Frame mounted vs body mounted sliders

Reaper

Ok guys Ive been looking into the EVO frame mounted sliders for a while and doing research on all the different sliders. I need input from people who have been out there using these things. Florida I dont get to many chances to have people test these things out =P.
From some forums Im reading that the frame mounted sliders arent strong enough to take a hit on the rocks. That they cantilever out from the frame and bend up on strong hits. I can see this maybe happening due to the arms stretching the slider out, but whats yalls take on it? Also ive read that the body mounted ones give more ground clearance and distribute the hit over a wider area and are stronger.... I dont necessarily believe this. seems to me anything mounting to the body has a chance of hurting the body its mounted to. Whats yalls take on this. The sliders im looking between and the EVO sliders,poison spyder rocker knockers and the genright sliders. HELP GUYS!!!! and if you have videos or pics i would greatly appreciate it!

Jern26

I have body mounted sliders, and although they look good I'd be afraid to hit anything hard with them. They only mount in 2 spots under the body mounts, total of 4 bolts (2 door) which is kind of weak imho. All the hardcore wheeling rigs on here run frame mounted evo's and from some of the wol videos, they look like they can take some abuse pretty well!!!

swampdog

Ok guys Ive been looking into the EVO frame mounted sliders for a while and doing research on all the different sliders. I need input from people who have been out there using these things. Florida I dont get to many chances to have people test these things out =P.
From some forums Im reading that the frame mounted sliders arent strong enough to take a hit on the rocks. That they cantilever out from the frame and bend up on strong hits. I can see this maybe happening due to the arms stretching the slider out, but whats yalls take on it? Also ive read that the body mounted ones give more ground clearance and distribute the hit over a wider area and are stronger.... I dont necessarily believe this. seems to me anything mounting to the body has a chance of hurting the body its mounted to. Whats yalls take on this. The sliders im looking between and the EVO sliders,poison spyder rocker knockers and the genright sliders. HELP GUYS!!!! and if you have videos or pics i would greatly appreciate it!

The easiest way to think about this is the attachment points. Frame mounted sliders are attached at multiple locations (welded or through bolts) to a structural steel member. Body mounted are mounted at 3-4 points to thin sheet metal. A solidly built frame mounted slider will outperform a body mounted slider every day of the week.

Any quality frame mounted slider will NOT hang lower than the frame, thus, NOT reducing ground clearance. The EVO and LOD sliders are your best options. EVO if you want to weld, LOD for bolt on.

mo0s3

I have the poison spider rocker knockers and they have taken a massive amount of punishment and held up flawlessly. With that said a lot of people in my group want the Evo sliders for the strength and clearance. Once my sliders take their last shot I'll make the move to Evo.
Hope this helps you out

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Any reason why you aren't just going off what you've read on "some forums"?

metalic

EVO on my JKU and have been winched sideways from them, dropped hard on them many times without issue. There built to be used

Ddays

Hooked

LOL - That's some funny shit there! Watch some videos of EVO1 to see the strength of their frame mounted (welded) sliders. Whoever said they aren't strong enough to take hits on rocks is a total idiot. You've got it right on the body mounted sliders.

Having said that it comes down to how you plan to wheel. If you are going into any rocks those EVO sliders can't be beat. If you're into brush and mud the bolts-ons may be ok...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the poison spider rocker knockers and they have taken a massive amount of punishment and held up flawlessly. With that said a lot of people in my group want the Evo sliders for the strength and clearance. Once my sliders take their last shot I'll make the move to Evo.
Hope this helps you out

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, your idea of "massive amount of punishment" may not be the same as others or mine for that matter. I have personally seen where a not so massive hit cause a Rocker Knocker bend up and to the point where you couldn't open the door anymore.

Reaper

Thats enough for me to make my choice! Im building my Rubicon to be used. I need something that will weld on and i dont have to worry about. Also winching sideways on them is always a plus =P Thank you guys helped me make up my mind! Offroad Evolution it is!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Thats enough for me to make my choice! Im building my Rubicon to be used. I need something that will weld on and i dont have to worry about. Also winching sideways on them is always a plus =P Thank you guys helped me make up my mind! Offroad Evolution it is!

