EVO long arm adjustment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You will want to use a spanner wrench. You need to get one with the proper peg size and one that will fit the diameter of both the smaller upper control arm adjustment collar and the larger lower one. That being said, you may end up needing to use a pipe wrench depending on how tight everything is on your arms.

Best way to do make adjustments is to have your AXLE on jack stands and tires removed for ease and accessibility. You may find it helpful to use a floor jack on to rotate the axle by lifting from the base of the yoke (if you need to go up).

Spudcannons

You will want to use a spanner wrench. You need to get one with the proper peg size and one that will fit the diameter of both the smaller upper control arm adjustment collar and the larger lower one. That being said, you may end up needing to use a pipe wrench depending on how tight everything is on your arms.

Best way to do make adjustments is to have your AXLE on jack stands and tires removed for ease and accessibility. You may find it helpful to use a floor jack on to rotate the axle by lifting from the base of the yoke (if you need to go up).

I am about 4.5 degrees high now what is the best way to use the floor jack to bring the angle down?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am about 4.5 degrees high now what is the best way to use the floor jack to bring the angle down?

Sounds like your lower control arms might be set too short. Leaving your Jeep on the ground, physically disconnect one arm at the axle mount and just make adjustments to the other. Gravity and your suspension will help push it down for you. Once you've got your pinion angle set, adjust your other control arm to the same length and install. You will most likely find that it will not line up with the mounting holes and a floor jack to the yoke will help make the correction you need to get the bolt in.

Spudcannons

Sounds like your lower control arms might be set too short. Leaving your Jeep on the ground, physically disconnect one arm at the axle mount and just make adjustments to the other. Gravity and your suspension will help push it down for you. Once you've got your pinion angle set, adjust your other control arm to the same length and install. You will most likely find that it will not line up with the mounting holes and a floor jack to the yoke will help make the correction you need to get the bolt in.

Thanks Eddie!

Tree Frog

Thanks for this advice!
Just got my fronts on this morning.

Slight hijack..
Did Evo switch the design of the ends?
Most photos I find show a round lock collar with two holes in it.
Mine are some giant nuts that I will have to go shopping for the wrenches needed to adjust.
I only have to 1 5/ 16 in the box and they are way bigger than that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this advice!
Just got my fronts on this morning.

Slight hijack..
Did Evo switch the design of the ends?
Most photos I find show a round lock collar with two holes in it.
Mine are some giant nuts that I will have to go shopping for the wrenches needed to adjust.
I only have to 1 5/ 16 in the box and they are way bigger than that.

If EVO did change the design to use jam nuts now, consider yourself lucky. The old spanner wrench adjustment collars were a cool idea and should have been a better solution in theory but, after a few years of use, they can be come near impossible to adjust. I recently broke 2 spanner wrenches trying to adjust mine as well as one Chinese pipe wrench. :crazyeyes:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The did change from spanner style to using a normal hex style like synergy arms. Drew said they are interchangeable if you want to swap to the new style as threads are same. Not sure of price, I figured mine are already set and unless I make big suspension changes why mess with them.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The did change from spanner style to using a normal hex style like synergy arms. Drew said they are interchangeable if you want to swap to the new style as threads are same. Not sure of price, I figured mine are already set and unless I make big suspension changes why mess with them.

Hmmmm...good to know. I have the older style collars on mine and they're a pain to adjust, even with a spanner wrench. Might have to give a call to ORE.

T&ERun

LOSER
In the middle of installing 60s and my ends on my EVO arms were very tight. I usually use large channel locks to adjust them. For this install, I removed all four axle end joints and removed and cleaned the adjustment sleeves and the insides of the arms. Used my vise and channel locks, and WD40 when I had them clean. They all move freely again.

On another note, the joints themselves are a bear also. I was going to take them apart to clean and re-grease, but damn, I could not get them apart. Trying to get the snap ring out was not working so I just wiped them down and re-greased (I guess I need to invest in a better pair of snap ring pliers). It is a tight joint for sure. Maybe as they wear out they will loosen up. Mine are about a year old.

Spudcannons

I used a rather large pipe wrench on one and the other was so stuck I just backed out the johnny joint to match. Unfortunately the lower johnny joint is stuck maxed out to one side and I can not get it lined up or to drop out. Should I drop the entire arm or try something else to get it back in line?

Top Bottom