Regearing Question...

aaronstephen

This video has a lot of good info on gearing and carriers. Check out at 14:12. It backs up COZDUDE with changing out the carriers either above or below 3:21's

But the JK axles are different. All over the web it's saying there's no need to replace the rear D44 carrier on a JK.

OkstateJK

I guess the Internet and local shops are right in this case.

Rear Dana 44 on a JK use the same carrier regardless of gear ratio.

Late chime in, but yeah, I had a shop swap my gears from 3.21 to 4.56 in a 2014 JKU auto and I only had to buy the front carrier for the D30. If you tow a lot, 4.88's are probably right for you. I love my 4.56's but I never use it to tow anything.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Revived this older thread. Who here has had their JK re-geared that only replaced the D30 carrier? I'm speaking to the members with stock 3:21 gears. I have read threads advising of the rear D44 carrier being replaced and the opposite of that. I have been told and read the rear Dana 44 carrier break is 3:73/3:92. I have also have been told and read there is no carrier break for the rear jk Dana 44. Many ring and pinion suppliers only advise on the front Dana 30 carrier needing to be replaced.

As you can see her Yukon has a carrier break for the Dana 30. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461484105.639794.jpg

And here Yukon advises there is no carrier break for the rear Dana 44 (non rubicon). ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1461484152.626465.jpg

Just wondering others experience and opinions on the matter. I am very curious what you all have done and the longevity of the route have taken.

Last edited:
Nope. But a great time to upgrade if you're ready. They need to be pulled when regearing.

So not necessary but I mean they'll be out anyway might as well? I'm trying to regear my Dana 30 with 3:21 to so I'm trying to get an idea of everything I'll need or if I should just let a shop figure it out! Been thinking about taking my jeep to ORE so they can do all that stuff hahaha!
Thanks!

TennJK

So not necessary but I mean they'll be out anyway might as well? I'm trying to regear my Dana 30 with 3:21 to so I'm trying to get an idea of everything I'll need or if I should just let a shop figure it out! Been thinking about taking my jeep to ORE so they can do all that stuff hahaha!
Thanks!

Recommendations all go to ORE. Plus they do a great deal on a full regear. Definitely check them out!

JK_BUB

Recommendations all go to ORE. Plus they do a great deal on a full regear. Definitely check them out!

Agreed! ORE just did 5.13s in mine and I couldn't be happier. It's hard to believe that one of lowest prices around is this quality of work.

Top Bottom