Almost forgot that I own a Jeep

JEJ0308

It's true, there are days that I forget that I just bought a 2013 Unlimited Rubicon just two months ago, probably because I walk outside to a Dodge Dart or Chrysler 200, or whatever rental I have that week! My Jeep has now been in the shop for a total of SIX WEEKS since I bought it mid May of this year, because of a stalling issue. Apparently nobody can figure out what's wrong with it, Jeep/Chrysler customer service is a joke, and it doesn't seem like there is any sense of urgency to get me back in my car.
It's all under warranty so I haven't paid a dime for anything, other than a hefty car payment for a car that I can't use!
Do y'all have any suggestions, similar experiences, ideas that might help me get back into my Jeep asap!?!
I'm going insane over here, and if I have to deal with one more dumba** customer resolution case manager I'm going lose my $#!T.
Please help!!!

Spudcannons

It's true, there are days that I forget that I just bought a 2013 Unlimited Rubicon just two months ago, probably because I walk outside to a Dodge Dart or Chrysler 200, or whatever rental I have that week! My Jeep has now been in the shop for a total of SIX WEEKS since I bought it mid May of this year, because of a stalling issue. Apparently nobody can figure out what's wrong with it, Jeep/Chrysler customer service is a joke, and it doesn't seem like there is any sense of urgency to get me back in my car.
It's all under warranty so I haven't paid a dime for anything, other than a hefty car payment for a car that I can't use!
Do y'all have any suggestions, similar experiences, ideas that might help me get back into my Jeep asap!?!
I'm going insane over here, and if I have to deal with one more dumba** customer resolution case manager I'm going lose my $#!T.
Please help!!!

Sounds like you need a new dealer. I would check around and find a highly rated one. 6 weeks to fix anything like that is BS.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What was going on with your Jeep that you had to bring it into the dealership? I mean, can you be more specific with what was happening?

JEJ0308

Funny things is I did find a highly recommended dealer and its 45+ min out of my way, rather than going to the dealer 10 min down the road.

And I purchased the vehicle used from a Toyota dealership, it was a trade in, prob cus the last owner was having this same problem!!! It had 35k miles on it when I bought it, and I don't know if they were aware of the issue or not, it doesn't happen all the time, but usually a couple times a day after a bit of driving. I've even gone two days without any stalling, then four times just backing out of the driveway the next day. Always when I'm stopped at a light, stop sign, etc., or coming to a slow stop.
And before anyone asks, cus everyone does, IT IS AN AUTOMATIC! ;) I know how to drive a dang stick, if it were a six speed I could easily avoid the stalling, but it shouldn't be stalling either way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Funny things is I did find a highly recommended dealer and its 45+ min out of my way, rather than going to the dealer 10 min down the road.

And I purchased the vehicle used from a Toyota dealership, it was a trade in, prob cus the last owner was having this same problem!!! It had 35k miles on it when I bought it, and I don't know if they were aware of the issue or not, it doesn't happen all the time, but usually a couple times a day after a bit of driving. I've even gone two days without any stalling, then four times just backing out of the driveway the next day. Always when I'm stopped at a light, stop sign, etc., or coming to a slow stop.
And before anyone asks, cus everyone does, IT IS AN AUTOMATIC! ;) I know how to drive a dang stick, if it were a six speed I could easily avoid the stalling, but it shouldn't be stalling either way.

Being that you bought the Jeep used, did it come with a warranty? I know a lot of dealerships offer some kind of x-points inspection to prove they are selling a "quality" pre-owned vehicle and I would think you could take this up with them assuming you are under their warranty.

Bustedback

Might be the idle air control motor choking air off at the throttle body, or the torque converter clutch not releasing and stalling the engine. But those are just my wild ass guesses.

JEJ0308

They do provide a lifetime powertrain warranty with every vehicle they sell as long as you have it serviced there at least once every 5 yrs, problem is we found the rubi online so that dealership is a couple hours away. Not a big deal to drive a couple hrs to get the car you want, but not so convenient for service.
Doesn't really matter tho since it's still under manufacturers warranty.

Just to fill you guys in on all the details as of right now:
It is currently at a Chrysler/Jeep dealership now, has been for over two and a half weeks now.
The first time I took it to the same dealership, it was there for three weeks and one day. They replaced a handful of things, with no success, ultimately replacing the transmission! (Sounds crazy, but when you restart it after it stalls, it doesn't want to go into gear when you put it in "Drive", takes about 5 seconds for it to catch) Stalled the night I picked it up.

Since I took it back this last time they have replaced the PCM, but it stalled when they test drove it the day I was supposed to pick it.

Still no word from them, or the crack team of case managers at Chrysler, at this point I just call my case mgr to update THEM on my car and also to fuss at them, it's almost comical.

JEJ0308

Oh and no problem when I'm even slightly on the throttle or under load, just at idle, so you might be onto something Bustedback. Though , in six weeks I can't imagine how they wouldn't consider every possible option.

Eagle1911

Might be the idle air control motor choking air off at the throttle body, or the torque converter clutch not releasing and stalling the engine. But those are just my wild ass guesses.

I would lean to the torque converter clutch. Had this happen to me on a 69 F100.

