Transmission fluid temp

MBezner

Finally brought my jeep home from the shop yesterday. I had problems in the front differential so I regeared to 4.88. I bought a trail dash in order to correct speedo. I'm wondering what my transmission fluid temp should be? It was running around 145 degree at 65 to 70 mph. Then I turned into the wind and it jumped to 155. This seems normal just wondering if anybody out there knows what range it should be in?

2011 jkus
4 inch lift
35s

By the way 4.88 are perfect fit for the 35s. I'm still in break in mode but I put a little right foot in it just before I got home.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You should be fine with that. Newer JK's all come with coolers now and I haven't seen or heard of too many if any incidents where they've gotten too hot. Of course, your dash will send you a message saying "HOT OIL" if you ever were to get to that point.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Yup, very normal. My '14 with 5.13s and 37s sits at 167-168° 98% of the time. During a long hill climb at elevation in the mountains I have seen 173-175°. Again, completely normal.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Just like he said^^^^ Your transmission temperature is normal. Nothing to worry about. Now if you start scraping the 200 mark and beyond. You should worry.

jeeeep

Hooked
:thinking: am I missing a gauge? how are you guys seeing/measuring transmission temperature?

never mind..trail dash :doh:

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
:thinking: am I missing a gauge? how are you guys seeing/measuring transmission temperature?

never mind..trail dash :doh:

In addition to Traildash, there is an EVIC option from Jeep and it shows a handfull of digital engine readouts (coolant temp, trans temp, oil pressure).

MBezner

Thanks fellas! I have had the Hot Oil message in the dash on a long hill climb. But that was with 3.73 gears and I was in 4H. So I'm confident with 4.88 and the Trail Dash. I'll just watch the temp.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Thanks fellas! I have had the Hot Oil message in the dash on a long hill climb. But that was with 3.73 gears and I was in 4H. So I'm confident with 4.88 and the Trail Dash. I'll just watch the temp.

Just curious, we're you off road or was that on pavement?

rogerk93

Finally brought my jeep home from the shop yesterday. I had problems in the front differential so I regeared to 4.88. I bought a trail dash in order to correct speedo. I'm wondering what my transmission fluid temp should be? It was running around 145 degree at 65 to 70 mph. Then I turned into the wind and it jumped to 155. This seems normal just wondering if anybody out there knows what range it should be in?

2011 jkus
4 inch lift
35s

By the way 4.88 are perfect fit for the 35s. I'm still in break in mode but I put a little right foot in it just before I got home.

I installed an aftermarket transmission cooler and my tans temp is usually around 160 give or take 5 degrees but when I am jumping gears and giving it lots of gas I'll top off at 175 never had it go any higher. I have 33 km2 with the extra weights of steel bumpers and armor.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

My understanding is anytime you have had the HOT OIL message, you should have the tranny fluid flushed and replaced.

MBezner

Watched my tranny temp on the way here to Colorado yesterday. I had the jeep loaded up with gear. It ran great over Raton pass which is a 4 lane highway that has a little grade. My jeep dropped to about 64 mph in 3rd gear once and temp was about 190. I put evo LCA's on Tuesday and rolled the caster back to 5.1 and wow what a steering difference. It drives better than my pickup. So the tranny team stayed pretty low until the last leg of the drive. Which isn't anything I expected to cause problems. It's a winding mountain highway that doesn't have a particularly steep grade I would guess about 4% at most. My tranny temp built up to 202 at one point. I have a custom program in the trail dash and it's great for flat highway driving but I don't think it's what I want for mountain driving. Headed up the hill today so I'm wondering what program I should try in order to keep my temperature down? There's not a lot of big rocks to climb. It's just a steep steep hunting trail. I think we top out at 12500 ft or maybe more I can't remember exactly. I will be in 4lo as soon as I turn off the good road.

Saharacon

Sorry if this has been answered but have you installed an aftermarket tanny cooler? I had to add one even with the OEM tanny cooler installed I still ran into 210 range in 4hi.

It's sad the jeep can't even pull it's own weight with out getting to hot.

With mine installed I rarely ever creep past 180

MBezner

Sorry if this has been answered but have you installed an aftermarket tanny cooler? I had to add one even with the OEM tanny cooler installed I still ran into 210 range in 4hi.

It's sad the jeep can't even pull it's own weight with out getting to hot.

With mine installed I rarely ever creep past 180

No I don't have an aftermarket cooler installed. I will be ordering one in the near future.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
This is THE BEST way IMO to keep your temps down. Next step would be a Heavy Duty fan and aluminum radiator.

Which cooler did you add and where did you put it? Did you keep the stock cooler and add or did you replace the stock cooler?

I was laying under my jeep looking at a few things Thursday, don't ask why. The jeep had cooled enough in the 95* temps that the engine and exhaust were cool, but the tranny was still pretty hot. That was after only a 20 mile drive at about 70 mph average. It kind of surprised me.

Saharacon

I used a PSC dual kit. Gives me a power steering cooler as well as the aux tanny cooler. The bracket mounts on the out side facing the grille.

There are better options but I'm also on a budget

Top Bottom