Sliders and protection questions

hawklee

2 part question:

-Im running a 2012 JKU Sahara w/3.5 and wanted the groups thoughts on in what is most important to protect and in what order to add pieces one by one?

-When looking at rock sliders and rails, how durable/strong would we consider the stock side rails...and if I were to replace them I need suggestions on something that still has or can act as as steps as I have two young boys, 6 and 4, who need to use the rail to climb into the Jeep.

thx
Hawklee

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
2 part question:

-Im running a 2012 JKU Sahara w/3.5 and wanted the groups thoughts on in what is most important to protect and in what order to add pieces one by one?

-When looking at rock sliders and rails, how durable/strong would we consider the stock side rails...and if I were to replace them I need suggestions on something that still has or can act as as steps as I have two young boys, 6 and 4, who need to use the rail to climb into the Jeep.

thx
Hawklee

Stock sliders will not last. If you want something with a step hands down look at the LOD sliders. They are frame mounted for strength, can be bolted on (or welded for added strength), strong design, look great, and come with a step for your boys.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
2 part question:

thx
Hawklee

One of the most vulnerable parts of the jk is the oil pan. Complete catastrophic failure as you can imagine. I recommend at least an oil pan skid but i would honestly recommend the protek system from evo. For the pentastar like you have, they run about 350. Very wise investment.

The stock rails are halfway decent but I've seen then bend and actually cause body damage. As for sliders, i would recommend the LoD Bolt ons, they provide a nice step and plenty of protection. If your looking for something more serious, the eVo sliders are weld on and are available with a low angle step.

Exodus 4x4

Agreed. I have a 4" lift and my wife's 5'3" so I went with LOD sliders because they're stout as hell and work great as a step for her. It was also the first thing I changed after my lift.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Agreed. I have a 4" lift and my wife's 5'3" so I went with LOD sliders because they're stout as hell and work great as a step for her. It was also the first thing I changed after my lift.

I plan on going lod aswell, 4" lift, 37" tires, 5'1" fiancé

I hope to burn them on, opposed to drilling&tapping. But I'll see when the time comes. I'm also hesitant as I remember reading the rear mounts may interfere with the EVO long arm? I'll be calling LOD to verify before placing my order. But one way or another, I will have LOD sliders :yep:

jedg

What Coz said! LoD all the way when it comes to wanting a step as well as protection.

What Cox and thardy said. I've got LOD sliders on my JKU for 3 years. They can take a beating. I ordered mine without powder coating and just repaint them after each outing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will probably be the odd man out here and say that I have found the stock sliders to work surprisingly well for what they are. Of course, this is not to say there are much better rocker guards that you can get including the ones made by LOD. Among others, I have run them in the past for quite a while and found them to be quite strong and very useful. As far as oil pans go, they are pretty much the only thing that isn't protected by anything and if you have a 2012-up with an auto, there is a cooler line that is exposed as well. Something like an EVO ProTek system will help to protect these areas. That being said, if you're taking your time, picking good lines or getting spotted as needed, the odds of you tagging your oil pan is really pretty low.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I will probably be the odd man out here and say that I have found the stock sliders to work surprisingly well for what they are. Of course, this is not to say there are much better rocker guards that you can get including the ones made by LOD. Among others, I have run them in the past for quite a while and found them to be quite strong and very useful. As far as oil pans go, they are pretty much the only thing that isn't protected by anything and if you have a 2012-up with an auto, there is a cooler line that is exposed as well. Something like an EVO ProTek system will help to protect these areas. That being said, if you're taking your time, picking good lines or getting spotted as needed, the odds of you tagging your oil pan is really pretty low.

I haven't wheeled much, but I've never ran a skid or hit my oil pan on any of my jeeps..

Well until now anyhow .. Lol

CastleRockJeep

I was pretty convinced to get the Evo sliders as I've seen them take a beating in a lot of videos. I do like the look of the Lod set as well as the step. Do most just bolt them or do they add the welds as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was pretty convinced to get the Evo sliders as I've seen them take a beating in a lot of videos. I do like the look of the Lod set as well as the step. Do most just bolt them or do they add the welds as well?

Without question, the EVO sliders are about as tough as they get. But, you will need to have them welded on. When I was running LoD Sliders, I just bolted them to the frame.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Without question, the EVO sliders are about as tough as they get. But, you will need to have them welded on. When I was running LoD Sliders, I just bolted them to the frame.

Eddie, can you comment on the LOD rear most frame mount, and if it interfered with the EVO long arm kit at all? (I have the bolt on kit, not the high clearance) I just want to clear up. Thanks

In europe the saharas model comes with the plastic footstep and I do not think they will hold up if exposed to a rock or stump. But if you have installed the stock rubicons sliders on your sahara you already have protection and maybee there is something else to put the money on. But, they do not work as a step.

My LOD rocksliders was my first mod and I think they are super. Feels very strong, look good and works perfect as a step.

CastleRockJeep

As far as strength goes if we rated Evo sliders a 10 on a scale of 1-10 where would you put Lod?

Skeeterbait

Another option are the ACE bolt ons. They allowed me to keep the rubi sliders to protect that bottom edge from salt and gravel spray in the winter.

iRonin

Just a quick note on the EVO sliders: When I got mine, I had the option to order them canted out a bit more to serve as a better step, but even not going that route, mine still work decently to toe-up into the Jeep. Little sketchy when it's wet/muddy, but I haven't face planted yet. :cheesy:

If you go EVO sliders, from personal experience I recommend also going with rock skins if you plan on taking any risks involving sharp/steep drop-offs. I don't have mine on yet (long story) and I've come down hard enough that the rearmost point flexed up and gave my body a nice dimple. Otherwise, lord almighty these things take an amazing beating and hold their shape. :beer:

Also re: the oil pan... EVO protek is awesome for sure but specifically for oil skid, I would give the nod to Rock Hard. Instead of mounting the skid as a cap over the pan itself, they give you drop brackets that run up to the motor mounts on either side, so impacts would be driven up to the frame rather than the motor.

Having said that, as piginajeep mentioned tagging your oil pan would be pretty rare as it sits forward enough that whatever would have done damage would either clear it past the tires and hit your belly, or smack your diff/tie rod to let you know it's a bad idea early on. Mebbie a rock-garden scenario where you're rolling over stuff and impale it down on a tall rock... but I've also yet to see this happen or see impacts on other folks' jeeps that roll into the shop.

hawklee

id being bolting it to the frame as opposed to welding at this point. I'm not sure the Evo's would have enough of a step for my little jeepers, they can climb up and on anything but would be concerned with them on the day to day in and out of the jeep, plus theres no handles that there tall enough to grab yet.

i checked out the LOD ones and i think that would work well....regarding underneath it doesn't sound like there is too much to be concerned with at this point so ill probably start with the sliders

Top Bottom