JEJ0308

Update

I figured I would give you guys an update on my Jeep, I didn't think I would still be dealing with this, but here I am going into WEEK 10! without my Wrangler. Just to update; this is all due to a random stalling issue that nobody (including an engineer from Chrysler who personally came to work on my jeep) can seem to pinpoint what is causing the problem. So far they have replaced the valve body, PCM, cam sensors, cam phasers, a handful of other small parts, and even the transmission! We all thought it was fixed, so I picked it up last week, only to return it the next day after it stalled three times that night. Now they say they are going to replace the engine, should take a week, which in Chrysler speak means at least three human weeks apparently.
My concern is how will this affect the value of my vehicle if I were to sell it in the future? "The jeep is flawless inside and out, but we did have to replace the engine and transmission at 30somethinK miles" doesn't sound too good to me personally if I'm buying a car.
Also, the "jeep resolution team" offered me a years worth of tire rotations and oil changes for my troubles, kind of a joke if you ask me. I'm not one to try and milk things to get everything I can get for my "pain and suffering", but I do feel at this point there needs to be some compensation, like maybe a decent service plan in case I run into this problem again in a few thousand miles. What do ya'll think? What, if anything, should they do to make things right? Again not trying to go overboard, but I'm paying for a 2013 Rubicon, and I'm driving a base model Dodge Dart (rental), for three months now!

jkbud

I can totally understand your frustration. but you should look on the bright side that they are replacing the engine under warranty otherwise you'd be really screwed. As for resale value I'd think that since it was done by the dealership that should give others piece of mind. It may turn off some, but others wouldn't care. Some people won't buy used if it's been offroad at all & others only want modified rigs... best of luck to you

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Tell them if they put a HEMI in it that you will call it even.

Might be easier for them too. Plus easier to explain when you sell it.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
At some point you may be able to inact the lemon law depending on the law's verbiage in your state. Not sure how many times you have received the Jeep back from the dealer, however, the most recent return to service would count towards the lemon law.

mds22

At some point you may be able to inact the lemon law depending on the law's verbiage in your state. Not sure how many times you have received the Jeep back from the dealer, however, the most recent return to service would count towards the lemon law.

In GA the dealer gets 3 tries to fix it.

jeeeep

Hooked
I figured I would give you guys an update on my Jeep, I didn't think I would still be dealing with this, but here I am going into WEEK 10! without my Wrangler. Just to update; this is all due to a random stalling issue that nobody (including an engineer from Chrysler who personally came to work on my jeep) can seem to pinpoint what is causing the problem. So far they have replaced the valve body, PCM, cam sensors, cam phasers, a handful of other small parts, and even the transmission! We all thought it was fixed, so I picked it up last week, only to return it the next day after it stalled three times that night. Now they say they are going to replace the engine, should take a week, which in Chrysler speak means at least three human weeks apparently.
My concern is how will this affect the value of my vehicle if I were to sell it in the future? "The jeep is flawless inside and out, but we did have to replace the engine and transmission at 30somethinK miles" doesn't sound too good to me personally if I'm buying a car.
Also, the "jeep resolution team" offered me a years worth of tire rotations and oil changes for my troubles, kind of a joke if you ask me. I'm not one to try and milk things to get everything I can get for my "pain and suffering", but I do feel at this point there needs to be some compensation, like maybe a decent service plan in case I run into this problem again in a few thousand miles. What do ya'll think? What, if anything, should they do to make things right? Again not trying to go overboard, but I'm paying for a 2013 Rubicon, and I'm driving a base model Dodge Dart (rental), for three months now!

being it's a Chrysler factory replacement, it shouldn't hurt the resale value. however, I'd make sure it's a new OEM engine not a refurbished and the warranty on it starts over at mileage 0, not the current mileage.

I'd also get in writing for the oil changes to be full synthetic but not really sure I would want to have the dealership doing the oil changes. Last time I took mine in for it's free oil change (part of the incentive they gave me when I bought mine) it took them hours and I never went back. for them it's cheap to give them away so they can tell you what other "you pay for" service it needs since it's in their service bay

Maybe another alternative is to have them cover the payments you made while it was out of commission something like an actual reduction in payments, a check in your hand, or an equal amount of service parts credit +20% off parts. You'll be buying stuff once you get it back and like it again.

Good luck!

JEJ0308

As far as lemon law is concerned, unfortunately there's not much I can do since I purchased it used with 35+K miles, there is the Manguson-Moss Waranty Act, but I'd rather not go down that path unless its a last resort. As far as a HEMI, haha, I mentioned it several times, kind of joking kind of not joking, but they wouldn't go for it. The engine I will be getting IS brand new tho, not re-manufactured or refurbished, made sure they were clear on that at the shop. The mileage on the car still stays the same, if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't go back to zero when the engine is replaced, since the rest of the vehicle technically has miles on it. I'll double check on those details tho when I talk to the shop again.

rogerk93

Please help!!!

Two weeks after I bought mine the torque converter blew and a bolt came flying out the bell housing making a large hole. It took a week too fix but Chrysler paid for a payment and the rentals. I would call Chrysler and argue the fact you haven't had a jeep you just bought from them and they should compensate you.

Top Bottom