35s on 4.11

Jkmaxxx2011

Typical jeep driver always wanting bigger tires! I have a 2011 unlimited rubi with 4.11s how are 35s going to handle with them or should I just wait to buy 4.88s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, first off, you have 4.10's not 11's :crazyeyes: But, to answer your question, it won't be so bad so long as you make sure to recalibrate your speedometer. Your speedo controls your shift points and if it's off, it'll make your Jeep feel worse that it is. If you can afford to regear, 4.88's will bring you back up to about stock performance and 5.13's will give you a bit more pep.

Jkmaxxx2011

Well, first off, you have 4.10's not 11's :crazyeyes: But, to answer your question, it won't be so bad so long as you make sure to recalibrate your speedometer. Your speedo controls your shift points and if it's off, it'll make your Jeep feel worse that it is. If you can afford to regear, 4.88's will bring you back up to about stock performance and 5.13's will give you a bit more pep.

Ahhhh okay. Keep seeing people running them but I felt like it'd be pushing it

Jkmaxxx2011

Eddy I have a question for you. I live in fresno ca very close to the dusy trail. Do you plan on doing it again?? Did you enjoy it??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhhh okay. Keep seeing people running them but I felt like it'd be pushing it

Like I said, so long as you make sure to recalibrate your speedo, it isn't too bad. It'd be better to regear for sure but, 4.10's and 35's can be tollerable.

Eddy I have a question for you. I live in fresno ca very close to the dusy trail. Do you plan on doing it again?? Did you enjoy it??

I drive a really wide JK, 88" wide and running the Dusy in it is a pain. The trail is really really long, dusty, super narrow and exhausting more than it is difficult. I really like the first 10 miles and the last 10 miles of it but, the middle 10 just sucks the life out of you. Will I do it again, sure, but it won't be anytime soon. Maybe August at the soonest.

Jkmaxxx2011

Like I said, so long as you make sure to recalibrate your speedo, it isn't too bad. It'd be better to regear for sure but, 4.10's and 35's can be tollerable.

I drive a really wide JK, 88" wide and running the Dusy in it is a pain. The trail is really really long, dusty, super narrow and exhausting more than it is difficult. I really like the first 10 miles and the last 10 miles of it but, the middle 10 just sucks the life out of you. Will I do it again, sure, but it won't be anytime soon. Maybe August at the soonest.

That's what I've heard it that it's "too long". While you were hear did you do any of the "bald mountain trail"

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I've heard it that it's "too long". While you were hear did you do any of the "bald mountain trail"

We haven't done Bald yet but, we've done Red, Coyote and Swamp as well as a few of the easier off shoots in the area. Fun stuff, we love it up there :yup:

Jkmaxxx2011

We haven't done Bald yet but, we've done Red, Coyote and Swamp as well as a few of the easier off shoots in the area. Fun stuff, we love it up there :yup:

Great to hear!! Next time ill have to join you guys. I have a friend with a built jk. My stock jeep can't handle the dusy yet lol

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I've been running 4:10's with 315 duratracs for a while now. I got the superchip programmer to calibrate the spedo and it hasn't been that bad all. On the highway I have to turn off the O/D when I hit hills otherwise she keeps shifting back and forth. On the trails she'll run out of power on steep inclines and I'll have to shift into 4 lo. Only time that's a problem is when I'm in deep snow but all in all it's doable. I do plan on gearing to 5:13 or 5:38 once I get home though (like you said, you always want to upgrade the tires.) Just some input from someone who is doing a similar setup.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How does one recalibrate our speedos????

