Built stock d44 vs d60

Bags 697

So I've got a 2015 Rubicon with a 3.5 inch RE short arm superflex lift and 35's. I'm looking at upgrading my axles and because I haven't found the tree that money grows on I'm wondering if a Stock 44 with RCV shafts and Artec axle armor kit would be give me the durability needed to tackle some of the more difficult obstacles I may encounter when I get back to the mainland. I also plan on upgrading to a 4.5 inch long arm lift with 37's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do yourself a favor and do NOT throw any more money at your factory axle than you need to. It just isn't worth it. In the end, you'll still have a Dana 30 housing and knuckles with a Dana 44 diff and axle shafts. Build it up all you want and the housing will still bend - I have seen it. Play hard enough and your factory locker will fail - this has happened to me more than once before finally upgrading to a real axle. RCV are over priced and they don't stand behind their axles the way they claim to. Don't believe me, ask jnabird here on the forum. Also, after time and use, they make horrible loud snapping noises that RCV claims is normal.

If anything, I would recommend that you play with what you've got and save up some money until you can afford to get a ProRock 44 with an ARB. Get it with standard chromoly shafts with full circle clips, don't waste your money on orange knuckles and get a HD tie rod like the kind Currie makes. This will give you the setup you really want for a set of 37s.

jeeeep

Hooked
So I've got a 2015 Rubicon with a 3.5 inch RE short arm superflex lift and 35's. I'm looking at upgrading my axles and because I haven't found the tree that money grows on I'm wondering if a Stock 44 with RCV shafts and Artec axle armor kit would be give me the durability needed to tackle some of the more difficult obstacles I may encounter when I get back to the mainland. I also plan on upgrading to a 4.5 inch long arm lift with 37's.

by the time you spend for the RCV's and then the cost of a truss and welding (given that the welding process doesn't ruin your axle), new ball joints you're probably already at $2000 - $2500 into upgrading a stock axle. You can get a PR44 unlimited axle housing and transfer your rubi internals for less than $2500 then if you decide to upgrade to a 60 later on, that PR44 will bring you more money in resale value than a trussed D44.

I'd gusset and run it as is until it fails or do the PR44 unlimited up front.

I ran my 2010 d44 gusseted with 35's on many trails, If you pick your lines and really finesse when you lock up the front you should get good results and life from your D44 with 37's until you've saved up for a better axle.

I now have a PR44 with the stock gears, Ten Factory axles and 37's. I went with the PR44 was because I got hit in the front axle and instead of replacing it with another stock axle my insurance company applied the cost of the D44 towards the PR44.

cheers :beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom