Disable seat belt Light

JeepDrum

So you've already done the sequence to turn the chime off, but you want the light to be gone completely? You may be able to unplug the sensor underneath the passenger seat only while you have boxes or whatever in it. I know people do it in all sorts of vehicles, but I'm not sure if that would mess with the air bag system. Or you could just buckle the seat belt and put the boxes in front of it.

mattfl

lil'wizzy;624040It's getting annoying being pulled over because it's on and then arguing with the cop that I am and have been in fact buckled the entire time and that it's due to the boxes in the passenger seat. I have that godawful constant binger turned off so that's nice said:
Why are you getting pulled over in the first place?

jeeeep

Hooked
I know this is probably "unsafe" but how does one turn off the seat belt light?
......It's getting annoying being pulled over because it's on and then arguing with the cop that I am and have been in fact buckled the entire time and that it's due to the boxes in the passenger seat.....

soooo you're getting pulled over for other infractions and they see the seat belt light on? do you not have your seat belt on when they approach?

I'm confused by this, I've been pulled over and have had the seat belt light on but all I had my belt on and he could clearly see the stuff in the seat so no issues ....:thinking:

i know it's not the answer to the question but you let out a wtf statement lol

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
JeepDrum; Unplugging the sensor from the seat screws the airbag system. That light shows up because the seat isn't plugged in (due to the seat having an airbag in it as well)... Yea I've doing the belt thing lately but I shouldn't have to do that... welcome to the new ages of cars where they have a sensor everywhere, even one for your ass.

GregMort13; Exactly that!

mattfl; Because it's illegal to drive without a seat belt in Washington. They don't bother me otherwise, but because they see the stupid light on my dash (and it's been overcast/raining a lot) it's like a beacon when they're rolling along side me. They all have Ford Explorers (2014/15 models) so they sit as high as I do and can see clear as day through my window (even though it's tinted).

The steps are in your manual.... you turn the key to the "on position" but don't start it... you have to unbuckle, buckle 3 times within 10 seconds... turn off the ignition... then it will only bing the once or twice at first start but won't do it ever again. While driving.

Cops arent allowed to issue you a ticket for a light on your dash being on. They have to physically see you without your seatbelt on.

Moochie

Put a piece of tape over your light. I find it hard to believe that they will / can, pull you over for a light being on, in your instrument cluster.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm sure they run my plates and see my track record from the other two vehicles I use to drive. I use to get pulled over constantly for speeding or whipping around the corner in "unsafe conditions". I normally wear a black hoodie, and the inside of my Jeep is black they can't see if it's on/off but they see the light. I usually leave the engine running when they pull up. And when they try to argue with me I'm like "look the light is on, my belt is on, there's weight in the passenger seat. Write me at ticket and my lawyer will throw it out in court making it a waste of your time." They don't write me at ticket.

Model citizen, I see.........

Scrambler

Your opinion, and your entitled to it.

Reason I'm saying it's "unsafe" is because the few things I've read about other cars is that it screws with the speed/timing/function of the airbags if someone where to actually be in the seat and unbuckled vs buckled. Haven't found that info on a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler, but on GM/Ford/Kia

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you on the fact that it is unsafe to screw with the sensors that have an affect on airbag deployment. I'm just having trouble believing your story, but like you said, it's just my opinion.:beer:

Scrambler

It's funny that when you can pass a Trooper in snow or flooded streets doing the posted speed limit that it's "driving too fast for conditions". Sorry your Crown Vic can't keep up?

Really? I'm just going to walk away from this one.....Have fun with your seat belt sensor dilemma. :doh:

Last edited:
I have a seatbelt with a buckle on one side, and a carabiner on the other for my dog. Got it at petco and it turns the light off. If you don't mind that being plugged in then that's what I would recommend.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I'm sorry to say but you are either not wearing your seatbelt or doing something else wrong to get pulled over. I can tell you from experience, the last thing a LEO is looking at is your seatbelt light on the instrument cluster. Unless the LEO has better then 20/20 vision, the seatbelt icon would just appear red at that distance and through glass. Plus, it is very obvious to see if the motorist is wearing a seatbelt in a jeep. Just saying

CastleRockJeep

I learned to drive in a '95 Pontiac Grand Am, fully loaded with 'wide' tires because that is when Pontiac was advertising "Wider is better" for tires... Got my license at 16, had 3 speeding tickets within two weeks, and 2 reckless for sliding/drifting corners on main roadways. Just being young and stupid.

Taught myself stick in a '87 Nissan Pulsar... yeaaaaaaaaa that was fun.

Went to a fully loaded '03 Malibu... more tickets... Got more "left roadway/reckless" in a '91 Bronco XLT... then just stupid stuff like "HOV Violation" and "Driving too fast for conditions" in my '08 Un-Sahara.

I've cleaned my act up significantly since my first Jeep. It's funny that when you can pass a Trooper in snow or flooded streets doing the posted speed limit that it's "driving too fast for conditions". Sorry your Crown Vic can't keep up?

Very strange post. I'm thinking you don't wear your seatbelt and the light ect annoys you...

And the wider is better slogan had nothing to do with tire width.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I'm sure they run my plates and see my track record from the other two vehicles I use to drive. I use to get pulled over constantly for speeding or whipping around the corner in "unsafe conditions". I normally wear a black hoodie, and the inside of my Jeep is black they can't see if it's on/off but they see the light. I usually leave the engine running when they pull up. And when they try to argue with me I'm like "look the light is on, my belt is on, there's weight in the passenger seat. Write me at ticket and my lawyer will throw it out in court making it a waste of your time." They don't write me at ticket.

What I'm looking for is a fix. Right now it's to buckle the stupid belt. Just didn't know if anyone on here knew how to disable the light.

I learned to drive in a '95 Pontiac Grand Am, fully loaded with 'wide' tires because that is when Pontiac was advertising "Wider is better" for tires... Got my license at 16, had 3 speeding tickets within two weeks, and 2 reckless for sliding/drifting corners on main roadways. Just being young and stupid.

Went to a fully loaded '03 Malibu... more tickets... Got more "left roadway/reckless" in a '91 Bronco XLT... then just stupid stuff like "HOV Violation" and "Driving too fast for conditions" in my '08 Un-Sahara.

I've cleaned my act up significantly since my first Jeep. It's funny that when you can pass a Trooper in snow or flooded streets doing the posted speed limit that it's "driving too fast for conditions". Sorry your Crown Vic can't keep up?

Sounds like you need to quit driving like a jack ass.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450126044.630362.jpg .

Top Bottom