Diff Skid Plate vs Diff Cover

big rick

I am contemplating doing something to protect my differentials and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Rough Country differential skid plates? Are there any draw backs to this set up vs just getting a beefed up diff cover? I am thinking that the skid plate may even be better since you now have something to slide on instead of getting hung up...any and all thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

Big Rick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you remove your factory diff cover, grind down the bottom lip so that when it's installed, it sits ABOVE the base of your differential housing, you won't need to spend a dime on anything :yup:

That being said, aftermarket differential covers look cool and I'm sure buying a skid will help do what you're wanting it to do too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you do decide you need a diff skid take a look at the rancho one. They are also having that rock gear promotion till the end of the month

big rick

If you remove your factory diff cover, grind down the bottom lip so that when it's installed, it sits ABOVE the base of your differential housing, you won't need to spend a dime on anything :yup:

How much do you recommend taking off and can it be done without removing the cover?

big rick

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much do you recommend taking off and can it be done without removing the cover?

big rick

You would need to remove the cover. If it were me, I would wait until you need to do a differential fluid change. That way, you get a chance to do a thorough cleaning and inspect your gears and get the cover addressed. And to that end, it's just a simple way to save some money. If that's not a concern, there's nothing wrong with a skid or new HD cover. :cool:

big rick

You would need to remove the cover. If it were me, I would wait until you need to do a differential fluid change. That way, you get a chance to do a thorough cleaning and inspect your gears and get the cover addressed. And to that end, it's just a simple way to save some money. If that's not a concern, there's nothing wrong with a skid or new HD cover. :cool:

:thumb::thumb:

mw149!

I just installed Rancho diff slides front and rear. I highly recommend them. Easy install and no need to break the diff seals. I think a slider is much better than a guard. Why beef up a diff when you can shield it from being hit in the first place.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why beef up a diff when you can shield it from being hit in the first place.

Because a skid will make it harder to service your differential and really, the housing itself is really quite strong as is. Of course, having a skid isn't a bad thing and really, that's just my opinion.

Welcome to WAYALIFE

Scrambler

This^^ I think I took around a 1/4" off the bottom lip.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1439544310.540373.jpg Just for reference, the lip I'm referring to is the one that is all gnared up. I believe we just took a white paint pen and outlined where the diff sits higher than the diff cover and ground it off. Thanks Eddie for posting this up. You saved me some money. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
This^^ I think I took around a 1/4" off the bottom lip.
Just for reference, the lip I'm referring to is the one that is all gnared up. I believe we just took a white paint pen and outlined where the diff sits higher than the diff cover and ground it off. Thanks Eddie for posting this up. You saved me some money. :thumb:

Thanks for posting that pic. Good visual reference point. :thumb:

Scrambler

Thanks for posting that pic. Good visual reference point. :thumb:

It took me a minute to find it between all the memes and random shit I've posted. I'd hate to try to find a picture in the attachments on your account. You are the meme master. :cheesy:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm not sure what kind of terrain you are into, but skids also get filled with all sorts of shit and can sometimes act like a shovel. I'm dating myself here, but the go rhino truss/skids we used to run in the late 80's were pretty much like having a pullpal strapped to your axle. They liked to get you more buried in the muck.

rabbitdave

Having ran the RC skids for the past year mostly in mud and clay, I agree, they do drag more in ruts and collect a lot of mud/dirt. They have caused me to get high centered on ruts making for the need to hooked up to a strap to get past some parts (no lift w/32's). Since this is a DD, I want all the protection I can get. I really like that it protects the u joint right in front of the axle hosing. It give me peace of mind that I'm not going to shear off a yoke on a rock. They also let me slide like a turtle over a lot of things. A skill I have had to learn not being lifted.

Spmitchell86

I just installed Rancho diff slides front and rear. I highly recommend them. Easy install and no need to break the diff seals. I think a slider is much better than a guard. Why beef up a diff when you can shield it from being hit in the first place.

I also just installed these... My rear one rubs the gas tank though... do you have the same issue? I'm surprised Rancho would miss something like that.....

Top Bottom