Poison Spyder??

Donny

Hello everyone,

I am still new to all of the vendors for Bumpers and carriers and everything else for that matter...Came across Poison Spyder and love the look BUT how is the quality? I realize most of you are EVO fans (I just wish they made a rock slider that could be stepped on for entry..wife demand) but who else should I be looking at or I guess better yet NOT looking at?

I like having a direction to take the modding in....

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
with the exception of their rocker guards (rocker knockers tend to bend up and brawler rockers are body mounted) and sport cage (noisy - tends to squeak), Poison Spyder makes really nice products.

Metalmasher

Hope this helps
image-2563395993.jpg

image-2957325847.jpg

These poison spider rock sliders tie to the frame

Attachments

• image-3742601218.jpg
    image-3742601218.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image-3277598017.jpg
    image-3277598017.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Donny

with the exception of their rocker guards (rocker knockers tend to bend up and brawler rockers are body mounted) and sport cage (noisy - tends to squeak), Poison Spyder makes really nice products.

Dang! Was looking at this "JK 4-Dr Brawler Rockers™ (Steel)" but if they are gonna be less sturdy than LoD's stepside Slides or the EVO's...What I need is to find out how many wives complain about the climb in the Jeep?

I plan to end up with 37's and the EVO Enforcer package. Will she NEED a stepside?

Donny

GCM 2

PSC makes great stuff for jeeps, their steel flat fenders (if you like steel) are about the nicest looking bolt on fenders out there. Their bumpers tend to be minimalist in design, but that's because they are functional for hardcore wheeling. Can't comment on the sliders, don't know anyone running them. Their sport cage, although extremely high in quality, solid, fairly easy install.....as Wayolife stated, it's noisy because of its design. The tubing where joined is more of a male/female slip fit that tends to squeak after it sees some flexing out on the rocks

About the only venders I consider for my rig (although EVO mfg has won the fight) are PSC, Gen-Right, and EVO mfg.

nacho

PSC makes great stuff for jeeps, their steel flat fenders (if you like steel) are about the nicest looking bolt on fenders out there. Their bumpers tend to be minimalist in design, but that's because they are functional for hardcore wheeling. Can't comment on the sliders, don't know anyone running them. Their sport cage, although extremely high in quality, solid, fairly easy install.....as Wayolife stated, it's noisy because of its design. The tubing where joined is more of a male/female slip fit that tends to squeak after it sees some flexing out on the rocks

About the only venders I consider for my rig (although EVO mfg has won the fight) are PSC, Gen-Right, and EVO mfg.

I second those 3 as being my go to vendors. I also have used rock krawler and teraflex for somethings with great luck

Donny

Thanks GCM 2....

I'm here in Phoenix too...actually Moon Valley....what tire carrier system do you use? AND do you use a rear bumper at all? I see a few folks don't run rear bumpers becuase they drag on the rocks out here...or so they assert.

Nacho....Great Color!!!

Donny

GCM 2

Donny said:
Thanks GCM 2....

I'm here in Phoenix too...actually Moon Valley....what tire carrier system do you use? AND do you use a rear bumper at all? I see a few folks don't run rear bumpers becuase they drag on the rocks out here...or so they assert.

Nacho....Great Color!!!

Donny

I'm out on the east side, Gainey Ranch/McCormick Ranch area. Have not run a rear bumper for almost 2 years and no tire carrier for about a year. My jeep is in a constant state of upgrade ;) Here is the latest photos of my jeeps rear.....

Attachments

• image-309304468.jpg
    image-309304468.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 222

Donny

GCM2...very cool...but the spousal unit would not go for the tire back there:naw: that space is reserved for THE MALL and HOBBY LOBBY!

Donny

CRAZYCASEY

GCM 2 said:
I'm out on the east side, Gainey Ranch/McCormick Ranch area. Have not run a rear bumper for almost 2 years and no tire carrier for about a year. My jeep is in a constant state of upgrade ;) Here is the latest photos of my jeeps rear.....

