Gear whine is it common?

bowtech50

Just had 4:88`s put in my 2013 JKUR, and have put 75 miles on so far. I hear a bit of gear whine that goes away as soon as I let off the gas. Is this common during break in, or should I be bringing it back?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd take it back, I didn't have any whine when I had my gears installed. You did the correct break in procedure?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would guess it's the first signs of a pinion bearing.

This^^^ It's a pinion bearing. I had two replaced from the shop in NJ that did mine. It have it again currently but not willing to make the drive back there to warranty it.

bowtech50

I will be calling the shop back Monday. This totally bums me out, as they had it for 3 days already. I hope they make it right. I noticed it on the way home when I picked it up. It never went over 55mph, and it only has 75 miles on the gears now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, you shouldn't have a whine. You definitely want to take it back and have them set it up again.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Either the preload on the pinion is set to tight or there isn't enough backlash on the ring gear causing the the gears to be set to tight making them whine or roar. Definitely take them back and don't let them tell you is normal. That won't last to long that way. Good luck.

Top Bottom