caster angle

Hi all

I´m about to buy a ome 2 inch lift kit. Lets asume that the lift will actually only be 2 inch and not more since I will also buy a arb bull bar and a winch. Also have LOD rocksliders on the side. So hopefully I will only get 2 inch of lift when ordering the right springs for this setup.

Now to my question. Will the caster angle be very bad with a tiny little 2 inch lift?

If I do choose to also buy the caster correctin kit which is some kinds of camber bolts ( do not feel good about that since it requires you making bigger holes for lfc arms ). How bad will the pinion angle at the transfer case be?

I´m a bit worried about the pinion angle I last thing I need is to fuck up my beloved jeep. I´m also worried that a to little caster will screw up the road manners and if that happens my wife will come to get me:shock:

I will also buy the rear panhard relocation bracket. That bracket is mounted to the axle and not the frame. Is that bad or ok?

The jeep is a 4 door saharah 2012, so pentastar and 5 speed auto.

Best Regards

Christian

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You will NOT need the caster correction and I would recommend strongly AGAINST installing them. The OME lift should give you only 2" of lift and I can almost guarantee you that you won't even notice any change what so ever at highway speeds.

WJCO

Meme King
I think a TeraFlex Rzeppa joint will fix all your problems with your pinion angle.

i-kid-i-kid-thumb.jpg

I figured I'd jump on here before this guy tries to sell you a new drive shaft:

10195007a.jpg

You will NOT need the caster correction and I would recommend strongly AGAINST installing them. The OME lift should give you only 2" of lift and I can almost guarantee you that you won't even notice any change what so ever at highway speeds.

Thanks a lot for your help. I will NOT install the caster correction kit. Did not like the idea of egging out the holes.

What about the pinion angle? no problem at only 2 inch lift?

Hopefully the rubber boot will not be destroyed against the y-pipe.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks a lot for your help. I will NOT install the caster correction kit. Did not like the idea of egging out the holes.

What about the pinion angle? no problem at only 2 inch lift?

Hopefully the rubber boot will not be destroyed against the y-pipe.

Nope you don't need to worry about your pinion angle either with that little of a lift

Ddays

Hooked
LOL - beware Christian! Once you push that button there's no turning back! You will start the slide into Jeep madness like the rest of us!

gary2

3" lift cut my caster in half . I lost 2 degrees so . I would bet you will lose 1 degree at least. Being we have a marginal amount of caster to begin with I would want to restore every little bit I could. I would buy a good set of adjustable front lower control arms. I prefer arms that use Currie's "Johnny Joints" for the lower fronts. Johnny Joints hold the front axle tightly in place which means less steering correction when driving as a side benefit. A JJ will not limit articulation as some Bushing/joints do and they have a history of lasting a long time with next to no maintenance . You can then dial your caster back to original specs easily now or anytime you alter your suspension that may effect caster free and easily. A good set of adjustable lower front control arms is a part you will never regret buying I know I never have . Just make sure its an arm that's been around a long time with a great history.

Last edited:
So, now my ome 2 inch liftkit has arrived.

I choosed the 2618 coil in front since I´ve ordered a ARB bullbar that weighs 95 lbs and a winch with additional 90 lbs.

Rear i took the light coil 2617. All acording to spechsheet so hopefully I will only gain 50 mm as advertised. Thinking about the driveshaft in front and caster.

I also took the extra fk37 rear panhard relocation bracket kit. In this kit there is a frame mounted bracket and also 2 bumpstop that mesure 45 mm. That is 1,77 inch, so just a little less than 2 inch of bumpstop.

So rear stuff seems to be a no brainer even for me, just install, drive and have fun.

However, for the front there where nothing extra to order. So just have coils and shocks. The front shock ome n196 ( the older style, not the newer sport ) have a lenght of 348 mm ( 13,7 inch ) fully closed. Will this shock really fit when axle is fully flexed upwards or will the shock bottom out and maybee take damage?

Can not find any info on ome or arb website about this.

Thanks

Christian

plext0r

However, for the front there where nothing extra to order. So just have coils and shocks. The front shock ome n196 ( the older style, not the newer sport ) have a lenght of 348 mm ( 13,7 inch ) fully closed. Will this shock really fit when axle is fully flexed upwards or will the shock bottom out and maybee take damage?

I'm not familiar with the OME lift install, but I imagine you need some bump stops to avoid what you describe. Don't ask what brand of bump stops I recommend since I used hockey pucks when I replaced the existing budget lift with 4" Evo Plush coils and Fox shocks. :blush:

I´ve done more reading since my last post and for what I can se there should not be necesary to have bumpstop in front shockwise. Of course, bigger tires is one thing but right now I´m only thinking about the shock since I will more or less have stock size tire. ( 275*70*18 vs stock 255*70*18 )

Ome does not mention anything for these shocks. Only extra for the tiny 2 inch lift is the fk 37 rear panhard relocation bracket kit with bumpstop included. This kit is not mandatory acording to ome but they recomend it to recenter rear axle.

If I´m correct the stock shock is 13,5 inch when fully closed and this ome N196 shock is 13,7 inch long fully closed so I asume that extra bumpstop is not needed regarding the health of the shock. Only needed if bigger tire is going to be used. I mean, there must be more than 0,2 inch of spare for the stock shock before bottom out.

In there 4 inch liftkit there is a lot of extra included and some of that is front bumpstop so I gues the shocks are longer in that kit compared to this kit.
Regards

Christian

Hello all

After a couple of months with the lift under the stair it has finaly being mounted to the jeep.

Will take some pictures later when the weather is better for those who can be interested.

I did choose the 2617 rear coils and for the front I took the 2628 coil.

The 2617 is for full passenger load and laguagge up to 150 kg. The 2628 coil is for a steelbar, winch and petrol engine. I think the steelbar and winch should weigh about 180 lbs together to achive about 2 inch and not more. I´ve not messured it yet but it does not look like it is much more than 2.

If you go with the ome lift I think it is of importance that you choose the right coils for your setup. I´ve read that many do get much more lift than 2 inch and that the ride is a bit hard. I can´t compare to other lift kit because I´ve only driven my jk and no other but compare to stock it performce very well.

The nose dive is gone and also it does not rise the nose when going from stop. It does not roll in corners or round abouts like it did before. If feels more firm and a much more controlled ride compared to the stock coils and shoocks. I´ve gained nearly 2 inch more of travel lenght in the rear and something like 1,5 inch more of travel in the front. The front driveshaft rubber boot does not have any contact with the exhaust pipe at full drop.

I did buy the rear trackbar relocation bracket but did not put in on. Reason is that if you do you must also use the bumpstops that come with the relocation bracket kit, otherwise the rear shoock will hit the bracket that is frame mounted. The bump stoop will actually give you less flex than stock.

The 196 and 198 nitrocharger shoocks where the same compressed lenght as stock sahara shoocks but give some extra extended lenght so no bump stop is needed if you are not going over 33" tire.

My personal conclusion is that this is a good kit if you are looking for a 2 inch coil lift and are not going bigger than 33" tire. If you want more you better look at some other lift. But you have to be carefull when choosing the coils. Some shoops for example sells the 2619 front coil but that coil is supposed to be used with heavy steelbar, winch and the disel engine that is much more heavy than the pentastar petrol. That will give you much more lift and maybee a harsh ride. Especially if you do not have winch or steelbar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom