How to disable your Jeep's traction control light

mackey

Don't get excited everyone, I do not know this answer. I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to permanently disable your Jeep's traction control light? I have a 2013 JKU. There must be some way to permanently turn the light off? Any ideas.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
One thread said if you pull the traction control fuse, the jeep won't start. I would also have to figure out which fuse it is. Could try it.

That would be the first time hearing about a Jeep doing that.

mackey

Are you wanting to disable the traction control or just turn the light off?

I definitely want to disable the light. So if it means to turn the traction control off to make it happen than that is ok. I also want to eliminate the brakes activating at weird times due to the traction control being activated and the light constantly coming on.

JAGS

Hooked
I definitely want to disable the light. So if it means to turn the traction control off to make it happen than that is ok. I also want to eliminate the brakes activating at weird times due to the traction control being activated and the light constantly coming on.

This is tough. On the newer models, all the safety measures are connected. So you risk killing the engine. I was looking up a few things and some state that the fuel pump is on the same fuse/module as the ABS/EPS, etc. Damn computers!!!

Sithwindu

Don't get excited everyone, I do not know this answer. I am trying to find out if anyone knows how to permanently disable your Jeep's traction control light? I have a 2013 JKU. There must be some way to permanently turn the light off? Any ideas.

Why is light in? Why not fix the reason it's on?

ttfhell

You can pull the abs fuse and the brakes won't kick in around turns etc. however the light will stay on when you pull the fuse and you lose your abs system on the road. Can't have it both ways...

JAGS

Hooked
You can pull the abs fuse and the brakes won't kick in around turns etc. however the light will stay on when you pull the fuse and you lose your abs system on the road. Can't have it both ways...

Is this true for a 2013? I read online (so must be true) that in the 13s + that the fuse being killed would kill other functions.

Not having ABS would be something to get used to. Has been a long time since the old school brakes were standard.

mackey

Why is light in? Why not fix the reason it's on?

I can't figure out why the light is on. The dealership used their computer to read the code. They are staying the light was activated due to the Dynatrac axles causing oversteering. The computer said it occurred once. They cleared the code and said it should be fine, but they cannot work on it due to it being the fault of aftermarket axles. They also said the computer showed nothing was wrong with the wheel speed sensors.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Hmmm, now I'm glad this thread came up. I honestly thought that I could just pull the fuse and be done with it. I guess not since I have a 14.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I can't figure out why the light is on. The dealership used their computer to read the code. They are staying the light was activated due to the Dynatrac axles causing oversteering. The computer said it occurred once. They cleared the code and said it should be fine, but they cannot work on it due to it being the fault of aftermarket axles. They also said the computer showed nothing was wrong with the wheel speed sensors.

Just a suggestion, but have you tried adjusting your steering stops?

mackey

Just a suggestion, but have you tried adjusting your steering stops?

I have a hard time believing the issue is actually that the Dynatrac axles allowed the jeep to over steer only on a single incident. If that is what the computer said, then why when they reset the code and had it turned off, does it automatically come back on when driving straight. It doesn't help that the dealership keeps blaming everything on aftermarket parts. I may get the jeep professionally aligned and try another dealership. The next dealership from me is 45 minutes away.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Sorry for the newb question here, but is the "kill switch" on the purple wire to the control box under the center console no longer a solution? I was planning on setting up my "Stability Handycaps" to be completely off with a switch, is that no longer the case? (2015 JKUR)

OP: have you tried the steering wheel dance?

Sorry guys if I'm way off base here. I'm interested in the topic.

Hmmm, now I'm glad this thread came up. I honestly thought that I could just pull the fuse and be done with it. I guess not since I have a 14.

Pulling the fuse works with the wife's Jeep (11') I've never tried with the 13'. Honestly, it has never been an issue for us with that rig.

OP -> are you straightening the wheel based off of what the computer sees or visual alignment? On the wife's Jeep the computer sees center where the wheel is not. It's only off a bit but it is enough that if I set the wheel visually straight the ESC will freak out on the slightest of bends. I think the ESC algorithm is on crack for the 2-doors and is more sensitive than the 4. :idontknow:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I have a hard time believing the issue is actually that the Dynatrac axles allowed the jeep to over steer only on a single incident. If that is what the computer said, then why when they reset the code and had it turned off, does it automatically come back on when driving straight. It doesn't help that the dealership keeps blaming everything on aftermarket parts. I may get the jeep professionally aligned and try another dealership. The next dealership from me is 45 minutes away.

I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a viable solution but figured I'd ask it anyway.

Pulling the fuse works with the wife's Jeep (11') I've never tried with the 13'. Honestly, it has never been an issue for us with that rig.

The only time I've considered it is when I take the Jeep onto the beach. Any time I hit some soft sand it kicks in. :grayno:

Top Bottom