Fenders or not ?

Green2012

Ok i need experienced opinions. I am running factory cut fenders at this time and am thinking on getting metal fenders front and rear with inner supports of course. But I like the fender delete look as well. My question would be which would be more trail beneficial as far as some protection of the body? Ive heard alot of pros and cons of different type fenders but Ivwas thinking about no fenders and rear armor would this be a good option over steel fenders ? And go !

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Metal fenders look great but I have seen where a solid hit to them will CAUSE body damage. Trimmed fenders or flexible fenders like what MCE makes is what I would recommend. Armor and no fenders works too.

mastrcruse

I'm also looking into metal fenders and have heard about the body damage issue. I was looking into the PS fenders that are "reinforced".

Many mentioned to go with plastic fenders but a question that always come up in my head...and maybe it's just me having no knowledge of the Jeeps body layers.

If I lay the jeep into a tree in the front. Metal fenders will keep the tree from hitting the side of the jeep but could cause body damage from the distribution of force. If I lay the jeep into the same tree and I have plastic fenders....couldn't the plastic folder/flex and cause body damage from the physical object itself?

Is the question more appropriate though depending on speed? Meaning, if you "touch" a tree with a metal fender it could cause body damage vs. a plastic fender being more forgiving.

Spudcannons

I'm also looking into metal fenders and have heard about the body damage issue. I was looking into the PS fenders that are "reinforced".

Many mentioned to go with plastic fenders but a question that always come up in my head...and maybe it's just me having no knowledge of the Jeeps body layers.

If I lay the jeep into a tree in the front. Metal fenders will keep the tree from hitting the side of the jeep but could cause body damage from the distribution of force. If I lay the jeep into the same tree and I have plastic fenders....couldn't the plastic folder/flex and cause body damage from the physical object itself?

Is the question more appropriate though depending on speed? Meaning, if you "touch" a tree with a metal fender it could cause body damage vs. a plastic fender being more forgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU9_qwxaG6UUcU37IwGM8A6g&v=JPd_qVF5XYU

this might help answer you question about the plastic fenders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you lay into a tree or rock with trimmed factory fenders, they will bend, flex and fold and NOT cause body damage. If you hit a tree or rock really fast and/or hard with trimmed factory fenders, they will tear off the body and NOT do any body damage. If you lay into a tree or rock with metal fenders, they will keep you off of it and not cause body damage. If you hit it hard, they will buckle in your body panel. How do I know? I have seen all these things happen over the last 9 years time and time again and with a PS reinforced metal fender. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler and you can take all that with a grain of salt. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are pricey but the MCE's are probably the only aftermarket fender I would consider buying. They're made in the USA and the guys who run the company are great too.

mastrcruse

If you lay into a tree or rock with trimmed factory fenders, they will bend, flex and fold and NOT cause body damage. If you hit a tree or rock really fast and/or hard with trimmed factory fenders, they will tear off the body and NOT do any body damage. If you lay into a tree or rock with metal fenders, they will keep you off of it and not cause body damage. If you hit it hard, they will buckle in your body panel. How do I know? I have seen all these things happen over the last 9 years time and time again and with a PS reinforced metal fender. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler and you can take all that with a grain of salt. :)

Thanks guys. I'm picturing the plastic flexing so much that the object I'm against is damaging the body but trying to imagine the above scenarios...I guess it would still act as a buffer in between. I've heard a bunch of positive comments about the MCEs so I'm gonna go check them out. Thanks again!

Top Bottom