daverawr's "Late Night" JKUR Build

daverawr

SO. I know this will be my second thread for my JKUR but this time it is named ! :D Explanation will be lower in the thread.

so heres the background info first.

So originally i was in a 2014 Subaru STI as pictured below
Tumblr 1.jpg

This beautiful race car well i felt it was a race car to me, was flooded in May during a ridiculous flash flood in Houston.
After being flooded my first choice was to get a FJ Cruiser as that was the car i was planning on getting before getting the Subaru. (Due to having dogs and regularly having to pack up the car quite a bit and wanted to get out and explore the outdoors )
But all the Trail Teams were being sold and couldnt find the right one. Then came the beauty i have now.
After test driving about 6-7 JK's, regular JKU and JKUR's and one JKUR artic that i really wanted sold infront of me, I test drove my Jeep.
Fell in love right away. It was Manual, was already lifted, front and rear bumpers were good, drove very nice, and very low miles for a 2011! only 14,000 miles.! previous owner had good taste in what he put on as well, quality parts is the only thing i saw on it. Except for the driving pods on the front, they take a while to get bright and wish they were a bit brighter.

Enough of that here she is !

IMG_5588.jpg IMG_5598.jpg IMG_5994.jpg

Took her mudding once and it deffinately left the stock fenders looking extra faded and nasty havent been able to bring the black or dark grey back out of it

So as she sits here is the list of things done!:
-Warn 8k Winch
-ARB Deluxe Combo Bull Bar
-Expedition One Trail Series Bumper
-Expedition One Smooth Motion Tire Carrier
-HIDX Offroad lighting Pods
-Rough Country 2.5 inch budget boost
-Mickey Thompson Classic III Wheel silver 18x9
-35 inch BFGoodrich A/T KO
-Weather Tech Mats throughout.
-NFAB Nerf Steps ( Want to change to some Rockers, LOD or Evo )

I have alot i want to do to this rig but it will be slowly but surely. but for now here is a list of things i want to get done

-Cut Stock fenders [ completed 10-3-15 at 2AM LOL ]
-LED Headlamps [ completed 8-12-15 ]
-Evo or LOD Rockers
-Brighter Light pods
-4.88 or 5.13 gearing
-Front Runner or GOBI Roof rack system
-CB Radio
-Full Suspension lift
-Expedition One Jerry can mount for Tire carrier
-Seat covers
-Hard wire switch inside the cabin for winch
-Snorkel
-Rock lights
-Trail Doors
-Synthetic winch line
-Roof Rack

More mods im sure when i think of them. but this Jeep will not be for any extreme offroading just something to have fun in, so mods will support that idea.

This car will be road tripped to Colorado and Moab Utah in November so if anything i should add to the list or make sure i get before the trip please advise me and recommend. Always open to advice and opinions

Last edited:

daverawr

So first mod i made personally was getting rid of the dim, lack of light stock headlights that came on the Jeep.
I switched them out with LED Headlight i bought locally which were directly plug and play. And man these things THROW light down the road. Feels like im driving with my high beams on! Decision was between these and the Trucklites but these were local and didnt have to pay shipping.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439413249.096970.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439436452.162289.jpg

daverawr

Second thing took me quite a while to get done but it is the reason for the name of my Jeep, "Late Night"
So on Oct 2-3 I took part in the Texas area Wayalifers and i had planned to cut my fenders ahead of time so my wheels would be eating away at my fenders when wheeling (like my last time at Hidden Falls), but with my luck none of my buddies around my area had a sawzall/angle grinder with cut off wheel, and my procrastination made finding one harder.

But thankfully to Tom ( tdougherty81 ) he offered to bring his angle grinder with a cutoff wheel with him so I could use it at Hidden Falls to cut my fenders.
To make it shorter, with a few other great guys, Brad, David, Clayton and those whom's name i forgot we decided at about 11pm after a spontaneous night time run on the trails to go ahead and cut my fenders. and with the light from the stars and the moon we ended up cutting the fenders all the way untill about 2:30 AM !! Was crazy idea to cut at night but it worked out ! ahah
And it became one of the most memorable parts of the trip.

Here is the outcome and the second mod to my car! haha
12063365_976265052432135_6775360312772808132_n.jpg 12065899_976265079098799_8913019322224562769_n.jpg

Here is a pic the next morning when we went wheeling
IMG-20151006-WA0010.jpg
Thanks to Carlos' wife for snapping this sweet picture!

daverawr

Sorry to hear about the STI! However, that is one badass Jeep! Hope to see that list get checked off fast!

It okay, I was always taught that everything happens for a reason :) Thanks for the kind words about the Jeep as well ! and Brown santa should be coming soon haha ;) so i can check one thing of the list, thanks to Trail Jeeps, for holding that Wayalife member sale!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Sweet! I was wondering when this was going to pop up! Definitely subscribed!

Damn man, I've probably seen you around town long before we both had jeeps...

Attachments

• 1445697428158.jpg
    1445697428158.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 191

daverawr

Alright looks like after months of waiting they have finally arrived !!. My EVO Rocksliders that is ! Prep and paint this week with hopefully weld up by Friday and test them on the trails this weekend for camping trip! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452718627.262686.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452718641.612578.jpg

daverawr

So guys today I finish prep and paint for the rock sliders.
First to start the prep I sanded off all the surface build up and oxidizing residue etc with a really gritty sanding sponge.
After that the metal was showing a luster and real fresh metal for the metal to adhere. I used a acetone based paint thinner to wipe the metal off to pick up dust and residue from sanding it.
The the painting process. I was confused about what I was going to do. Either use POR 15 first then spray black Bedliner then spray it tan color to get the tan I wanted. Or skip using the por. In the end I didn't do either option. Found out about a already tan Bedliner from a spray can and only used that. It had rust prevention on the can so no use in por. And it was already tan so need to use a black Bedliner. And the end result was very good. For $30 in bed liner instead of spending hundreds. Here is the results, will post better pics during the day ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452838697.634133.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452838710.999665.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452838722.467658.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452838740.618839.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452838753.886510.jpg

daverawr

Some shots of the rocksliders I painted / bed lined last night all with Tan bedliner from a spray can I got at auto zone [emoji106]I know the post where they get welded isn't fully covered but I did that on purpose since the welding will be done. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452901614.157688.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452901626.456112.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1452901637.026621.jpg

Exodus 4x4

That's going to be a nice contrast. Now you know you're going to have to pull everything else and do it the same way lol

Top Bottom