Sway Bar Question

Dwg

About 6 months ago I disconnected the sway bar. It has been disconnected every since. I have a very stiff suspension lift, little to no "body roll/lean anyway. Here goes the stupid question... Why do I need it? Never noticed it was disconnected.

Dopey84

I'm by far no expert about the sway bar however I believe it's there to help with stability... I'm gonna take a guess though and guess you have a terraflex lift...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yeah I wouldn't recommend doing that but to each their own. It's there for stability as said above. I'm surprised to hear you haven't noticed it. But I'd sure hate to "notice" when trying to avoid some hazard or accident on the highway or something. I doubt the engineers put it there cuz it looked cool.

WJCO

Meme King
As you go around a turn, one side of the body lifts up. In simple terms the sway bar helps to keep the side down. It's more scientific than that, but that's the easy way to explain it. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's your Jeep. The real issue would be when swerving to avoid something. I took the rear off of mine strictly because my new diff cover hit it. I won't be taking the front one off.

Journeyman

I'm by far no expert about the sway bar however I believe it's there to help with stability... I'm gonna take a guess though and guess you have a terraflex lift...

Lol. I've have a so called terroflex springs on my jeep and it definitely not stiff like that in anyway. Huge difference between connected and disconnected. But that's just my personal experience with my jeep! Interesting how your not a self proclaimed expert. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend them just cause I've got some of their products on my rig. I know there's better stuff out there. I just find it interesting how you can say your no where near an expert but assume it's a terroflex 😱 Lift he's running.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to his front disco?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
About 6 months ago I disconnected the sway bar. It has been disconnected every since. I have a very stiff suspension lift, little to no "body roll/lean anyway. Here goes the stupid question... Why do I need it? Never noticed it was disconnected.

Sure, during a controlled turn it may not lean much. Imagine you have to swerve to miss an accident, a deer, a person, and you have to jerk the wheel in any sort of emergency maneuver. This is where you will see the difference. Despite what some may think, you DO need it and it should be connected. The way your running now is dangerous and a liability to yourself and others.

Dopey84

Lol. I've have a so called terroflex springs on my jeep and it definitely not stiff like that in anyway. Huge difference between connected and disconnected. But that's just my personal experience with my jeep! Interesting how your not a self proclaimed expert. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to defend them just cause I've got some of their products on my rig. I know there's better stuff out there. I just find it interesting how you can say your no where near an expert but assume it's a terroflex [emoji33] Lift he's running.

I'm assuming the OP is referring to his front disco?

That was nearly my disclaimer in that I'm no expert about the sway bar... And or the details as to its function and if he says it " could" be because his suspension is "stiff" and that may be the reason he hasn't noticed it... And seeing as though terrorflex has the reputation of stiff coils "by opinion" by many... Could be why he hasn't noticed... To each there own though but it's mearly my opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As mentioned, you WANT to keep your sway bar CONNECTED when driving on pavement because it will help provide much needed stability in an emergency maneuver.

Journeyman

That was nearly my disclaimer in that I'm no expert about the sway bar... And or the details as to its function and if he says it " could" be because his suspension is "stiff" and that may be the reason he hasn't noticed it... And seeing as though terrorflex has the reputation of stiff coils "by opinion" by many... Could be why he hasn't noticed... To each there own though but it's mearly my opinion.

Look out everyone disclaiming non expert here. He's going to defend other people opinions as if they were his own personal experience.

OP I'm assuming it's your front sway bar that's been disconnected for six months? As a few other people have stated the front sway bar is there for stability. I've driven from trail to trail air downed and disconnected and been just fine. But I'm very aware that my jk has a ton of body roll and side to side flex. I can't imagine driving at hwy speed and trying to tackle a curvy mountain road while disconnected up front. It might be doable I guess but if I had to say panic swerve to miss a cow? the shits going to hit the fan!

Sorry for possible temporarily high jacking your thread. Hope this helps!

Dopey84

Look out everyone disclaiming non expert here. He's going to defend other people opinions as if they were his own personal experience.

OP I'm assuming it's your front sway bar that's been disconnected for six months? As a few other people have stated the front sway bar is there for stability. I've driven from trail to trail air downed and disconnected and been just fine. But I'm very aware that my jk has a ton of body roll and side to side flex. I can't imagine driving at hwy speed and trying to tackle a curvy mountain road while disconnected up front. It might be doable I guess but if I had to say panic swerve to miss a cow? the shits going to hit the fan!

So me not mentioning that I have ran terrorflex you assume I'm just talking about others opinions that aren't my own. From personal experience I would never run it again but ride is purely opinion.

Now to the op who stated he has been disconnected for six months I'm gonna say he is talking about his links and as stated its all about stability and control.

Dopey84

I have run terrorflex in the past and never again me not mentioning that seems to have put your panties in a bunch my bad... However it's all opinion and he may or may not even be running this lift... But since I gave you something to be a keyboard warrior over your welcome for the entertainment

Journeyman

I have run terrorflex in the past and never again me not mentioning that seems to have put your panties in a bunch my bad... However it's all opinion and he may or may not even be running this lift... But since I gave you something to be a keyboard warrior over your welcome for the entertainment

And there it is..........All you needed to say was that you had some personal experience....I don't wear panties and I'm not a keyboard warrior. Quite the opposite actually, usually try to stay out of the drama......
I'm out....
.......?
......peace yo!

Dwg

Great information. I will absolutely make sure it is connected. I do not want to find out afterword that I should have connected it. It is the front sway bar. My son and I put the lift on last summer (before being on WAL and hearing your recommendations). The lift is an AEV Duel Sport. Which I do not have much to compare it to but it seems good, just stiff. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454200009.135047.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great information. I will absolutely make sure it is connected. I do not want to find out afterword that I should have connected it. It is the front sway bar. My son and I put the lift on last summer (before being on WAL and hearing your recommendations). The lift is an AEV Duel Sport. Which I do not have much to compare it to but it seems good, just stiff. View attachment 185147

So that we're on the same page, the photo you posted up is a rear axle with a rear sway bar which is actually thin and has a very soft torsion rate. You do NOT want to disconnect it even on the trail as it will NOT give you any more articulation but it WILL give you more stability especially on off camber situations.

Regarding your stiff ride, AEV coils are known for holding up a lot of weight without having them sag too much. How do you think they do that?

Journeyman

Great information. I will absolutely make sure it is connected. I do not want to find out afterword that I should have connected it. It is the front sway bar. My son and I put the lift on last summer (before being on WAL and hearing your recommendations). The lift is an AEV Duel Sport. Which I do not have much to compare it to but it seems good, just stiff. View attachment 185147

Glad we could help DWG!
Obviously you can tell the difference between the front and rear of your jk and what you've got going on. But your pic is the rear sway bar.

Never mind I see WOL already commented on the photo.

Last edited:

Dwg

Yah, I knew it was the rear but the only descent photo I have showing the AEV lift.
Eddie, thanks for the knowledge on why I think the AEV is stiff. Wondered a few times if we did something wrong to make it that way. I have questioned if my light weight is part of the reason for the stiffness. FYI... I kinda like it being stiff, not really a complaint.

Dwg

Thanks guys! We reconnected the sway bar last week. You were right, how I did not notice is beyond me. The thing drives way better. Amateur move! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455407408.040262.jpg

Top Bottom