Just installed 3.5 lift and having issues.

OneTuffJeep

I just installed a 3.5 lift from Rough Country. I also installed a Rock Krawler front track bar. When I installed the lift and measured the fender height and various other places to check true height of the lift, I got 5" in the front and 3.5 in the rear of actual lift. Jeep sits level and looks fantastic. It is on stock tires at the moment while I'm waiting for the 35's to come in Wednesday.

Here's the issue. Under hard acceleration or braking I'm getting alot of steering wheel play. Hard on the throttle, and steering wheel goes to the left. Hard on the brake and it goes to the right. Jeep still drives straight but it's a little terrifying when coming around a corner and car pulls out in front of me and I'm braking and trying to stay on the road.

Does anyone have a clue?

swampdog

Could be slop in the track bar. Did you torque to the proper specs per RK? (I know the jamb nuts are 200+ ft-lbs, but a large crescent and steel pipe got mine super snug). Also, but marker / white out marks across all bolts / nuts you messed with to ensure nothing is backing out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
5.5" of lift is A LOT OF LIFT. Without a drag link flip and track bar relocation installed up front, your handling WILL be subpar.

2 door or 4 door? Eitherway, 5.5 inches is super tall. IF you really want that much lift, draglink flip and trackbar relocation are a must.

OneTuffJeep

Yeah 5" is pretty tall. It is an adjustable track bar and it is torqued. We used the track bar relocation kit as well as the adjustable rock Krawler Trac bar and installed per instructions. Also ordered a new driveshaft so I guess drag link flip will be the next thing we try.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
And olram, you're smart ass mouth is what gives Jeepers a bad name. So go fuck yourself. I asked a legit question.

Heaven forbid I agree with you on it "looking fantastic"
Are you one of those people that get easily offended?

WJCO

Meme King
Dude, sorry you didn't get your Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas, but seriously, woosahh.

There could be a ton of things causing your issues, improper toe setting, bad control arm bushings, caster setting, steering linkage play, steering gearbox play. I would start by making sure everything is tight and alignment angles are proper.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah 5" is pretty tall. It is an adjustable track bar and it is torqued. We used the track bar relocation kit as well as the adjustable rock Krawler Trac bar and installed per instructions. Also ordered a new driveshaft so I guess drag link flip will be the next thing we try.

An adjustable track bar will just help to recenter your axle - it won't do anything to correct your steering geometry. I'm surprised that your instructions didn't make any mention of this.

Top Bottom