The cheapest way is to buy an AEV ProCal. It'll allow you to do this. A lot of programmers like a Hypertec or Superchips will allow you to do this as well but, they are more expensive.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks for starting this thread Jeep-Creep. I am wanting to move to 35s and also have 4.10 gears. :beer:

wheelie

Eddy, I have a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon with the stock 4.1 ratios and I am running 32.5" Maxxis Bighorns. Power on the open road is ok if I have the overdrive switched off, but with the overdrive on there is just no power. Remember we are running 120km/h on our roads, and with the overdrive on this means about 2000rpm's, meaning no power to push this brick shape through the wind at 120. So I bought 5.38 ratios, planning to fit 35" wheels and to gain some power as well 'cause sometimes I tow my offroad trailer which is about 1.3 tons fully loaded. Fitting the 5.38 ratios would mean that I can use the overdrive as well when towing, 'cause I will be running close to 2600 rpm at 120 with 35's. That should give me enough power to tow and bring the gear ratios closer for 1, 2 and 3. But somewhere I read that you had issues with your 5.38 ratios because the pinion is too thin. This is a concern and I have decided now not to fit the 5.38 ratios, but to swap them for 5.13 maybe. Do you think this will be a good option (5.13 ratios) for towing at 120 on 35's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddy, I have a 2011 Unlimited Rubicon with the stock 4.1 ratios and I am running 32.5" Maxxis Bighorns. Power on the open road is ok if I have the overdrive switched off, but with the overdrive on there is just no power. Remember we are running 120km/h on our roads, and with the overdrive on this means about 2000rpm's, meaning no power to push this brick shape through the wind at 120. So I bought 5.38 ratios, planning to fit 35" wheels and to gain some power as well 'cause sometimes I tow my offroad trailer which is about 1.3 tons fully loaded. Fitting the 5.38 ratios would mean that I can use the overdrive as well when towing, 'cause I will be running close to 2600 rpm at 120 with 35's. That should give me enough power to tow and bring the gear ratios closer for 1, 2 and 3. But somewhere I read that you had issues with your 5.38 ratios because the pinion is too thin. This is a concern and I have decided now not to fit the 5.38 ratios, but to swap them for 5.13 maybe. Do you think this will be a good option (5.13 ratios) for towing at 120 on 35's?

First off, is that 32.5" the actual tire size, the metric size converted or, the actual size listed on the sidewall? Second, did you make sure to recalibrate your speedometer after installing your new tires and do so correctly? If not, your shift points will be off that would explain your significant power loss. Third, it is my opinion that 5.38's would be too high a ratio for just 35's. I've run 5.13's with 35's and liked it a lot but, it was borderline too much. Last but not least, yes, a 5.38 pinion is really small in a Dana 44 and it will be a weak point.

wheelie

The 32.5" is the actual tyre size, it is a rough measurement. They say it is 33", but not really. I used the AEV Procall Module to recalibrate the speedo and shifting points, was a bit better, but still not good enough for towing.

Will you recommend the 5.13 ratios with 35's? Is it ok to tow 1.3 ton with the overdrive switched on?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The 32.5" is the actual tyre size, it is a rough measurement. They say it is 33", but not really. I used the AEV Procall Module to recalibrate the speedo and shifting points, was a bit better, but still not good enough for towing.

Will you recommend the 5.13 ratios with 35's? Is it ok to tow 1.3 ton with the overdrive switched on?

A 33" tires should have a true measurement that is closer to 31.5", not 32.5". Your speedometer is more than likely still off. You need to measure from the ground up to the shoulder of your tire, the corner where the sidewall becomes the tread to get an accurate measurement. That should help a bit more but, you're right, not enough for towing.

I would not recommend anything over a 5.13 in a Dana 44 in general but, that's just me.

wheelie

Thanks Eddy, I will just confirm the tyre size, but the speedo was about 4km/h out at 120km/h with the standard wheels and when I fitted the 33's it was almost spot on, when I changed the settings via Procal it was about the same again as stock. True speed measured with my Garmin GPS. Maybe I should play with tyre size settings a bit then.

I think I should try and swap my 5.38 ratios for 5.13 ratios.

I appreciate your feedback, thanks a million!

Top Bottom