New To Winching

hlax2525

So, this past Black Friday Sale I was able to pick up a Warn M-8000 for a great deal along with a new LOD Signature Series Shorty Front Bumper. I have seen Eddie's write up on Recovery Gear and am hoping to pick up a great kit for that. Does it make sense to go buy a pre-setup kit, or to piece it together myself with the specific parts that I need? Also, I need a way to attach my license plate to my roller fairlead. Does anybody have any suggestions on which bracket to get to attach my plate to the fairlead?
Thanks in advance for all the help.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on your new winch! So long as you get all the pieces you need with it, I see no reason why you couldn't just get a pre-assembled bag.

As far as attaching your license plate to the roller fairlead goes, you can pick up some Mag Light mount and make a bracket out of them. They would then just snap on to the rollers. There are other companies out there that make something similar and still others that even have a flip up style kit too.

hlax2525

Congratulations on your new winch! So long as you get all the pieces you need with it, I see no reason why you couldn't just get a pre-assembled bag.

As far as attaching your license plate to the roller fairlead goes, you can pick up some Mag Light mount and make a bracket out of them. They would then just snap on to the rollers. There are other companies out there that make something similar and still others that even have a flip up style kit too.

Thanks for the input Eddie, looking into either fabricating one or might just pick up a flip up bracket depending on how expensive they are. I have seen the Tuffy flip up bracket which is pretty inexpensive and the rock hard bracket. Have you had any experience with either of those?

jorgelrod

Hooked
As PR does not issue front License Plates, I can't comment on that, but I can tell you that most Kits will come at a reasonably lower price than buying everything piece meal, even if your winch is only 8,000 Lbs, buy the biggest you can afford, so if a good kit comes with a 12,000 Lbs snatch block is within your budget and is maybe $60 or so over one with a an 8K pound one, go for the one with the 12K one, you'll never regret the safety it will provide as well as you never know if you'll eventually move to a bigger winch in the future...

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I bought the ARB kit and keep it in the jeep at all times. Its nice and relatively compact. The Bag is built well and has taken a lot of abuse with no tears. It comes with everything you need.

Top Bottom