Engine Sound

Torqt JK

I noticed a low "whine" coming from my engine (2012 3.6L 4.10 gears with 35") while rock crawling this past weekend and I think its been happening for quite a while. It gets slightly louder as I accelerate. My first thought was my alternator but don't know. Also, any suggestions on how to fix will be appreciated and should I be concerned?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
It might me a combination of a few things have you:

1. Changed your summer air out for winter air (tires)?

2. Checked your muffler bearings for wear?

:cheesy: Sounds like a PS pump to me.

WJCO

Meme King
Yep, PS noise. And I love Frank's contribution above too. I will have to add to that by recommending a wiper blade rotation. Fixed mine right away.

Torqt JK

So i topped off PS fluid and took it for a test, definitely makes more noise when turning. How can i fix on my own without getting raped at stealership?

WJCO

Meme King
So i topped off PS fluid and took it for a test, definitely makes more noise when turning. How can i fix on my own without getting raped at stealership?

Turn the wheel back and forth (stop to stop) several times to bleed any air out. If noise is still there after that, you need a new pump. You CAN drive it for awhile with the noise, but as the pump wears out, it could send metal throughout the system and could cause other issues. As far as fixing on your own, you can install a new pump yourself.

Torqt JK

Turn the wheel back and forth (stop to stop) several times to bleed any air out. If noise is still there after that, you need a new pump. You CAN drive it for awhile with the noise, but as the pump wears out, it could send metal throughout the system and could cause other issues. As far as fixing on your own, you can install a new pump yourself.

Thanks, when turning wheel back n forth should engine be running or just ignition on? also cap be on or off?

Torqt JK

Does the amount of acceleration effect the PS pump? because the noise def gets louder as i accelerate. I just watched some previous vids of my rig and the same thing, the noise coincides with the gas pedal and i'm crawling really slow

WJCO

Meme King
Yes it will get louder with rpm increase. Since the pump is belt driven, when your engine rpms are higher, the pump will make more noise. And also while steering, you are putting more of a load on the pump as well. To be even more sure that it's the pump, you can remove your belt and start the engine. If the noise is gone, it's one of the items driven by your belt (most likely your ps pump). If noise is still there (unlikely), then it is something else.

Torqt JK

Yes it will get louder with rpm increase. Since the pump is belt driven, when your engine rpms are higher, the pump will make more noise. And also while steering, you are putting more of a load on the pump as well. To be even more sure that it's the pump, you can remove your belt and start the engine. If the noise is gone, it's one of the items driven by your belt (most likely your ps pump). If noise is still there (unlikely), then it is something else.

That makes sense, thanks again

jeeeep

Hooked
I thought the bleeding process was similar to bleeding for a ram assist:

1. The vehicle’s battery should always be disconnected before any modifications are made.
2. Make sure all of the fittings in the power steering system are tight.
3. Raise all steering tires off the ground.
4. Fill reservoir with power steering fluid (NEVER use automatic transmission fluid). Leave the cap off of the reservoir.
5. Cycle the steering from lock to lock three or four times.
6. Check fluid level in reservoir. fill as needed.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until a consistent level in the reservoir is reached.
8. Reconnect the battery. Replace the cap on the reservoir.
9. Start the vehicle and let it run without any steering input for 30 seconds.
10. Turn off engine.
11. Check and fill reservoir as needed, replacing cap when done.
12. Start engine and cycle steering from lock to lock 10-15 times.
13. Turn off the engine and let it stand for 10 minutes to allow air bubbles to work out of the system.
14. Repeat steps 11-14 until there are no air bubbles visible in the reservoir.
15. With the engine running, observe the fluid level in the reservoir. While looking in the reservoir, turn on the engine. The fluid level should not change.
16. If the level does not change, check the system for leaks. If there are no leaks, test drive the vehicle. If the level does change start over at step 4.

Torqt JK

I thought the bleeding process was similar to bleeding for a ram assist:

1. The vehicle’s battery should always be disconnected before any modifications are made.
2. Make sure all of the fittings in the power steering system are tight.
3. Raise all steering tires off the ground.
4. Fill reservoir with power steering fluid (NEVER use automatic transmission fluid). Leave the cap off of the reservoir.
5. Cycle the steering from lock to lock three or four times.
6. Check fluid level in reservoir. fill as needed.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until a consistent level in the reservoir is reached.
8. Reconnect the battery. Replace the cap on the reservoir.
9. Start the vehicle and let it run without any steering input for 30 seconds.
10. Turn off engine.
11. Check and fill reservoir as needed, replacing cap when done.
12. Start engine and cycle steering from lock to lock 10-15 times.
13. Turn off the engine and let it stand for 10 minutes to allow air bubbles to work out of the system.
14. Repeat steps 11-14 until there are no air bubbles visible in the reservoir.
15. With the engine running, observe the fluid level in the reservoir. While looking in the reservoir, turn on the engine. The fluid level should not change.
16. If the level does not change, check the system for leaks. If there are no leaks, test drive the vehicle. If the level does change start over at step 4.

Ok, I will try this tonight. Thanks for the step by step breakdown. Why do you say never use ATF?

Devallee

What would be some other symptoms of a bad PS pump? My jeep has been making this sound for as long as I can remember but I've never lost any steering and it doesn't seem like it's much harder to steer. I also can see my PS fluid almost looks like it's boiling while the engine is running (hot or cold) is that a problem? Jeep has 70k and never replaced it as far as I know

Torqt JK

What would be some other symptoms of a bad PS pump? My jeep has been making this sound for as long as I can remember but I've never lost any steering and it doesn't seem like it's much harder to steer. I also can see my PS fluid almost looks like it's boiling while the engine is running (hot or cold) is that a problem? Jeep has 70k and never replaced it as far as I know

I don't know what else would cause it. Im in the same boat you are in. Its made this sound for as long as i can remember but steering has been fine, so far (knock on wood). Tonight I checked fluid, looks perfectly clean, not dark at all, no burnt smell, I added some lucas PS fluid w/ conditioners, had it on jacks as I cycled the steering. Fluid level never changed one bit after cycle and engine running no bubbles but still makes that noise. I don't know if the dirty or worn out bearings would make that noise :thinking: Don't really want to replace and spend the $ but also dont want my PS to go out on my while on the trail.

Top Bottom