Regearing Question...

aaronstephen

I have a 2014 JKU sport with 3.21 gears. I will be regearing this spring and had a few questions. Currently I am running 35's so I was thinking 4.56 or 4.88 ( we also tow a popup all summer ). Debating which ones to go with still. I know I'll need a new carrier for the D30 but will I need one for the D44?

Also, with only 30k miles on the jeep do you think I would need a full master install kit?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2014 JKU sport with 3.21 gears. I will be regearing this spring and had a few questions. Currently I am running 35's so I was thinking 4.56 or 4.88 ( we also tow a popup all summer ). Debating which ones to go with still. I know I'll need a new carrier for the D30 but will I need one for the D44?

Also, with only 30k miles on the jeep do you think I would need a full master install kit?

I would go 4.88. I don't think you would need a new carrier for the D44 but I don't know for sure. I would do the master kit anyways. It comes with seals, crush sleeve, locktite, rtv, etc. You're going to need that stuff anyway even if just swapping the gears. Might as well put new bearings in while you're at it for a tiny bit more parts cost.

nknacd

if you are towing, i'd go with 4.88s. And AFAIK you don't need a new carrier in the rear just the front axle needs it. I also second going with a master overhaul kit.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Do 4.88 that way if you move to 37's you will be geared properly for them as well.

As for the carrier, yes you will need a new one for front and rear. Since you will need a new carrier it might be a good time to lock the rear as well since that will become your carrier. I would leave the front open.

aaronstephen

if you are towing, i'd go with 4.88s. And AFAIK you don't need a new carrier in the rear just the front axle needs it. I also second going with a master overhaul kit.

Do 4.88 that way if you move to 37's you will be geared properly for them as well.

As for the carrier, yes you will need a new one for front and rear. Since you will need a new carrier it might be a good time to lock the rear as well since that will become your carrier. I would leave the front open.

So I do or I don't need a new carrier in the rear?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm confused too, lol. Why is a new carrier needed for the rear? Not arguing, just curious. I thought that it could be re-used in the rear.

3.73 and up carriers can be reused but a 3.21 and lower carrier can not when you upgrade.

WJCO

Meme King
So I do or I don't need a new carrier in the rear?

3.73 and up carriers can be reused but a 3.21 and lower carrier can not when you upgrade.

Good to know. I just did mine and reused my D44 carrier. But I had 3.73 stock prior. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: OP, definitely do what Cozdude said and get a locker since you have to switch the carrier anyway.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good to know. I just did mine and reused my D44 carrier. But I had 3.73 stock prior. Thanks for the info.

Your welcome

If you and the OP go back and reread my post I said that he would need a new carrier front and rear. Since he would need a new carrier I suggested he just get a locker since the locker becomes the carrier.

KingCopperhead

Another vote for 4.88's. I have them with 35s in my 14 jk (manual) and it brings a whole new level of control when off road. Not bad on the street either.

Tallhamer

I have 33s on 3.21 gears. I hate it. but im looking as well to regear to 4.88 gears. I have a a-liner camper and will love to more power.

aaronstephen

According to this write up the rear D44 carrier does not need to be replaced.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/GrimmJeeper/gear_install.html

JudeinPa

This video has a lot of good info on gearing and carriers. Check out at 14:12. It backs up COZDUDE with changing out the carriers either above or below 3:21's

Top Bottom