Topped off coolant reservoir with "universal"...now what?

MissoulaGriz

Howdy,
I was traveling for the holiday and when I stopped for gas I lifted my hood and saw that my coolant reservoir was empty. I stopped by a Jiffy Lube and they added "universal" yellow coolant to the "Min" line in the reservoir. I just learned that I have the HOAT coolant in my '07 Sahara and you shouldn't mix coolants. Is this a big deal and should I now do a full coolant flush or am I okay? I'd say they only added a quart or two. I'd hate like heck to have to pay $150 for a coolant flush but....

Thoughts? Suggestions? Or should I not stress too much?

Cheers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's not critical but, it probably would be a good idea to drain your radiator and refill it with HOAT sooner than later. In the short term, the universal won't do much of anything but, keeping it in there too long will cause sludge to form. I don't know if a full flush is required per se especially being so little was added.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
I added the Preston universal type to mine before I realized it was supposed to be HOAT. Went through about a gallon in a year. I had the infamous water pump leak that leaks so little that it evaps and you can't tell it's leaking. I had no ill effects , BUT if I'd known better at the time I'd drained and refilled just to be safe. If I were you I'd just disconnect the bottom hose at the radiator and drain ,dump the res , refill and march on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can someone fill me in on what HOAT is.

HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology. This is one of the most modern technology coolants you can get and is what Chrysler has been using for all its vehicle manufactured since 2001. HOAT is typically orangish or redish in color and it is advised that you NOT mix it with OAT type coolants such as Dex-Cool, Prestone or other "Universal" product as it can cause sludge to form.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology. This is one of the most modern technology coolants you can get and is what Chrysler has been using for all its vehicle manufactured since 2001. HOAT is typically orangish or redish in color and it is advised that you NOT mix it with OAT type coolants such as Dex-Cool, Prestone or other "Universal" product as it can cause sludge to form.

Yeah, mine did turn brown( guess that could be considered an ill effect)When the dealer changed my water pump under warranty I'm guessing they flushed it. The more I think about it he'd prolly be better off flushing it especially if enough was added to where it's already turned color.

MissoulaGriz

Thanks for the response guys. I took it down to my mechanic because they had just installed a new water pump for me and it was still weeping a little bit. I asked him and he didn't seem to be all wound up about it and said it shouldn't be a major issue. He cleaned up the water pump and there was one nut that didn't get tightened down all the way. He said to drive it a little longer to check for leaking and if it still leaked he'd tear back into it and at that time will do another coolant flush. For my own peace of mind I'll be changing it out and going with all HOAT even if I don't need to go back into the water pump.

Top Bottom