Check engine light after battery change

Wethy

Hey all
I swapped out the battery on my 14 jk this evening after installing the new one when i put the key in the on position the CEL is on then will flash intermittently then go solid again then will turn off after I start the motor no codes pop up on the dash and I can't find my obd2 scanner any ideas why? I'll post the vid I took at the bottom. I'm guessing it's a P1684 code but unsure

http://youtu.be/XhGDsa72sjg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried driving your Jeep for a bit? If not, I would start there as there's a good chance the light will go off. If not, it would be helpful to get a code to work off of. You should be able to get this just using the key trick.

Skid_Kid

Hey all
I swapped out the battery on my 14 jk this evening after installing the new one when i put the key in the on position the CEL is on then will flash intermittently then go solid again then will turn off after I start the motor no codes pop up on the dash and I can't find my obd2 scanner any ideas why? I'll post the vid I took at the bottom. I'm guessing it's a P1684 code but unsure

http://youtu.be/XhGDsa72sjg

Can I ask why you are changing a battery already?

bigbootysuperduty

These new vehicles have data they store for emissions, and engine status. Replacing the battery will restore the data, after driving a few miles. If it's not on during the engine running, you should be fine. If not, you will get a code after a few miles.

WJCO

Meme King
Do you have any aftermarket programs in your pcm? I'm just wondering if when you disconnected the battery, if some kind of memory loss may have cause aftermarket software to not be compatible somehow. It's a stretch, but I can't think of any reason the CEL would do that after a battery swap.

Wethy

These new vehicles have data they store for emissions, and engine status. Replacing the battery will restore the data, after driving a few miles. If it's not on during the engine running, you should be fine. If not, you will get a code after a few miles.

Good to know I gotta find my code reader anyways but I figure it's just the battery disconnected within 50 cycles code of any

Wethy

Do you have any aftermarket programs in your pcm? I'm just wondering if when you disconnected the battery, if some kind of memory loss may have cause aftermarket software to not be compatible somehow. It's a stretch, but I can't think of any reason the CEL would do that after a battery swap.

No aftermarket programs the only things aftermarket are my rigid lights and an aftermarket stereo but it's just a basic head unit

Wethy

Have you tried driving your Jeep for a bit? If not, I would start there as there's a good chance the light will go off. If not, it would be helpful to get a code to work off of. You should be able to get this just using the key trick.

I did try to pull the code with the key lol it's at the very end of the video I added. And I took it for a 2-3km drive before I did the key dance. Like I mentioned earlier I do need to find my code reader it's around here somewhere and I'll report back tomorrow if it does go off after I go to and from work

Top Bottom