So sad!

TheStick

Since the EPA caused it their response has been "we are not currently aware of the exact environmental impact"

I'm sure the response would be the same if a private company would have been the culprit.

boardsurfer

If only there was some kind of group or... Agency that would protect the environment against things like this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, like everyone, I've been seeing this on the news for a while now but found it strange that nobody explains what exactly happened. All the news channels keep on saying that the EPA "accidentally" caused the spill but now "how" they caused it. Well, today, I went looking and found this on, of all places, NPR...

The spill began last Wednesday, when an EPA cleanup team used heavy equipment to breach a dam at an abandoned mine in Colorado. They inadvertently released water that was laden with heavy metals and contaminants into a creek that flows into a river above Durango.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...a-s-spill-of-3-million-gallons-of-toxic-water

So, the EPA took "HEAVY EQUIPMENT" to purposefully "BREACH A DAM" and that somehow "INADVERTENTLY" released the contaminated water? INADVERTENTLY?? What the hell were they expecting to happen when they purposefully BREACHED A DAM?!! :naw:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So, like everyone, I've been seeing this on the news for a while now but found it strange that nobody explains what exactly happened. All the news channels keep on saying that the EPA "accidentally" caused the spill but now "how" they caused it. Well, today, I went looking and found this on, of all places, NPR...

So, the EPA took "HEAVY EQUIPMENT" to purposefully "BREACH A DAM" and that somehow "INADVERTENTLY" released the contaminated water? INADVERTENTLY?? What the hell were they expecting to happen when they purposefully BREACHED A DAM?!! :naw:

Gubmint gunna gubmint. Could you imagine the sh!tstorm if BP or Exxon did this?

rampagejk

:eek: That is sad!!! Thank you for sharing the news with us.

Sh0rtBus

LOSER
Can you imagine the attention this story would get if it were a private company that caused this?

Actually....I think it was a private contractor the EPA hired to do it. SO tecnically....

Honestly, though, it looks worse than it really is. They'll get it all cleaned up, as there are countless environmental contractors that specialize in this sort of thing. Having a background in emergency management and hazmat spill remediation myself, I know of a couple of really good ones in Colorado alone....actually my favorite one. Not sure if they're involved with clean-up or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What I haven't heard of yet is whether or not there's any fish kill. If not, then it's not really that serious a problem other than it just looks terrible. Not saying you'd want to go grab a glass or anything, but if the fish aren't dying, then it's not as bad as the media is making it out to be, which is usually the case with anything they get involved with.

TJ4fun

We cant fine the EPA, because the EPA is our money, we would be fining ourselves. We can however make sure those dirty rascals are held accountable. Those who gave the order to demolish that dam and the ignorant moron who followed those orders. Those idiats should be baned from government service for ever. Damn, incompetence...drives me crazy!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually....I think it was a private contractor the EPA hired to do it. SO tecnically....

Honestly, though, it looks worse than it really is. They'll get it all cleaned up, as there are countless environmental contractors that specialize in this sort of thing. Having a background in emergency management and hazmat spill remediation myself, I know of a couple of really good ones in Colorado alone....actually my favorite one. Not sure if they're involved with clean-up or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

What I haven't heard of yet is whether or not there's any fish kill. If not, then it's not really that serious a problem other than it just looks terrible. Not saying you'd want to go grab a glass or anything, but if the fish aren't dying, then it's not as bad as the media is making it out to be, which is usually the case with anything they get involved with.

LOL! Please tell me your aren't serious with this response. "If the fish aren't dying, then it's not as bad..." Do fish not drink the water? Are there not other habitats in the water that could be affected? Just because they don't die doesn't mean it's not bad.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
So the really awesome things about heavy metals is that when organisms consume them they generally remain in that organism until it dies or is eaten by another organism. Let's say a fish consumes this contaminated water and the heavy metals build up in that fish, it then gets eaten by bird, bear, human, etc. Well then those heavy metals are then absorbed by that organism and remain in them. This is the same type of thing as fish around China that are still living but have very high levels of mercury, lead, etc. Depending on the region they live and what is being dumped into that water.

So I would say that even though the fish aren't dying yet they are problem not safe to eat. That water and the organisms living in it need to be tested to determine how they are really being affected by the contamination.

I personally would not eat anything out of this river and anything downstream...

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The birds would really be another way to contaminate local waters. I've read thats how some organisms, fish eggs, etc get transported by birds that have attached to them. Do not know how much of that is true.

Top Bottom