Stability issues with new lift!

Skywalker

I just replaced a 2" lift that was on my JKU. I had horrible death wobbles any time I went over 45mph. Tried fixing too many things to list and it never got better. Long story short, I replaced the entire lift with a 4.5" BDS long arm kit. I added the adjustable track arms, quick sway bar disconnects and Fox shocks. I have only had it back a week from the shop and it rides great. No more death wobble. My concern is that now it feels very "twitchy" on the road at higher speeds 40mph+. Almost like when your wheels are pulled side to side when your in a deep rut. It is all I can do to keep inside my own lane on some of the 2 lane highways around here. Im afraid i might jet into oncoming traffic if Im not 100% focused on driving. I did replace the wheels and upgraded to 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's so they are more aggressive than the 33" tires I had before. Even so, this is the worst handling lifted vehicle I have ever had. I am wondering if the caster or steering geometry could be off somewhere. I am taking it back to the shop that installed it in a week and would like to have an idea of what they should be looking for. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Couple of things. First off, 4.5" is a LOT of lift. Did you have a drag link flip and front track bar relocation bracket installed like you really should have? If not, I would look into it. That being said, what is your caster set at now? If I could guess, it's set too low and that is common after lifting a Jeep so tall - it really needs to be at about +4°.

TitoJk

I just replaced a 2" lift that was on my JKU. I had horrible death wobbles any time I went over 45mph. Tried fixing too many things to list and it never got better. Long story short, I replaced the entire lift with a 4.5" BDS long arm kit. I added the adjustable track arms, quick sway bar disconnects and Fox shocks. I have only had it back a week from the shop and it rides great. No more death wobble. My concern is that now it feels very "twitchy" on the road at higher speeds 40mph+. Almost like when your wheels are pulled side to side when your in a deep rut. It is all I can do to keep inside my own lane on some of the 2 lane highways around here. Im afraid i might jet into oncoming traffic if Im not 100% focused on driving. I did replace the wheels and upgraded to 35" Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's so they are more aggressive than the 33" tires I had before. Even so, this is the worst handling lifted vehicle I have ever had. I am wondering if the caster or steering geometry could be off somewhere. I am taking it back to the shop that installed it in a week and would like to have an idea of what they should be looking for. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Look into the synergy high steer kit it comes with the front track bar bracket and the drag link that you will have to install over the top of the knuckle. It works wonders im glad i got it

Skywalker

Couple of things. First off, 4.5" is a LOT of lift. Did you have a drag link flip and front track bar relocation bracket installed like you really should have? If not, I would look into it. That being said, what is your caster set at now? If I could guess, it's set too low and that is common after lifting a Jeep so tall - it really needs to be at about +4°.

The kit had a track bar relocation bracket and a dropped pitman arm. Basically I have really bad bump steer. Would a drag link flip kit resolve it? Does a flip kit install on the dropped pitman arm or should it be replaced with a stock pitman arm. What is the main culprit when you get bump steer from a tall lift?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
You need to use the stock pitman arm with the flip kit. Essentially you want the track bar and drag link parallel so that as the axle moves over a bump they both travel the same distance relative to each other

Top Bottom