Independent suspension V.S. solid axles

dagdag

Here is a simple no b.s. challenge. Opinions have no place in this thread. Post a picture that proves your point of view, or hold your peace. I challenge you to post a pic of a modified PRODUCTION vehicle with independent suspension. Said vehicle should have equal or greater articulation than the vehicle in this picture. Said vehicle should have equal or narrower track width. Here is a picture I found that I think is a a good starting point. It may even be of a members vehicle. I really don't know. Here is the bar. I challenge you to beat it.

Attachments

• 1439339601863.jpg
    1439339601863.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 400

thardy

Banned
I'm curious as to why you've decided to try and start an argument over the different suspension styles.

tsweet

I'm curious as to why you've decided to try and start an argument over the different suspension styles.

Me too. In my opinion they each have there place, but there is no comparison in a stock form as he is looking for. That's why I'm curious to see how this unfolds

thardy

Banned
Me too. In my opinion they each have there place, but there is no comparison in a stock form as he is looking for. That's why I'm curious to see how this unfolds

Exactly. They both have their place. Can independent suspension be modified to work as well, or better than a similar solid axle system, absolutely. It would just take more $ and design.

tsweet

Exactly. They both have their place. Can independent suspension be modified to work as well, or better than a similar solid axle system, absolutely. It would just take more $ and design.

Could not have said it better. 🍺

OscarMike2.0

Here are some pics I took from sema last year of his trophy truck. They had it hanging in the air with his video recoil two playing in the background.

IMG_4119.jpg IMG_4120.jpg IMG_4118.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
That's not a "production" vehicle as OP requested. That's why I didn't post a trophy truck but yeah that'll out perform solid axle any day of the week.

well...to be fair, the Jeep posted is also not production since it looks modified :thinking:

just stirring the pot :beer:

just put on my glasses - I think the truck qualifies--heavily modified!

I challenge you to post a pic of a modified PRODUCTION vehicle with independent suspension.

Last edited:

OscarMike2.0

Here are some pics of Curries JK8 with an independent front and trailing arms in the rear. Didnt really take pics of the body because I was really only paying attention to the suspension.

Oq0dN02QUMbNcW_sLU9eYbAg7D8J9Dm13fP5Fa2Pnh4.jpg

x6LLh3GqrthmjyULFFhheUmsptspoGYtbuyX7KbK6WE.jpg

_Qq2InShJO3vIR53liCyzPhcB-8sN69nSp7INmSBp6s.jpg

-gstKithYh_HTVsxKlwBgyHWIKnrhbsjmMqlCLBxEDE.jpg

HTuq42FKyMsWLYlI6lckOe7ZBu00AIx8qrKdORz-XLU.jpg

PTS-ipVdu1B9Mit3oxmLFgzcY1Fc2lHqnCLZE2HBWJU.jpg

Last edited:

Hobolobo

It's fiberglass panels with a tube chassis. Not so production.

Touchè. Op's original pic isn't so production either. I agree that ifs can be far superior with enough money and engineering. Just trying to help prove it by justifying the trophy truck.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
LOL! Did you really start a thread because a few members want to see a Wrangler with IFS/IRS?

Edit: But to play the game. Here are ones found on the web. Sorry, no children for reference.
dumber.jpg
hnm-slider-ranger-droop.jpg

Last edited:

croge17

The difference isn't in flex it's in traction, scrub radius, camber through the range of travel.

I'm the picture you posted your front contact patch is equivilant to two bicycle tires. Not much traction, looks cool but I'm most cases useless.

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p497/blownyota/Pozo5-10-12156.jpg

In this picture he has 22 inches of wheel travel and the full contact patch of the tire so both tires provide then most traction possible.

This doesn't take into account that a solid axle travels over an arc so you get axle steer as it flexes where independent suspensions move in a vertical plane only drastically improving steering predictability.

I have wheeled in a long travel its Nissan pickup and Toyota 4 runner and have found anywhere I I couldn't go with them that I could go with my jk.

They both have their place and both are respectable.

Also the cost argument is disapearing as you probably have around 3500$ in suspension mods and the pic I posted would cost about the same. Durability is almost a mute point now days as well.

Top Bottom