Rebel off-road coil overs

jkpete

Ok so I am looking to get a bolt on coil over kit and I was pretty much set on the Evo bolt on kit. Then a buddy of mine told me to check out the rebel off road recon bolt on coil over kit. Now I'm torn. The rebel is a little more but I'm not too sure now which will be better.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
The Offroad evolution bolt on kit is absolutely better. The upper mounting point on the rear coilovers is down lower in the Rebel kit, and you get less travel. We measured something like 9 3/4-10" on my buddies JK. With the Evo bolt on kit you get 11.25" of travel, and you get more up travel because of the raised mounting point on the upper end of the rear coilovers. Same goes with the front coilover mounts in regards to the mounting point. The Evo kit has that upper mounting point up higher, allowing for more adjustability and more up travel. As you've already seen, the Evo kit is cheaper, but IMHO, better quality, and better engineered. I've seen both installed, and helped friends install both. Install difficulty is the same on both kits. I'd absolutely go with the Evo kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Offroad evolution bolt on kit is absolutely better. The upper mounting point on the rear coilovers is down lower in the Rebel kit, and you get less travel. We measured something like 9 3/4-10" on my buddies JK. With the Evo bolt on kit you get 11.25" of travel, and you get more up travel because of the raised mounting point on the upper end of the rear coilovers. Same goes with the front coilover mounts in regards to the mounting point. The Evo kit has that upper mounting point up higher, allowing for more adjustability and more up travel. As you've already seen, the Evo kit is cheaper, but IMHO, better quality, and better engineered. I've seen both installed, and helped friends install both. Install difficulty is the same on both kits. I'd absolutely go with the Evo kit.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Rebel kit uses a 12" coil over but from what I've seen, it only yields about 9.5" of travel - what a waste. Also, because of how their brackets are designed, you are required to run your Jeep a lot taller and that's fine if you're going for that sky high 1980's look but, if you actually wheel your rig, keeping your COG as low as possible is the way to go. I should also add that not only are the rear coil overs on the Rebel kit bolted to the much lower factory mounts, they are also sitting at a much greater angle than the EVO kit and that will effect its falling rate. And of course, there's its much higher price.

Nevesjk06

What's a ball park figure for the evo kit? I can't tell on the site how much extra the Coilovers are with the kit. I'm probably just looking at it weird lol.

Atch

What's a ball park figure for the evo kit? I can't tell on the site how much extra the Coilovers are with the kit. I'm probably just looking at it weird lol.

$1750 for the front $1850 for the rear & free shipping through northridge4x4

Prime8

Even though the picture on the site just shows the bracketry, it includes the coilovers as well. Their pictures have confused a bunch of people over on JK-F. They really need to show everything in the picture...

Sent from my ADR6350 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nevesjk06

Atch said:
$1750 for the front $1850 for the rear & free shipping through northridge4x4

Damn!!! That's a good deal. I was thinking I was missing something on the price. I live in San Diego so ill probably just head up to them to buy it

Nevesjk06

So another question, would anything be "wrong" with just doing the front set up first then the rear? Or is it just better to save up and hit it all at once?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So another question, would anything be "wrong" with just doing the front set up first then the rear? Or is it just better to save up and hit it all at once?

Nope, nothing wrong with that. You just need to know that soon after you do the front, you'll be dying to do the rears as well. As people like sm_rubi :D

Nevesjk06

wayoflife said:
Nope, nothing wrong with that. You just need to know that soon after you do the front, you'll be dying to do the rears as well. As people like sm_rubi :D

Lol that's who gave me a ride out in ocotillo when we went! Instantly sold lol. That's cool I can do in pieces tho thanks for help guys! This is why I come here every day it's a wayalife!

Tizzyusmc

Lol that's who gave me a ride out in ocotillo when we went! Instantly sold lol. That's cool I can do in pieces tho thanks for help guys! This is why I come here every day it's a wayalife!

This guy......lol

In a higher note I might be changing the route I was going and Do that as well....which 2 door will haw it first...da da dun... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1358355832.720115.jpg

Nevesjk06

hahaha dude, the way i see it, the gains u get from coilovers... why not lol. those prices are pretty dang good, go hard in the paint lol.

Hammerman

The EVO coil over kit requires a 3.5 in Back spacing for the wheels ( Andrew at EVO). my understanding that the Recon kit isn't required to have that 3.5 wheel B.S . the recon kit is offered with 2.5 coil overs 12 in in front and a 2.5 14 in in the back. What you're saying that I'll lose roughly 3 in of travel on the front and rear? any additional information will help a bunch.

aermotor

Holy thread from the dead! 4+ years ago.

2.5 coilovers are overkill on JKs and there's a reason EVO doesn't even do them. I don't know about the BS issue.

I think what people are saying is that just because the Rebel kit advertises 12" and 14" doesn't mean you're actually getting that. The EVO kit provides the most 'bolt-on' travel I believe.

I know Rebel says they've been around way before EVO developed their CO kit (which doesn't mean anything and don't know if that's even true...) because the EVO design is simply just better. And now Rebel is copying EVO's Rockstars and other things they have done to improve. This is my understanding at least.

More reading: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/14219-Rebel-off-road-coilover-kit

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Holy thread from the dead! 4+ years ago.

2.5 coilovers are overkill on JKs and there's a reason EVO doesn't even do them. I don't know about the BS issue.

I think what people are saying is that just because the Rebel kit advertises 12" and 14" doesn't mean you're actually getting that. The EVO kit provides the most 'bolt-on' travel I believe.

I know Rebel says they've been around way before EVO developed their CO kit (which doesn't mean anything) because the EVO design is simply just better. And now Rebel is copying EVO's Rockstars and other things they have done to improve. This is my understanding at least.

More reading: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/14219-Rebel-off-road-coilover-kit

LOL!! Talk about serious resurrection from the dead! :shock: :crazyeyes:

As mentioned, just because you sell a kit with 12" or 14" coil overs doesn't mean you get 12" or 14" of vertical travel and I for one can tell you that the Rebel kit does NOT. I have personally seen where the 14" kit gets LESS and as little as 9" or so in the rear. Also, while Outlaw Off Road has been around for a long time, Rebel which spun out of it has not. Also, Outlaw was selling the EVO long arm kit up until they came out with their own kit.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Since the thread is revived... LOL. I'll add, unless Luke Skywalker is involved, I don't deal with Rebel. Anytime I tried to deal with those guys in distant past, it was a pain. I couldn't get past getting talked down to on the phone with them to even order parts. They don't think anyone knows about 4x4's but them.

Top Bottom