Wheeling with a Gobi rack?

Patmasterflash

I am in the process of converting my 2015 JKU sport from a looks-based mall crawler to a functional Rockcrawler. I realize I need to do a lot of work in terms of fender size, bumper, and tire carrier options but I would have a hard time parting with my Gobi Stealth rack.

My question is, has anyone wheeled with one of these? I'm wondering if there are any clearance issues with the way that the rack attaches in the rear. I am also wondering if it would be vulnerable if I go to a minimal or no rear bumper.

The rear attachment is basically a two-piece option that bolts to the frame where the bumper does, as well as a small clamp that holds onto the lower rear corner of the body to minimize rattling.

Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. I realize getting rid of it would be the best option but I'm looking for the best compromise.
Thanks in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure you would be fine with it. If anything, having wheeled with a roof rack in the past, I can tell you that your COG will be a bit off but that's about it. Being that you have it already, I would keep it for the runs where carrying extra gear would be helpful.

Patmasterflash

Thanks for the advice Eddie! I'll keep the COG in mind as my suspension evolves. I guess another philosophy would be to wheel with it till it breaks.

Taumsauk

I wheeled with my Gobi stealth rack (on a 2012 jkur) last September. Ran several of the trails in Moab without any issue at all. Solid as a rock. My only complaint with this rack at all is the incredible wind noise it emits any time you drive 45mph or faster.

GraniteCrystal

I wheeled with my Gobi stealth rack (on a 2012 jkur) last September. Ran several of the trails in Moab without any issue at all. Solid as a rock. My only complaint with this rack at all is the incredible wind noise it emits any time you drive 45mph or faster.

Check my build thread. I may have a solution for you.

GraniteCrystal

One bonus of wheeling with the rack is added protection. Not as thick as a Rock Hard roll cage but better than nothing at all. I've heard one story where the guy rolled and was pretty sure the rack saved his life.

Top Bottom