CASTING SAND IN THE COOLANT (heater core partially plugged)

jkmadness

Well this is going to be my first visit to the dealer,after reading several threads everywhere about no heat on the driver side i took the radiator cap off,stuck my finger in and sure enough it came out with this gritty goo on it.
I just hope they can just fix it by flushing it,otherwise i've seen pics of the entire dash off to replace the heater core.if that is the case I'm gonna be pissed (2012 with 7500 miles on it)...anyone else in the same boat:mad:
On other similar threads i found that it could also be the blend door inside the housing part #68004191AB that should be part 1 on the diagram. View attachment 9440

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Wow so is this actually sand from the sand cast used to build the radiator? That is crazy... You would think they would test the radiators before putting them in the Jeep. QA/QC FAIL! :grayno:

Holeshot

Banned
yeap, in fact, it is the casting sand from the engine bloc that isn't cleaned properly, that remains in the engine during operation and plug the heater core. I got this issue actually since a bit more than a month, and I have my appointment in 4 days for a replacement of the heater core. The guy at the dealer told me they're only gonna replace the core, without doing an entire flush, since they only say so in the StarCase (chrysler's TSB). But I'm gonna work him for an entire flush, don't want to freeze my ass again next year. :icon_crazy:

Holeshot

Banned
well, my jk is in the shop actually for heater core replacement! finally im gonna get heat!! its damn cold going on the highway when it's -15 deg. F. :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. At least you're getting it fixed and hopefully will be getting your Jeep back soon.

jkmadness

Had to pick something up in the jeep during diner.. I took a pic lol

View attachment 9655
It breaks my heart to see these pics, what are the chances of everything going back in the way it was, at the same time I feel enraged at these incompetent jerks for not doing the job right and putting consumers through this bullshit. F... You Chrysler

Holeshot

Banned
haha I trust their capabilities, anyways until there's something going wrong afterward. I work in a ford dealership, and I'm used to see that kind of thing.

I just want to say that, no matter what brand it is, there is always something they do wrong or can't fix rapidly. I.E; those who own's one or drives one will know that, F150's have huge issue with the power steering pressure hose which fails and leaks a lot, and they've been back ordered for a lonnnng time. We even had to remove the leaking one, send to a local shop for repair, and reinstall. And this, even when under warranty, because otherwise the truck would have been grounded until we get the part.

All this to say that, after all, we are all humans. We do mistakes, everyone do mistakes, even engineers. I admit, there's a lack here with the casting sand left in the bloc, but hey, its under warranty! I don't really mind as long as it is fixed right the first time.

:standing wave:

Holeshot

Banned
well, I picked it up friday afternoon, and damn I'm glad to finally have heat!! it's damn cold here these days (-20 to -30 celcius).

They had the heater core replaced, I asked for a complete flush of the bloc but they told me they had to follow the star case who says to only replace the core to fix the issue.

Holeshot

Banned
yeah! It's amazing how this engine warms fast!

The only down side of this is the surprise I had when I poped the door when I picked it up...

I brought the jeep in top clean showroom condition, armor all over the dash, carpet vaccumed and slush mat brushed, no dust or dirt anywhere. Then I open the door and the very first thing I notice it my seats covered in dust. They are not black, but more likely dirty shitty brown. AND, there was dirty finger prints on my armorall'ed dash...The guy how worked on it didn't care I guess, but it's not very professional IMO. Gave a call to let them know I was disapointed.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Had my heater core replaced a year ago for this issue and the heat works great. No issues other than I had to reinstall my Cobra 75 back under the dash!

jkmadness

Heater Core Update

Well,after countless hours of research over the (No heat on the driver side)issue,I decided to take matters with my own hands before I let anyone touch the dash.
So with 2 5/8" hoses on hand and a small bottle of CLR ,I backflushed the core with water first and then let the CLR full strenght sit for 1 hour.
Then I flushed it out with clean water both ways,then blew the water out with air,connected the hoses back,added more coolant (HOAT) and after i fired it up and went for a short ride down the road to my amazement this thing NOW COOKS..IT IS AN INFERNO INSIDE.
If you don't want the dealer pick your baby apart yet,you may want to give this a shot.
My 2 cents.:beer:

mo-jac

awesome!

Well,after countless hours of research over the (No heat on the driver side)issue,I decided to take matters with my own hands before I let anyone touch the dash.
So with 2 5/8" hoses on hand and a small bottle of CLR ,I backflushed the core with water first and then let the CLR full strenght sit for 1 hour.
Then I flushed it out with clean water both ways,then blew the water out with air,connected the hoses back,added more coolant (HOAT) and after i fired it up and went for a short ride down the road to my amazement this thing NOW COOKS..IT IS AN INFERNO INSIDE.
If you don't want the dealer pick your baby apart yet,you may want to give this a shot.
My 2 cents.:beer:

Man reading through this thread and feeling your concerns about having some careless dealership mechanic tearing into your dash, I feel your joy! I'm the same way, no one will treat your ride with as much care as you, the owner! glad you fixed it yourself. I'm actually pissed after reading how filthy and stained Holyshot's interior was returned to him...damn careless idiots! how dare they:mad:

jkmadness

Man reading through this thread and feeling your concerns about having some careless dealership mechanic tearing into your dash, I feel your joy! I'm the same way, no one will treat your ride with as much care as you, the owner! glad you fixed it yourself. I'm actually pissed after reading how filthy and stained Holyshot's interior was returned to him...damn careless idiots! how dare they:mad:

Yeap,I could't agree more:beer:

Top Bottom