ARB Twin compressor mounting?

sjd78

So I've decided on an ARB twin compressor but am tossed up between mounting it in the engine compartment with the M.O.R.E. bracket or under the passenger seat with the CMM bracket? Any input is appreciated.

I mounted mine under the seat. I went back and forth on this. Here is what I considered

Underhood
Cons:
Heat
Tight fit
Covers easy access to master cylinder

Pros:
Easy to wire

Underseat
Cons:
Requires more work running wires.
Noisy (but no one is in the Jeep while airing up)

Pros:
Less heat
Clean Air source
Easy access to master cylinder

I was not going to run it through my sPod so it was actually easier to run the switch wires as I was already in the Cab. I ran the power wires out the drain hole in the floor to the battery (get some heat tape if going this route).

Good Luck :beer:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I'm planning on mounting mine in the back, but I don't have time to fab a bracket for it at the moment, so I settled for under the hood.

The problem I'm facing now is that I can't seem to fit the quick disconnect on the compressor without it hitting the hood. Trying to figure out a solution for that at the moment.

TeamFaust

So I've decided on an ARB twin compressor but am tossed up between mounting it in the engine compartment with the M.O.R.E. bracket or under the passenger seat with the CMM bracket? Any input is appreciated.

If you are going with in the cab instead of under the hood the CMM under-seat option is a very nice solution. I just helped a friend install one this last weekend and pretty slick. Running the wiring is of course not as easy as under-hood and takes more time but the finished install is very nice. We actually removed the battery tray, etc., and ran through the firewall boot that is under the battery tray (yes it was a bit of a pain but a very clean install when done).

Last edited:

TeamFaust

I'm planning on mounting mine in the back, but I don't have time to fab a bracket for it at the moment, so I settled for under the hood.

The problem I'm facing now is that I can't seem to fit the quick disconnect on the compressor without it hitting the hood. Trying to figure out a solution for that at the moment.

If you've decided that you want it in the cab the CMM under-seat mount bracket is a nice option.

sjd78

I'm leaning towards under the passenger seat using the Carolina Metal Masters bracket. For those of you who mounted it under the seat where and how did you run your air lines and quick disconnects? This will strictly be for oba as I have e-lockers.

I'm leaning towards under the passenger seat using the Carolina Metal Masters bracket. For those of you who mounted it under the seat where and how did you run your air lines and quick disconnects? This will strictly be for oba as I have e-lockers.

I am only running OBA as of now - I bought the manifold as I was going to go with a airlockers up front but decided to use my elocker until it fails. I just tie wrapped to to the seat bracket.

IMG_1462.jpg

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
If you've decided that you want it in the cab the CMM under-seat mount bracket is a nice option.

No I don't want it under the seat...too exposed to water there, which I will be crossing. I want to mount mine in the cargo area, but there are no brackets for that so I'm going to have to fab something myself when I have time.

CJW

Im looking at buying this and noticed the same thing. I haven't seen it in person but it looks like you'd have to fab up your own connection. I thought about using the mini tank attachment for lockers to help re route the connection. Has anyone run into this and came up with a clean solution?

I would like to keep it under the hood for ease of use. I also think it'll be easier to access should my e-lockers every break and I upgrade to ARBs.

Peak

No I don't want it under the seat...too exposed to water there, which I will be crossing. I want to mount mine in the cargo area, but there are no brackets for that so I'm going to have to fab something myself when I have time.

Do you plan on running it in the cargo cubby? Or off to the side of the cargo area?

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Im looking at buying this and noticed the same thing. I haven't seen it in person but it looks like you'd have to fab up your own connection. I thought about using the mini tank attachment for lockers to help re route the connection. Has anyone run into this and came up with a clean solution?

I would like to keep it under the hood for ease of use. I also think it'll be easier to access should my e-lockers every break and I upgrade to ARBs.

It comes with an elbow for a hose to the manifold, but not a quick connect, so I just need to find a normal elbow and a normal quick disconnect and hopefully it will work. the quick disconnect they provide is very tall and has that silly silver plate around it for ease of use, but its ginormous and actually dented my hood when I tried to push it down tight.

CJW

It comes with an elbow for a hose to the manifold, but not a quick connect, so I just need to find a normal elbow and a normal quick disconnect and hopefully it will work. the quick disconnect they provide is very tall and has that silly silver plate around it for ease of use, but its ginormous and actually dented my hood when I tried to push it down tight.

I'm tracking now. I've noticed that harbor freight usually has a wide variety of air connections and adapters. I'd look there.

TeamFaust

We attached a 90 degree elbow out of compressor and then attached a short length of air line with a quick disconnect at the end and left it under the seat for quick access to connecting to tire fill line when needed. We found at NAPA a premade air tool lead in hose (about 2' long) that has a male ball-swivel connection at one end (attached to it to the 90 coming off the compressor) and a standard female thread at the other end (attached a quick disconnect).

All kinds of other options to run along the body rail to front or back depending on if you want to keep connection points interior or exterior.

Last edited:

BigPrince

We found at NAPA a premade air tool lead in hose (about 2' long) that has a male ball-swivel connection at one end (attached to it to the 90 coming off the compressor) and a standard female thread at the other end

Just FYI, after filling up (3) 37"s this hose from Napa melted by the connection to the ARB. I wouldn't trust it.

I've got a quick disconnect attached to a dual ARB on the engine bay MORE mount. I'd be interested in hearing where others ran an external quick disconnect to? Front/rear bumpers? Wheel wells? What did you use?

Last edited:

TeamFaust

Just FYI, after filling up (3) 37"s this hose from Napa melted by the connection to the ARB. I wouldn't trust it.

I've got a quick disconnect attached to a dual ARB on the engine bay MORE mount. I'd be interested in hearing where others ran an external quick disconnect to? Front/rear bumpers? Wheel wells? What did you use?

Good to know, should probably look for braided line to substitute in given the potential heat from the compressor.

Hilux

More mount

I just completed my install using the MORE mount and it is very tight. I also purchased the ARB inflation kit for the hose and quick disconnect, but the quick disconnect I received was not the same as in the pictures on their site. I then ordered the shortest 1/4" 90 degree elbow connector (mail to female) I could find and a VIAIR quick disconnect. It is pushing deep into the hood insulation. I'll keep an eye on it to figure out how close it comes to the hood itself. I think I am going to look for a 3 feet steel braided air hose and figure out an alternative mounting for the quick disconnect or something. Even a free hanging 12" extension might solve the problem. The hose will allow me to turn the ARB connection whole at 45 degrees which will clear much better. I am not sure the MORE mount and twin compressor was designed to be used with a quick disconnect. It is just to tight. FYI - I did find a quick disconnect for automotive at HD which looked like a perfect fit, but the connector does not want to latch in on the hose.

Also note that the installation of the MORE mount is very tricky. I suggest some very small pilot wholes to see where exactly the nuts will be located underneath. My post closest to the firewall is too tight to a plastic support beam and I could not fit a socket in there. This made the mounting process very painful. You want a flat surface on top and at the bottom so be careful at the firewall side as the plastic mold do have an indent close to where the whole should go. It will also make it much easier to buy a six pack and ask a buddy to help with the mount of the plate. An extra pair of hands from below will save you 30 minutes.:thumb:

Top Bottom