JK c gusset and trusses

csj

Looking into gussets and truss for 2007 JK. Does axle need to be tore down when installed? Is there any certain brand more recomended than the others?
Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The gussets are nice to have as they are cheap and the end forgings will bend with bigger tires a but don't waste your money on a truss. If anything, just save up until you need or can afford to upgrade your housing to something like a ProRock 44.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Don't waste your money getting sleeves and trusses. Sleeves will not keep the tube from bending at the pumpkin and there is a better chance than not that the installation of the trusses will actually bend your axle.

Edit: Eddie beat me to the punch.

Last edited:

csj

Are all gussets made the same or are any thicker than the other? Just looking to prolong while I am saving for the protocol 44. It's still a ways off as I didn't win the powerball.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are all gussets made the same or are any thicker than the other? Just looking to prolong while I am saving for the protocol 44. It's still a ways off as I didn't win the powerball.

There are ones out there that are solid blocks as opposed to formed steel that wraps around your c's but they aren't any better - just different. All of them will get the job done and to answer your first question, I would take the time to remove your ball joints before burning them in. If you are still running your original ball joints, I might even use the time to replace them or upgrade them.

csj

Thank you both for the help. I looked thru other posts but couldn't find anything out on quality of kits.

GR8WHITE

I have installed synergy and ace and have seen the Evo's in person and they are all about the same. I do prefer the Evo and synergy's over the ace though. The upper ace gusset just didn't fit as well.

Last edited:

KJ_CJtoJK

There are ones out there that are solid blocks as opposed to formed steel that wraps around your c's but they aren't any better - just different. All of them will get the job done and to answer your first question, I would take the time to remove your ball joints before burning them in. If you are still running your original ball joints, I might even use the time to replace them or upgrade them.

I have plans to have my nephew weld on Evo-c gussets next week. I was not planning on removing the ball joints, but was going to install them according to your 2008 write up: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-wrangler-c2-front-axle-reinforcement-gussets

I plan to be there when he welds, helping with the prep and making sure he takes it slow and cools the ball joints.

With more experience since 2008, has this method of slow weld and cooling the joints not proved to be effective? I have a 2012 with only 25,000 miles, so I assume I still have many miles of life left on my stock ball joints. I have had 315/70/17 on my jeep for about 2 1/2 years. I've been monitoring the camber and this year it jumped up from -0.1 to -0.7 degrees (just out side of factory limit), so I decided it was time to add the gussets.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I have plans to have my nephew weld on Evo-c gussets next week. I was not planning on removing the ball joints, but was going to install them according to your 2008 write up: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...-wrangler-c2-front-axle-reinforcement-gussets

I plan to be there when he welds, helping with the prep and making sure he takes it slow and cools the ball joints.

With more experience since 2008, has this method of slow weld and cooling the joints not proved to be effective? I have a 2012 with only 25,000 miles, so I assume I still have many miles of life left on my stock ball joints. I have had 315/70/17 on my jeep for about 2 1/2 years. I've been monitoring the camber and this year it jumped up from -0.1 to -0.7 degrees (just out side of factory limit), so I decided it was time to add the gussets.

I think you will be fine having him weld slow and cool with wet rags. Just make sure there is good coverage. I have seen people put tiny welds (almost look like tack welds) and call it a day.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I recently installed 2 sets, and one set on my own jeep (200 miles), with no ill effects. I just did the slow method going from side to side and it worked out well.

KJ_CJtoJK

Thanks NecessaryEvil and hinnrichs for your feedback. I will go forward with my plan (agreement of work with my nephew) and will make sure we go slow alternating sides and placing more than tack welds.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
You could probably get away with doing an inch at a time with a longer cool down time. I would almost do a shorter pass then that to air on the side of caution. I have never done gussets before so I don't know for sure; however, I do weld a lot. I know that at an inch of pass will start to create a lot of heat in that small area.

sjd78

Definitely stay away from any truss. Don't make the same mistake I did and not listed to the good folks on here.

USMC Wrangler

I burned on EVO c-gussets at home, in the driveway, with my factory ball joints still installed. I stuck with 1/2"-3/4" beads, a bucket of water and lots of rags. That was about 8000-10000 miles ago and still no play in the ball joints.

You could probably get away with doing an inch at a time with a longer cool down time. I would almost do a shorter pass then that to air on the side of caution. I have never done gussets before so I don't know for sure; however, I do weld a lot. I know that at an inch of pass will start to create a lot of heat in that small area.

I burned on EVO c-gussets at home, in the driveway, with my factory ball joints still installed. I stuck with 1/2"-3/4" beads, a bucket of water and lots of rags. That was about 8000-10000 miles ago and still no play in the ball joints.

Thanks for the advice. My father in law is a certified welder so I know he is going to ask me all these questions when we do mine.

Top Bottom