How to disable your Jeep's traction control light

bsimon187

I pulled the fuse about 8 months ago. Got tired of messing with wheel sensors and brakes kicking in while taking turns, pulling out of my driveway, etc. Only annoying thing is the abs and traction lights are on all the time, but I would rather have that then get in a wreck because my brakes kicked on.

SaddleTramp

Pull the fuse, take the gauge cluster apart, there are a few YouTube videos for this, use a black vinyl dot sticker to cover abs and traction control light, put dash back together, problem solve. Lol

At least this was my plan on the old rig until the lights went away after Dynatrac had it a few days and we also changed replaced a PSC steering box with some lateral movement at the sector shaft which may have been throwing off the computer???

SaddleTramp

Pull the fuse, take the gauge cluster apart, there are a few YouTube videos for this, use a black vinyl dot sticker to cover abs and traction control light, put dash back together, problem solve. Lol

At least this was my plan on the old rig until the lights went away after Dynatrac had it a few days and we also changed replaced a PSC steering box with some lateral movement at the sector shaft which may have been throwing off the computer???

I was also going to do the abs kill switch too, once you pull the fuse you lose cruise control. Figured with the switch, I could kill it driving around town but selectively have cruise control when needed for longer trips.

jesse3638

Hooked
Does the steering wheel dance not work in 12' and up? That seemed to be the solution on the earlier models.

Byte

Interesting question. Ran my 2015 Rubi this past Saturday. It had rained lightly for several hours before I got out and a section of the groomed country gravel I was on had become saturated under the very light gravel surface. I noticed that with traction control in the default mode (I assume that to be TC turned on and no instrument cluster light on) the Jeep loved to wander nearly the entire width of the road with the instrument cluster light nearer to the tach flashing a few times to indicate TC was being engaged. That was trying to maintain a steady 35-40mph. Clicked the button to (again I assume) shut TC off and bam! hardly any wander and no flickering light in the instrument cluster. The TC light to the far left up against the speedo does light solid and shows the OFF. SO what I assume is going on is that in soupy mud the TC is trying wayyyy to hard to equalize wheel spin all around and causing mayhem in the muck. The way it seems to be configured makes sense from a manufacturers safety stand point - TC on by default w/ no indicators lit. Only indication it is on is really when you see the light flicker to indicate it's doing its business.

Judging by the progress of the thread it sounds like the people want the TC off and the light off. If I shut the engine off with TC off it is on when I restart the engine (no lights in instrument cluster). So here's my question, do the older jeeps let you turn TC off and it stays off through restarts causing you to see the light all the time? Or are you guys just used to starting the engine and clicking it off every time and then, of course, seeing the OFF light lit? That could be seriously annoying...

Am I completely lost? :hmm:

mackey

I talked with Dynatrac. They have never heard of their axle causing the tires to oversteer as the dealership stated. I have another appointment with the dealership tomorrow. Now when I start my jeep the traction control light is off. It comes on every time after driving straight after 1/4 mile. So I don't see how oversteering is the issue when I'm going straight. I will have the dealership read the code again and see if it the same reading. I'll update this thread once I learn more. So annoying.

mackey

So if anyone is bored and actually following this, my Jeep went to the dealership again for the traction control light. The service manager started off with the same BS talking about all the aftermarket parts causing the problems. They again states that over steering was due to my axles. I asked them to show my why the light comes on when I'm driving straight. They said they would assign their "master mechanic" to look it over.

Two hours later, they told me the cause was NOT due to the axles but a bad clock spring. But due to time issues it can't be fixed until next Thursday.

Now I must decide to allow them to work on it Thursday when I am hoping to go on the Quack Attack trip, leaving Friday. I just hope the clock spring is indeed the issue.

Top Bottom