Do I have a dropped pitman arm?

NM2012CherryJK

Hey guys I'm trying see if I have a dropped pitman arm. The previous owner installed a lift with nothing but drop brackets. So this past month I have been correcting all that. Installed drag link flip with track bar relocation bracket. Adjustable control arms and new tierod and draglink and axle shafts. I'm not sure if it had a dropped pitman arm however. It drives fine didn't even put the steering stabilizer back on. Any help would be great thanks.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437005773.786371.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437005787.984603.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437005802.464871.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437005815.195227.jpg

NM2012CherryJK

Okay thanks I thought so. Should I switch it back to stock now? Would it hurt if I leave it on for a while. I just got the alignment done. Thanks.

Rebel JK

Try hitting a few good bumps on the right and see if you still think it drives fine. I'd think you may feel some bumpsteer as your DL and track bar will move at 2 different axis's. Rule of thumb is they should be parallel. Id pick up a stock pitman arm.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Okay thanks I thought so. Should I switch it back to stock now? Would it hurt if I leave it on for a while. I just got the alignment done. Thanks.

If you do have one then your steering will be out of whack and not in line like it should. If you can see your drag link and track bar are not parallel which they should

Last edited:

NM2012CherryJK

Try hitting a few good bumps on the right and see if you still think it drives fine. I'd think you may feel some bumpsteer as your DL and track bar will move at 2 different axis's. Rule of thumb is they should be parallel. Id pick up a stock pitman arm.

Okay will do. Will that correct the steering then? Will I have to get another alignment done? Thanks.

NM2012CherryJK

Man that looks crazy, did they flipped the drag link and put a drop pitman arm on?

The drop pitman arm was done by the previous owner when they put the lift on. They had a drop bracket for the track bar on the frame side. I'm trying to correct everything I just got done installing the drag link flip and getting rid of the drop bracket on the frame side and noticed that it looked like it had a dropped pitman arm. But as I didn't install the lift wasn't sure.

Rebel JK

Okay cool thanks. Do you know where I could pick one up that's not crazy expensive? Thanks.

I think crown has them, but you can look/ask around. In the mean time you should check the torque on your dropped arm. Ask me how I know, I'm slowly re doing mine also. (bought used jk w lift)

NM2012CherryJK

I think crown has them, but you can look/ask around. In the mean time you should check the torque on your dropped arm. Ask me how I know, I'm slowly re doing mine also. (bought used jk w lift)

Okay cool thanks. Yea the person that had it before really cheeped out on it but drop brackets for everything. If it's not one thing it's another but I think once I get the pitman arm back to stock I should be good for the front just need a drive shaft.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
man this thread is now making me question mine. Can anyone post a picture of what a stock pitman arm looks like so i can get a visual on the difference?

jeeeep

Hooked
make sure you tie your steering wheel to keep it from moving or you'll throw the clock spring out of whack....

put straps on it on both sides to keep it from moving- I used straps from each side of the steering wheel out the window and strapped to my rock rails to keep it from turning.

Last edited:

NM2012CherryJK

make sure you tie your steering wheel to keep it from moving or you'll through the clock spring out of whack....

put straps on it on both sides to keep it from moving- I used straps from each side of the steering wheel out the window and strapped to my rock rails to keep it from turning.

okay cool thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom