2016 JKU inbound and Daddy needs a new set of shoes . . .

tbird911

Guys,

Somebody help me hit the easy button on this . . .been reading 'till I'm blue between the ears!

2016 JKU (3.73 gears Automatic) Billet Silver Willys Inbound.

I live in East Tennessee at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains . . .
I'm planning on using the Jeep for a trail/woods jeep/overland-- not a Crawl Monster. The Jeep will be my daily driver and I average about 20k miles a year. I expect 75% road and 25% off-road- but you never know.

We see a fair amount of cold sloppy weather here in the winters and a fair amount of rainy slipper roads. Not much sand and a fair amount of rocks on the trails. I'm going to have a great local guy (Jason@Rockyour4x4) set me up with a 2.5" lift, but I don't think I want 35" tires.

I would however like solid true 34s or tall 33s. I kinda like the look of pizza cutters rather than fat ones. It comes with 17" Rubicon rims (which I think I have sold.)

Help me pick matte black rims (and what size) and the best tire choice based on my description above. Remember, pretty sure I don't want 35s . . .but . . .

Thanks a ton!

Tbird

WJCO

Meme King
I believe 315/70R17 will be a true 34. I currently have BFG mud-terrains and am not impressed with their performance in rain or snow, otherwise they're good. BFG all-terrains on the other hand, I've had 3 different sets on 3 different vehicles and love them all around.

WJCO

Meme King
I think I remembered reading that.... Which model# is the all terrain your referring to?

BFG All-terrain T/A. I've used them in sand, snow, mud, etc. They wear well if you keep them rotated and every set I've had has lasted around 35k to 40k. An overall great tire IMO.

I've love the MUDs I have now except in packed snow and rain. They just don't grip well. I did have them siped, and noticed much better traction, but still no where near other tires that I've used on packed snowy roads.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would however like solid true 34s or tall 33s. I kinda like the look of pizza cutters rather than fat ones.

Since you don't seem to know it, an advertised 35" tire WILL have a true measurement that will be just about 33"-34".

jorgelrod

Hooked
Posting outside of the usual recomentdations, may I recommend the Cooper ST MAX, sounds like a tire right up your alley...

Coopers are excellent tires

RTillery

I went with the new BFG 34/10.50/17 KO2s. I was a little disappointed when they measured about 32.5" on the stock rims. That said, I am happy with the aggressive look and the ride and handling are terrific. The snow rating was what most attracted me, and I am going to the high country in Colorado next week to go elk hunting. Should be a good test. I'd do it again.

I'm planning on using the Jeep for a trail/woods jeep/overland...

The Jeep will be my daily driver...

I expect 75% road and 25% off-road...

We see a fair amount of cold sloppy weather here in the winters and a fair amount of rainy slipper roads. Not much sand and a fair amount of rocks on the trails.

Tbird

You might like the Duratracs. I have these and I use them in about the ratio you are looking for. I drive them daily like you would. I have owned these in the winter months in the northeast. They have plenty of siping for wet/icy roads.

I've been off-road with them to Rausch Creek, Uwharrie and most recently Windrock. They handle the trail really well in my opinion.

According to their site, Goodyear says the 285/70/17 is 33" tall.

They're quiet on-road and look good as well.

I've had them in 255/75/17 and now 315/70/17 and both sets performed flawlessly for me. No regrets here.

Pyro1415

Tennessee if you want one tire all year is say duratracs if you avoid the mud the bfg ko2 would work too. I ran the km2s in Germany and they were great until they hit black ice and I slide approximately 25 ft into an intercession sideways at 3mph.

Pyro1415

You might like the Duratracs. I have these and I use them in about the ratio you are looking for. I drive them daily like you would. I have owned these in the winter months in the northeast. They have plenty of siping for wet/icy roads.

I've been off-road with them to Rausch Creek, Uwharrie and most recently Windrock. They handle the trail really well in my opinion.

According to their site, Goodyear says the 285/70/17 is 33" tall.

They're quiet on-road and look good as well.

I've had them in 255/75/17 and now 315/70/17 and both sets performed flawlessly for me. No regrets here.

I promise you the 315 duratracs will measure 33.5" mounted and under the jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
I promise you the 315 duratracs will measure 33.5" mounted and under the jeep.

Are you talking from the ground to the top of the tire due to the tire being compressed with the vehicle weight? Or are you talking measuring any point of the tire's diameter, even side to side. May sound like a stupid question, but I will have to do some trimming on my WJ if I decide to go with these tires and I want to know if the true diameter of them is 34.4 or not. Side to side diameter is primarily what I'm asking about so I know about rubbing while turning.

Top Bottom