Something isn't correct with rear axle

metalic

My passenger rear looks like it's leaning in at the top. I haven't taking any hard hits.
It's a stock housing with ten factory shafts. It doesn't matter if you take weight off, roll it, or anything. Could it be anything besides a bent housing?

metalic

I've been running this setup all year. Just notice this tonight after we was wheeling this weekend. I got in a bind and was winched out bit wouldn't think that would of bent a housing. Attached is both wheels on level concrete and a pic of me being winched.

Attachments

• 1445912497041.jpg
    1445912497041.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 1445912504570.jpg
    1445912504570.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 149
  • 1445912592649.jpg
    1445912592649.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Heholua

I've been running this setup all year. Just notice this tonight after we was wheeling this weekend. I got in a bind and was winched out bit wouldn't think that would of bent a housing. Attached is both wheels on level concrete and a pic of me being winched.

You probably have a bent axle flange.

WJCO

Meme King

Is the tire wearing evenly? It looks like it in the picture.

^EDIT: Just re-read that this happened over the weekend. Nevermind. I would get out a measuring tape and see if indeed the tire is leaning inward.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Quite common to bend the rear axle shaft flange. Hopefully that's all it is, and the housing didn't bend. It is also possible to bend the housing. best way to find out is to jack up the rear of your Jeep, put in in neutral, and spin the tire. If it appears to wobble, you have a bent flange, if it stays bent in at the top but spins straight, you likely have a bent housing.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Quite common to bend the rear axle shaft flange. Hopefully that's all it is, and the housing didn't bend. It is also possible to bend the housing. best way to find out is to jack up the rear of your Jeep, put in in neutral, and spin the tire. If it appears to wobble, you have a bent flange, if it stays bent in at the top but spins straight, you likely have a bent housing.

^^ this...I just bent my flange about 2 weeks ago. Wasn't a serious bind so I didn't think I did anything either, but sure enough it was bent. Good luck tracking down the issue

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you now hear a squeaking in the rear as well? If so, it's definitely a bent flange and as mentioned, it's a common thing.

Top Bottom