Snorkel

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I don't have a snorkel but I like the looks and functionality of the rugged ridge one simply based on the fact that when it is not needed you can remove part of it and it doesn't stick up as much. So for the 99.99 percent of the time that it isn't really needed it doesn't look as bad to me. The thing that I don't like is that when you put the top part on, it runs up the front of the front of the windshield instead of the side. While I don't have any lights yet I plan on putting some on the windshield so the top part of the snorkel wouldn't work for me. I feel like it would be pointless to do the rest of the snorkel for what minimum height increase of the air intake you would gain without running the top part. So I guess I won't ever run a snorkel. Lol.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
...While I don't have any lights yet I plan on putting some on the windshield so the top part of the snorkel wouldn't work for me.....

If you are talking about cubes or something similar on the A-pillar, I wouldn't waste your time or money. I have yet to see a pair that put out even close to the same light that trucklite headlight replacements put out. Just my .02. Get trucklites first, then decide what you need for additional lighting.

Last edited:
If you are talking about cubes or something similar on the A-pillar, I wouldn't waste your time or money. I have yet to see a pair that put out even close to the same light that trucklite headlight replacements put out. Jus my .02. Get trucklites first, then decide what you need for additional lighting.

My a-pillars are a waste. Cant wait to get some TLs. Im going to have to agree with Sharkey.

Grubbicon

So truck lites are well worth the hefty price tag?

I definitely think they are. I didnt want to pay the price tag but when I was offered a deal on a used set I took them. After using them I regret not getting them sooner.

Wardell

I'm planning on getting the Rugged Ridge snorkel too. mudmobeeler mentioned a lot about it, but one more thing it be aware of is how it installs. It doesn't require any major cutting into the hood or body (which is why I first looked at it - I have a vented Rubicon X hood and would rather not put a hole in it), you just need to drill out a couple spot welds in the cowling. That even makes the install reversible, should you ever want to return to stock. That said, there's a lot more work involved than other snorkel designs (I think there are over 100 steps in the instructions). You need to pull off the whole passenger side fender since the intake runs down the side, then up under the battery tray and inside the wheel well before running back up to the air box. You will have to make sure all the tube connections are properly sealed, since they will be submerged if you go in water deeper than your bumper - otherwise the whole thing will just turn into a straw. It's certainly the most labour intensive snorkel to install, but I think the clean look and function makes it worthwhile.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If you are talking about cubes or something similar on the A-pillar, I wouldn't waste your time or money. I have yet to see a pair that put out even close to the same light that trucklite headlight replacements put out. Just my .02. Get trucklites first, then decide what you need for additional lighting.

My a-pillars are a waste. Cant wait to get some TLs. Im going to have to agree with Sharkey.

Yeah, working on trying to get the TL ASAP before price goes up/people run out of stock at the old price. Hopefully I can order them with this paycheck or the next.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

My a pillar lights look cool with amber covers. :bleh:

Coop

Caught the Bug
I don't have a snorkel but I like the looks and functionality of the rugged ridge one simply based on the fact that when it is not needed you can remove part of it and it doesn't stick up as much. So for the 99.99 percent of the time that it isn't really needed it doesn't look as bad to me. The thing that I don't like is that when you put the top part on, it runs up the front of the front of the windshield instead of the side. While I don't have any lights yet I plan on putting some on the windshield so the top part of the snorkel wouldn't work for me. I feel like it would be pointless to do the rest of the snorkel for what minimum height increase of the air intake you would gain without running the top part. So I guess I won't ever run a snorkel. Lol.

What about the AEV that goes thru the cowl? Looks like it says to the side and doesn't crowd the A pillar so you can add a light bar or roof rack? Just wondering. I'm thinking about this too.
Coop

Coop

Caught the Bug
What about the AEV that goes thru the cowl? Looks like it says to the side and doesn't crowd the A pillar so you can add a light bar or roof rack? Just wondering. I'm thinking about this too.
Coop

I guess the thru the cowl unit is the Rugged Ridge unit!
Coop

mcsjk

I love my TL's. I took a couple of comparison pictures. I took these before I had adjusted them.

Stock low beam:
IMG_0507.jpg

TL low beam:
IMG_0517.jpg

Stock high beam:
IMG_0508.jpg

TL high beam:
IMG_0518.jpg

Dopey84

Ok so I've been looking into the TL's also the JW speaker 8700 which do you think is the best between these 2. As far as brightness, durability, install, and cost...

LeighP

My vote for the AEV.
It will fit with most light brackets or rack mounts at the screen. Its probably the simplest of all the snorkels to fit.
It is one piece....ie, there are no seams to leak except the one where it joins the airbox.
The whole snorkel is mounted high.....some others dip right down then come back up, with joints down low....not the best idea, in my opinion.
Install is very straight forward.
Downside is, there are some aftermarket fenders that won't work with the AEV.

This is pretty much the sum total of body mods required to make it fit....

Top Bottom