Looks great !!!! My corners are on order and will be here next week. Then time to bend some tube and slap some sliders on them. Love the look great job

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dang! Was looking at this "JK 4-Dr Brawler Rockers™ (Steel)" but if they are gonna be less sturdy than LoD's stepside Slides or the EVO's...What I need is to find out how many wives complain about the climb in the Jeep?

I plan to end up with 37's and the EVO Enforcer package. Will she NEED a stepside?

Donny

the brawler rockers are some of the nicest body mounted rocker there are. i have little doubt they would work well for most applications, i have seen similar designs eventually start to cause body damage due to the thin sheet steel that comes on a jk. i used to be a fan of designs like this but, now prefer only frame mounted options. of course, that's just me and for the kind of trail use my jeep sees.

Donny

A Cage? Why would you need a cage? Don many folks go out and flip their ride over? Is a cage required for the various gatherings you guys have here?

Donny

Donny said:
A Cage? Why would you need a cage? Don many folks go out and flip their ride over? Is a cage required for the various gatherings you guys have here?

Donny

Yes it's required on certain events. I have it for safety.

Donny

Hmmmm so the cage that is in my 2013 right now isn't good for a roll over I take it? You'll have to excuse my ignorant disbelief...I genuinely thought it was....LIKE for REAL :eek: another thousand dollars!!! :doh: I won't be joining ya'll out on the trail anytime soon...

Donny

Nothing wrong with stock cage. Some of us find ourselves in situations that multiple rolls may be involved. I just wanted to ensure safety of my family.

Metalmasher

GCM 2 said:

Dang I just picked up the poison roll cage, I was planing on installing is next week could a guy run plastic bushings or anything like that to fix the squeaking after some tail use?

GCM 2

Hmmmm so the cage that is in my 2013 right now isn't good for a roll over I take it? You'll have to excuse my ignorant disbelief...I genuinely thought it was....LIKE for REAL :eek: another thousand dollars!!! :doh: I won't be joining ya'll out on the trail anytime soon...

Donny

A stock cage is just barely ok for the trail in my opinion, yes it obviously passes NHTSA reg's or we would not be buying a vehicle with removable tops and doors. A sports cage takes it up one or two notches in the safety category. There are several documented roll overs, trail and street, where a sports cage saved the vehicle from enough damage to continue driving on. Do not get this confused with a fully welded and tied into the frame "Roll/Race cage" these keep occupants alive in the worst of worst accidents.

The only reason a sport cage is necessary for certain sponsored events (example, JKX) is really for event liability. Most jeepers don't even have a sport cage, and they hit all the most popular trails put there. I just prefer to be ble to push me and my jeeps limits more safety, and the sport cage does stiffen the vehicle up quite a bit more when flexed and twisted. Eventually I will have a full weld in cage, however that's about as serious a comment to cutting on a rig there can be.

Dang I just picked up the poison roll cage, I was planing on installing is next week could a guy run plastic bushings or anything like that to fix the squeaking after some tail use?

Hey, don't let a couple of us guys here on the forum that have a different brand cage give you second thoughts about yours. That poison spyder cage is really a badass sport cage, it just has a different means of getting bolted together. That design just has had complaints from owners over squeaks, not safety, not functionality, not looks. I personally have no experience installing a PSC cage, so I don't know how tight the tolerances are for any layers to fit between the male/female junctions. My first guess is no. Larry Mcrea (PSC owner and King of Hammers Racer) stands by his gear and I am pretty sure he would not put junk out on the market. Have you seen the growth of Poison Spyder Customs over the last few years, they have to be doing something right. :thumb:

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug

Donny

You are fine to go on the trail without an additional cage. If you go on certain events you will need one per the event rules, and I personally would get one for safety. BUT I would not avoid taking my jeep out simply because you do not have an aftermarket cage. I'd venture to say that the vast majority of jeepers do not have one.

Top Bottom