door was about me and no one else...it rocks.

Just so happens that the fam enjoys it too, just with a lot less stuff on board, which is actually quite refreshing....

I wouldn't trade it for the world, best money I've ever spent....period

Jeep84

There are a few things to consider here. One of which is your budget. I am fairly young, I have had my drivers license for 14 years and have owned somewhere around 25 vehicles. (I can't remember the exact number, mid 20's anyway.) I have never made money changing or adding vehicles to my fleet. In fact I have only lost money. If you go with an older Jeep, you will have a vehicle that is cheaper to fix, so you feel you can drive it harder, but the cost of purchase and then the cost of building it just to match the capability of your jku, take it from me, you will loose money on this deal. And, with an older Jeep you will have constant repairs. Your jku is paid and has very few repairs at this point. You already have spent money on your jku, yes? Instead, invest the money that it will take to build a TJ into what your jku already can do, and put it into the junk you already have. And, because its a 4-door, you can take your family along with you which is more important than any of it really. You will be further ahead continuing on your current path and to continue to focus on your current project. You will have more Jeep per Buck in the end if you keep what you have. Just sayin' is all.

Top Bottom