Rancho sport lift

Jason12

Hey guys I could use some help. I am about to order the ranch on 2" sport lift and I have enough extra to order either wheel spacers or sway bar links. With a small lift like this how important are the links? I would like to get the spacers so I can install tired right away but I don't want it to handle poorly either. Any advice?

thardy

Banned
Since you don't have a Rubicon, it's not going to be that big of a deal to wait on the links. You can always find someone that has a set of stock rear links laying around that you can put on the front.

NV375

If you plan to run 35s and cut fenders I would look to get the 2" sport kit with the 9000 shocks for a 2 door so you get 1.75" rear coil spacers in the kit. Then you can buy and add rear 1" bump stop spacers without limiting your down travel. The only other add I would consider on the suspension is if you can find some cheap or free (don't spend much if anything on them) Rubicon rear springs with a higher rate than your stock that could help when loaded down with gear. I ran the 2" sport suspension for a 4 door with the .75 rear coil spacers and no rear bump extensions on my '14 JKUR with 35s Trail Grapplers and cut (cosmetic only) one of my rear tires on a trip. I really liked that suspension but swapped it out for the 3" Enforcer getting ready for 37s.

mds22

If you plan to run 35s and cut fenders I would look to get the 2" sport kit with the 9000 shocks for a 2 door so you get 1.75" rear coil spacers in the kit. Then you can buy and add rear 1" bump stop spacers without limiting your down travel. The only other add I would consider on the suspension is if you can find some cheap or free (don't spend much if anything on them) Rubicon rear springs with a higher rate than your stock that could help when loaded down with gear. I ran the 2" sport suspension for a 4 door with the .75 rear coil spacers and no rear bump extensions on my '14 JKUR with 35s Trail Grapplers and cut (cosmetic only) one of my rear tires on a trip. I really liked that suspension but swapped it out for the 3" Enforcer getting ready for 37s.

I'm running only factory bumps and have had zero rubbing, but I trimmed a lot off back there since I knew I would have to do it when I upgraded to 37s. Plus being trimmed looks better with my flares.
Just another option if your concern is up travel.

NV375

I'm running only factory bumps and have had zero rubbing, but I trimmed a lot off back there since I knew I would have to do it when I upgraded to 37s. Plus being trimmed looks better with my flares.
Just another option if your concern is up travel.

I went several months without issue until I told my wife to try and keep up with the Wades in EVOLander going across the Mojave Desert on the New Year Kick Off Run 2015. Normal slow speed wheeling I never did any damage at high speed loaded with people and gear I had cuts all the way through the tread blocks but not the carcass and black streaks inside the wheel well the entire area front to back. No amount of trimming could stop. Are your 35s TGs or other tires that run taller than most 35s? With BFG or some other 35s maybe I would not have had the same issue. It only happened that one time but did happen. Everyone uses their equipment different.

Attachments

• 1451574459432.jpg
    1451574459432.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 374

Jason12

I'm just going to run 33s for now until I get a little car for work. I have to do a lot of long travel when I go to 35s I'll upgrade the lift as well

NV375

I'm just going to run 33s for now until I get a little car for work. I have to do a lot of long travel when I go to 35s I'll upgrade the lift as well

I would not buy the sport lift if you don't plan to keep it. Save your cash and do your lift once. Here is what mine looked like with the 35s and the Rancho 2"sport suspension.

Attachments

• 1451577117656.jpg
    1451577117656.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 383

Jason12

I already ordered the sport 4 door before I seen this. Besides cut fenders what all would I have to do to eventually run 35s? I will be doing light to moderate trails occasionally nothing too difficult

pop2tu

Here is mine, it's sitting on 35s no lift just with fenders trimmed. If you only want to run 33s you could get away just trimming fenders image.jpg

mds22

I went several months without issue until I told my wife to try and keep up with the Wades in EVOLander going across the Mojave Desert on the New Year Kick Off Run 2015. Normal slow speed wheeling I never did any damage at high speed loaded with people and gear I had cuts all the way through the tread blocks but not the carcass and black streaks inside the wheel well the entire area front to back. No amount of trimming could stop. Are your 35s TGs or other tires that run taller than most 35s? With BFG or some other 35s maybe I would not have had the same issue. It only happened that one time but did happen. Everyone uses their equipment different.

