37s to 40s what did you notice most when on trail?

PennyCO

Curious for anyone who went from 37s to 40s - what did you notice most when on the trail? (besides your wallet being emptied!)

I can find lots of threads about the proper build it takes to run 40s, however not much in terms of what people thought once on trail? I am running a LA setup and mainly would want it for the additional arm clearance. Interested in other items people noticed after the swap. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Curious for anyone who went from 37s to 40s - what did you notice most when on the trail? (besides your wallet being emptied!)

I can find lots of threads about the proper build it takes to run 40s, however not much in terms of what people thought once on trail? I am running a LA setup and mainly would want it for the additional arm clearance. Interested in other items people noticed after the swap. Thanks!

Welcome to WAL from up north.

Mamba-Con

What I noticed is that I started to break a lot more stuff.

This is completely true!
Turning such a large tire brings a whole new level of difficulties. Not just clearance issues, but mechanical operation. Too many to list here real quick but the most important factor I'd say is potential axle component damage on a 40. They say you need at least Dana 60's if you're going to run 40's and wheel hard. But the advantage is high if you know what you're doing, most of the guys I wheel with run 37's and they can't get through some of the lines I take.

CJW

I can't speak from personal experience since I run 37s and have never run 40s. However, doing some trails with guys on 40s, what I noticed was that they were running full width axles. This helped keep their body panels out of the rocks more since the tires hit first. If anything, I think that's a bigger advantage than moving to a 40. Yes, they seemed to do the obstacles a bit easier and could ultimately probably do more than me, but I feel that's more so because of their longer travel suspension with better articulation set ups than mine and not so much due to a larger tire than mine. Just my take on it.......but I would still love seeing a 40 inch tire under my rig! LOL

PennyCO

Certainly makes sense - bigger tires, bigger lines more opportunity to break. Going to also assume more fun!
Random questions -
Do you feel that the tire helped more with traction/grip or clearance? Stuff you would have hung up on 37s now clears without issue? I loved the way it wheeled on SA and coilovers. The clearance was amazing over ledges. However the ride was significantly improved with the LA at the expense of now getting more hung up on 37s.
Did the ride change when aired down (again 37 vs 40). I would assume it to be softer, just wondering if you can tell any difference assuming 17" wheel on both. I love hitting small bumps/rocks and feeling that squish without being jolted. I think it is just a fun part of the game. Wondering if 40s contribute or would DTD have more impact on this over coilovers (whoops, opening another can of worms here possibly :hmm:?

The width I had not thought about in that matter. Good observation to note.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
What's really impressive is the super loud bang that people a mile down the trail can hear when it happens. Well maybe not for the the owner.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Did the ride change when aired down (again 37 vs 40). I would assume it to be softer, just wondering if you can tell any difference assuming 17" wheel on both. I love hitting small bumps/rocks and feeling that squish without being jolted. I think it is just a fun part of the game. Wondering if 40s contribute or would DTD have more impact on this over coilovers (whoops, opening another can of worms here possibly :hmm:?

As in the difference of a 6 ply tire vs a 8-10 ply? Yes. The sidewalls of a softer ply tire will be softer, thus an aired down 40 will be softer than an aired down 37. Giving the tire a wider footprint and in turn, a softer sidewall tire will provide more traction vs a stiffer sidewall when aired down

ttfhell

I noticed a softer ride with a bigger footprint absorbing impact and even on the road. I also noticed with 40's there are no more bypasses.

Top Bottom