Curious where in the world you heard that a body mounted slider will be stronger than frame mounted? A good quality, welded, frame mounted slider will be the strongest choice if you are going to actually use the sliders in the rocks. They can and probably will flex a little, but a body mounted slider will damage the thin sheet metal body they are mounted to. Think about it, what do you think would be stronger? Welded to the frame from multiple points or bolted to the body mounts and to the very sheet metal you are trying to protect?
With that said, you have to be honest with yourself about the type of wheeling you do. If your not hitting the rocks hard and actually resting and pivoting the weight of the rig on the slider (like you can do with the EVO MFG sliders) then you could get away with a body mounted slider. If your just looking for a step that will give some protection, again, body mounted would work for you. If your going to build for serious off road stuff, frame welded is the way to go. Good luck on your search and post up some pics when you get whichever sliders you decide on.

mo0s3

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but, your idea of "massive amount of punishment" may not be the same as others or mine for that matter. I have personally seen where a not so massive hit cause a Rocker Knocker bend up and to the point where you couldn't open the door anymore.

I understand:)
I guess I should re phrase massive lol , mine have taking a beating so far with no damage but ........ I do plan on getting the Evos for strength !

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Well I'll just leave this here:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455554281.181125.jpg

Posted by Mel of Ofrroad Evolution. EVO frame mounted sliders.

I have personally taken a couple of hard hits at the mall to my EVO sliders, and even used them to pivot around tall curbs. I wouldn't recommend any other product.

Reaper

Curious where in the world you heard that a body mounted slider will be stronger than frame mounted? A good quality, welded, frame mounted slider will be the strongest choice if you are going to actually use the sliders in the rocks. They can and probably will flex a little, but a body mounted slider will damage the thin sheet metal body they are mounted to. Think about it, what do you think would be stronger? Welded to the frame from multiple points or bolted to the body mounts and to the very sheet metal you are trying to protect?
With that said, you have to be honest with yourself about the type of wheeling you do. If your not hitting the rocks hard and actually resting and pivoting the weight of the rig on the slider (like you can do with the EVO MFG sliders) then you could get away with a body mounted slider. If your just looking for a step that will give some protection, again, body mounted would work for you. If your going to build for serious off road stuff, frame welded is the way to go. Good luck on your search and post up some pics when you get whichever sliders you decide on.
I google frame mounted vs body mounted rocker sliders and the first few forums that came up said that.

Reaper

Any reason why you aren't just going off what you've read on "some forums"?

yeah I watch what yall do and its what i want to do hahaha. I dont trust everything i read until its backed up from people who have actually walked the walk.

Sithwindu

Well to help your choice poison spyder makes a frame mounted slider as well, which is what I went with, I agree with everyone else. Frame mounted is the way the go. I loved the look of the poison spyder and jumped on them when they released the frame mounted version, really easy install. And has worked for me. Just note that they will not work with long arms without some fabbing (you can order one of the mounting points unconnected to suit the long arm you have)

Evo slider is race tested as stated above! Mel beats it like it owes him money! You can also order them angled out to use as a step!

For what I´ve understood the evo are the strongest but lod seems to be almost as strong.

I choosed the lod sliders because the day they will look very bad because of snow and salt on the road and some rocks, boots with sand stepping in and out and so on they are very easy to unmount and just sandblaster them and repaint. Voila and they look like new again. I guess that is harder with the evo ones since they are welded. The evo and lod have very different looks so I guess it is also a matter of taste.

just a thought.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
For what I´ve understood the evo are the strongest but lod seems to be almost as strong.

I choosed the lod sliders because the day they will look very bad because of snow and salt on the road and some rocks, boots with sand stepping in and out and so on they are very easy to unmount and just sandblaster them and repaint. Voila and they look like new again. I guess that is harder with the evo ones since they are welded. The evo and lod have very different looks so I guess it is also a matter of taste.

just a thought.

I've touched up my EVO sliders by sanding down the part that needs it and then just spraying them. I use a piece of cardboard to hold between the spray and the Jeep. Come out looking like new every time and I don't have to unmount anything. Nothing hard about it and if you look at my rig, you'll see I'm very OCD about it lol! I do like the LOD sliders too though, and if I were going to do bolt on sliders they would be 1 of only 3 I would consider mounting on my rig. With that said, no bolt on slider will be as strong as a welded one.

Top Bottom