In the rear, I trimmed over a inch off front and back and at least.5 off the top above the tire. I set it on the bumps wit no coils still had plenty of space.

NV375

In the rear, I trimmed over a inch off front and back and at least.5 off the top above the tire. I set it on the bumps wit no coils still had plenty of space.

Pulling the coils and letting it sit on the stops in the driveway is different than wheeling where you can articulate so one side is down all the way and the other gets smashed hard into the bump stop. In this picture I had the driver rear off the ground and just barely touched sheet metal on passenger rear. I thought I was good after this test. Your shocks make a difference on how you articulate. My Rancho sport kit came with the same rear shocks they recommend for a 3" lift. Lots of rear articulation. Arguing about trimming or not trimming or bumps will not help the OP.

I already ordered the sport 4 door before I seen this. Besides cut fenders what all would I have to do to eventually run 35s? I will be doing light to moderate trails occasionally nothing too difficult
Everyone that road in my jeep stock and with the Rancho suspension think the Rancho rides way better than stock Rubicon. You should enjoy this setup and may decide to keep it. Rims or wheel spacers would the only thing required for 35s. When you do the install the instructions say reattach the e brake cable apparently mine were a little short. I kinked mine when drooping to check for issues. Mine still work fine.
Post pictures when you get it installed. Have fun.

Attachments

• 1451594159187.jpg
    1451594159187.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 276

Jason12

Pulling the coils and letting it sit on the stops in the driveway is different than wheeling where you can articulate so one side is down all the way and the other gets smashed hard into the bump stop. In this picture I had the driver rear off the ground and just barely touched sheet metal on passenger rear. I thought I was good after this test. Your shocks make a difference on how you articulate. My Rancho sport kit came with the same rear shocks they recommend for a 3" lift. Lots of rear articulation. Arguing about trimming or not trimming or bumps will not help the OP.

Everyone that road in my jeep stock and with the Rancho suspension think the Rancho rides way better than stock Rubicon. You should enjoy this setup and may decide to keep it. Rims or wheel spacers would the only thing required for 35s. When you do the install the instructions say reattach the e brake cable apparently mine were a little short. I kinked mine when drooping to check for issues. Mine still work fine.
Post pictures when you get it installed. Have fun.

Thanks a bunch man. I also ordered 1.5 spidery tax with the lift so I'm good there. Oh and a wayalife decal for more hp. Definitely post pics when I get it on hopefully about a couple weeks

Jason12

So I'll be installing the lift and she'll spacers Friday morning. But I'm still undecided on tire size. I'm going with trail grapplers in 285/70 17 or 295/70 17. Stock rims and fenders any input or pics would be great

el_chupo_

Go with the 285/75/15 to get a little taller, while staying skinny.

I have the sport lift (9000 series) on mine with 315/70/17s, and had a buddy ride in my jeep for about an hour (airport run), and he commented on how well it rode, vs his expectations for a lifted jeep.

Jason12

Go with the 285/75/15 to get a little taller, while staying skinny.

I have the sport lift (9000 series) on mine with 315/70/17s, and had a buddy ride in my jeep for about an hour (airport run), and he commented on how well it rode, vs his expectations for a lifted jeep.

The lift says up to a 33 isn't 285/75 almost a 34? Do they rub? If u can fit those I should be ok with 295s huh?

el_chupo_

The lift says up to a 33 isn't 285/75 almost a 34? Do they rub? If u can fit those I should be ok with 295s huh?

I drove around for a few weeks before trimming fenders, but definitely needed to trim before wheeling.

The 285/75 should come in around 34" unmounted, probably around 33" mounted. Note this is taller than a marked 33" tire.

Are you not wanting to trim? If not, stick with the 285/70s, those seem to fit with all the budget boost/2" lifts without problems. Not sure about the 295s.

Jason12

Yeah I was going to wait till I rehear for 35s to trim fenders I'll go with 285 /70s should have pics on Saturday hopefully thanks

Top Bottom