Clutch rattle ???

Mediumsizetony

Running a 14 Jku Long story short. I jumped out of the jeep. And left it running in neutral came back out and noticed a rattle that seems to be coming from the clutch area is normal for the jku's ~ thanks ps sorry is has already Been covered.

Lance628

Running a 14 Jku Long story short. I jumped out of the jeep. And left it running in neutral came back out and noticed a rattle that seems to be coming from the clutch area is normal for the jku's ~ thanks ps sorry is has already Been covered.

Does it go away when you push the clutch in??

WJCO

Meme King
I concur. The only way you'll no for sure is to pull out the trans. Either a Throw out bearing or a worn/damaged finger on the pressure plate. Either way, comes as a kit. There is the unlikely event it could be a pilot bearing or input shaft bearing on trans, but if the noise goes away when you push in the clutch, it's most likely isolated to throw out bearing area.

OJK12

I had a twelve with the stick and it had the rattle as well from the time it had 5,000 miles on it. I think it's just the that tranny is noisy. My buddies '13 did the same thing as well and it seems a lot of people have it. If you push the pedal in very slightly it goes away and mine would make more noise while off-road when it was hot but once it cooled you would not hear it much. Not saying there couldn't be anything wrong but I wouldn't get too worried about. I ran mine up to 30,000 with the noise before I traded for an auto and never had trouble with it.

Siebermd

I had this same noise show up. I hate to share the bad news but. Time for a new clutch. You could run it like that for a long time. However it wont change or go away. Its just going to get noisier.

greggnj

I have the same problem. I knew it had to be the TOB. I'm trying to hold of until my wife gets a new car so I'll have an extra vehicle. I'm not convinced I can get this done on a Sunday. Bound to have some kind of problem....

For guys that have done the clutch are you having the flywheel resurfaced?

Mediumsizetony

So I came out today and didn't hear anything I bought it with about 8 k and I put a lil over 4K on it. So I'm gonna keep an eye on it and see what happenstance I really appreciate the replies

Skid_Kid

I have the same problem. I knew it had to be the TOB. I'm trying to hold of until my wife gets a new car so I'll have an extra vehicle. I'm not convinced I can get this done on a Sunday. Bound to have some kind of problem....

For guys that have done the clutch are you having the flywheel resurfaced?

I would always recommend when doing a new clutch to resurface the flywheel. Think of it as doing brakes, if you do a pad slap and not resurface the rotors, you have a chance of eating new pads due to warp. Just my thoughts.

Ant's JK

I had the same noise on my 12 and like others have stated it happened at around 5k. On my new 15 like clock work it came back at 5k.

rich67

Caught the Bug
Actually, that rattle is not the TOB. The rattle exists on pretty much every manual Wrangler I have been around 13 and 14's in particular. The TOB is going bad when you have a "rusty spring" creaking noise when you are pressing the clutch pedal in about mid-stroke. The noise comes right from the tranny itself, but is loud enough to be heard/felt when pulling into the driveway or garage with the windows up. Another indicator of a TOB issue is a small squealing noise coming from the same area when the clutch pedal is up. As soon as you even slightly press the pedal, the noise goes away.
My 13 went in the shop 2 months ago for the TOB, which was found to be bad and replaced under warranty. It made the noise again a month later, went back, and again it was replaced. As soon as I drove it away, I started hearing the squeal (which almost sounded like a water pump bearing going bad--which I also had replaced under warranty). It has been back in the shop since Tuesday, and they are tearing it down to try to fix the issue once and for all...especially since my warranty is up in 5 days. :eek:
The rattle (almost like a diesel sound) is present in my buddies 14 JK as well, and it seems to me like that is just truly "a Jeep thing".

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Actually, that rattle is not the TOB. The rattle exists on pretty much every manual Wrangler I have been around 13 and 14's in particular. The TOB is going bad when you have a "rusty spring" creaking noise when you are pressing the clutch pedal in about mid-stroke. The noise comes right from the tranny itself, but is loud enough to be heard/felt when pulling into the driveway or garage with the windows up. Another indicator of a TOB issue is a small squealing noise coming from the same area when the clutch pedal is up. As soon as you even slightly press the pedal, the noise goes away.
My 13 went in the shop 2 months ago for the TOB, which was found to be bad and replaced under warranty. It made the noise again a month later, went back, and again it was replaced. As soon as I drove it away, I started hearing the squeal (which almost sounded like a water pump bearing going bad--which I also had replaced under warranty). It has been back in the shop since Tuesday, and they are tearing it down to try to fix the issue once and for all...especially since my warranty is up in 5 days. :eek:
The rattle (almost like a diesel sound) is present in my buddies 14 JK as well, and it seems to me like that is just truly "a Jeep thing".

my clutch "chatters", and if i rest my foot on the clutch peddle, it stops instantly. The clutch peddle also makes a "creaking" sound mid stroke when pressing the clutch (EVERY time, with the jeep running or not). my jeep is a 2015 w/ about 14k on the OD... maybe I should take it to the dealer?

Lance628

my clutch "chatters", and if i rest my foot on the clutch peddle, it stops instantly. The clutch peddle also makes a "creaking" sound mid stroke when pressing the clutch (EVERY time, with the jeep running or not). my jeep is a 2015 w/ about 14k on the OD... maybe I should take it to the dealer?

Mine had that chatter and it was the fingers on the pressure plate not fully coming back

Mediumsizetony

Wow I guess I'm not the only one lol I contact the dealer and see what they say

rich67

Caught the Bug

The chatter doesn't indicate a bad TOB, but the creaking does. Trust me, even after they throw a new TOB in there, it will continue to rattle. Mine does. If it's under warranty, I'd definitely take it to the dealer...

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The chatter doesn't indicate a bad TOB, but the creaking does. Trust me, even after they throw a new TOB in there, it will continue to rattle. Mine does. If it's under warranty, I'd definitely take it to the dealer...

its a 2015, with 14k miles, Its under warranty. :thumb: I'll set something up next week. Thanks

Top Bottom