Need advice: 2 issues during automatic transmission service.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Pulled the pan & changed my ATF & filter yesterday & I did 2 things wrong. I need some advice.

1) I didn't put locktite on that one bolt on the pan as directed. They all got some Right Stuff RTV on them. Do I need to pull it and redo it?

2) I accidentally pulled one of the torx bolts out of the tranny. Everything was covered in oil & it looked like it held the filter on. I put it back pretty tight, but not crazy. Am I ok there?

Thanks team!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, without having been there to see what you did or didn't do, it'd be hard for me to say for sure but, I would think you should be fine on both counts.

WJCO

Meme King
The torx bolt on the valve body just initiated self-destruct mode on your Jeep. Report back in about a week.

ScoobyCarolanNC

So question about checking the fluid level. Drove 20 miles home. Jeep is running. Parked in neutral, ebrake on. Cleaned the dipstick. Shifted through each gear pausing in each. Back in neutral & checked again. I'm halfway between the hot & cold marks. Do I need to get it to the hot mark or am I ok?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm clearly neurotic about doing this perfect. If I missed something do tell.

You should be fine. Just for your neurotic peace-of-mind :D , I would run it through all the gears while cold and just make sure the level is at the cold line or slightly higher. You should be just fine. If the fluid is low enough to cause any issues, you would notice shifting symptoms immediately. Usually takes a good 2 quarts low or more before you'll even know there is an issue.

ScoobyCarolanNC

You should be fine. Just for your neurotic peace-of-mind :D , I would run it through all the gears while cold and just make sure the level is at the cold line or slightly higher. You should be just fine. If the fluid is low enough to cause any issues, you would notice shifting symptoms immediately. Usually takes a good 2 quarts low or more before you'll even know there is an issue.

Thank you! To top off my neurosis it's been raining here. I can't tell if leaking or rinsing off the mess.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Well, everything seemed fine. Back & forth to work a couple of times with no issues. Last night I put some extra miles on and it was all about 45mph with no stops like a commute. I wake up and there's a puddle of ATF approximately under the fill tube. I tried running the hose of my hand pump down to siphon some out since I clearly over filled it. I couldn't get any to come out. No symptoms like bad shifting, just this puddle. Any recommendations?

Eugene the Jeep

Might be a stupid question. Did you tube you put down the filler tube have atf fluid on the outside and inside of it. The filler tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pan.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Might be a stupid question. Did you tube you put down the filler tube have atf fluid on the outside and inside of it. The filler tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the pan.

No... Lol. Makes total sense though. I put it down dry, so it didn't create a good vacuum. Just a quick update no messes since. This is making me crazy.

jeeeep

Hooked
was the filler tube wet where it look like it leaked out and drain down? did you check the bolt with the RTV it may have leaked out of there

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm making myself crazy. No oil around filler tube. Pan is clean & "the puddle" is about 6-8 inches in front of it.

Got to work, no dripping. Drove to the grocery store, dripping. So I blotted it with a white napkin- warm water. No cherry red ATF color at all. I think the water puddle in my driveway might have been in a spot where I spilled some ATF so it looked legit.

I'm not running the AC, where is this water coming from? I have the heat on... I just want to make sure I haven't boiled the oil or stumbled on some new issue.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm making myself crazy. No oil around filler tube. Pan is clean & "the puddle" is about 6-8 inches in front of it.

Got to work, no dripping. Drove to the grocery store, dripping. So I blotted it with a white napkin- warm water. No cherry red ATF color at all. I think the water puddle in my driveway might have been in a spot where I spilled some ATF so it looked legit.

I'm not running the AC, where is this water coming from? I have the heat on... I just want to make sure I haven't boiled the oil or stumbled on some new issue.

Check the coolant level just to be safe. Then if/when this happens again, check your EVAP drain tube to see if water is dripping there. Did the 'water' have any coolant odor to it?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Thanks team. Ripped through the Chilton and realized it's probably just the heat exchanger causing condensation in the foggy, rainy, high humidity weather lately. Coolants fine, oils fine, ATF is fine. I'm putting this to bed. I appreciate everyone jumping in to help me make sure all was well.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks team. Ripped through the Chilton and realized it's probably just the heat exchanger causing condensation in the foggy, rainy, high humidity weather lately. Coolants fine, oils fine, ATF is fine. I'm putting this to bed. I appreciate everyone jumping in to help me make sure all was well.

Good deal.

Top Bottom