2011 My 2011 JK Sport S have a Transmission Temp Sensor

WxNerd2015

I was looking into a possible upgrade on my 2011 JK Sport S to the premium EVIC from maybe a '14 or '15 (if i am able to find if they are compatible with the 2011 having a different engine) and I know one of the newer functions for those EVIC's is the ability to view the transmission temperature. I looked in the 2011 manual and they have it listed with an engine code that would show if it gets too hot, however it shows the *if equipped star next to it, so how could I figure out if my JK has one of not? Otherwise, is it hard to add for the factory sensor and into the harness to be reported on the Premium EVIC? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Your 2011 will notify you if your transmission temp gets to hot with a message on your odometer that states as much but that's about it. The screen that allows you to see a reading on the dash was something that was available until 2014. I don't think you can add this to your Jeep but, I could be wrong.

WxNerd2015

What if I upgraded the Instrument Cluster itself to a new unit with with the premium EVIC that can do that from 2014? Would that work then?

jedg

If you want transmission temp why not install a sensor and guage? Easier.

EDIT- I think an Aeroforce Interceptor will do this for a 2011.

Last edited:

MurderedJK

If you want transmission temp why not install a sensor and guage? Easier.

EDIT- I think an Aeroforce Interceptor will do this for a 2011.

Yes, I have one and it works great. It will read two values at a time (I have mine set to Coolant and Trans Temp). With a Tranny cooler, 35in wheels and 5.13 gears, my tranny temp is always at a cool 125-135 degrees. Aeroforce all the way.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Id recommend the aeroforce as well.

It's likely not even possible to upgrade yours. I have a 13. I looked into updating mine to show the values, I kind of wanted the digital speedo. To get it to work they had to reflash both the cluster and the pcm to make it think it was a 10A as that was only 13MY that got the premium evic. The pcm needs flashed so it sends the signals to the evic. Since you have a 3.8l the pcm software to send the signals likely doesn't exist as it was never a factory option. Aeroforce very easy to use and shows you more anyway

WxNerd2015

Yeah, I am aware of the Aeroforce gauges, they are very nice gauges that I very well may look into getting. I was asking about the trans temp sensor because I was looking to possibly upgrade the whole instrument cluster (if possible up to a '14+ gauge cluster) to one with the Premium EVIC which the cluster itself would have the ability from the factor tho report the trans temp value along with a bunch of other stuff like radio station, navigation directions, etc... I eventually may get a dual gauge pod with the aeroforce gauges in the future, however I do like the OEM look (as it keeps the inside a bit cleaner for now with less work, and the bigger modifications coming later down the road when I have more time and most of my money is not going to paying for my fiancé and my's wedding :crazyeyes: But she's a got a Jeep too, 2000 TJ, so worth it cuz she gets it :wings:) and would initially like to do an OEM upgrade as I did already add a 730n RHR in which was 100% plug and play and was just thinking this would be a cool upgrade if the Premium EVIC from the '12+ were compatible with the '11. :yup:

Thanks all for all the input! Keep the ideas coming! Love the Jeep community and how everyone is willing to provide input on stuff like this and help each other out! :thumb:

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The premium evic has to be able to talk to the pcm to show the values for trans temp, digital speed, oil temp and the other data I cannot remember what it is. It was launched in the 13MY 10th Anniversary edition then went into many others in 14MY. To get it to work you have to have the cluster and the right software in the pcm (engine control unit). The 11 has the 3.8l so that software doesn't exist. That was my only point.

WxNerd2015

Ok, I understand what you are saying with that! Sorry, don't mean to continue to push with questions but I am just very curious and want to get all the information that I can on this!

I understand the software in the module was not around until the late '13+ MYs, but my '11 does have such sensors for transmission temp, TPMS, etc. as going through the manual, even the basic console will receive input from these sensors, but all they do is display something like a message saying hot oil (or something like that) and turning the low tire pressure light on. Additionally, there was a premium EVIC that was available in '11 which was the early version of the upgraded EVIC that was available on all models.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all of these sensors and values being processed by the PCM with a value output being sent to the console? And then the console takes that output and decides what to show? So as long as the PCM is sending the correct output value for what it is reading, would an OEM cluster be able to understand and report those values, even speed and RPM and tire pressure and all that accurately? :thinking:

I ask this as well because I know there are companies such as Rubitrux and AEV who do Hemi swaps which also changes the PCM and the consoles also would just fine. Additionally, gauges like the Aeroforce can receive these values, meaning that there is a number output from the PCM that the cluster could access. This could be completely wrong, so if it is, go ahead and correct me with the right info, but just some ideas that I have had and wondering if this would be accurate?

Thanks guys! :thumb:

Top Bottom