Wheel studs and lugs

Kevin11o11

Hey guys I own a 2012 jeep jk and I for what ever reason have been breaking wheel studs and cross threading lugs..... I have aftermarket rims .....American outlaws...I've examined the rims and I don't think they're the issue but I'm starting to think that maybe discount tire has had a hand in breaking them. ....but my question is .....is there a higher grade of studs to replace the factory ones?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with tire jockeys is that most of them use an impact gun to tighten your lug nuts instead of hand tightening them and then checking them with a torque wrench. Like you, I've had studs break in the past after having a local Discount Tire shop work on my Jeep. Fortunately, I run bead locks and for the most part, don't need anyone to work on my wheels anymore.

Tightening your lug nuts to the proper torque setting is all you need to keep the wheel studs from breaking.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The problem with tire jockeys is that most of them use an impact gun to tighten your lug nuts instead of hand tightening them and then checking them with a torque wrench. Like you, I've had studs break in the past after having a local Discount Tire shop work on my Jeep. Fortunately, I run bead locks and for the most part, don't need anyone to work on my wheels anymore.

Tightening your lug nuts to the proper torque setting is all you need to keep the wheel studs from breaking.

^^^ Tire shops will tighten them so tight, you can bend a tire tool, trying to change a flat.

Jrainsberger

I changed my brakes a couple of months back, and the tire company torqued the nuts so tight that the outer cover of the lug nut came off when I tried to remove it, which also stripped the nut. I tried several different tools to remove it, bent the lug wrench, broke several sockets, then finally had to drill out the stud.

WJCO

Meme King
Hey guys I own a 2012 jeep jk and I for what ever reason have been breaking wheel studs and cross threading lugs..... I have aftermarket rims .....American outlaws...I've examined the rims and I don't think they're the issue but I'm starting to think that maybe discount tire has had a hand in breaking them. ....but my question is .....is there a higher grade of studs to replace the factory ones?

Rims won't be the issue. Poor workmanship is the issue. There's no need for higher grade (if even available) studs. Starting the lug nuts by hand and proper lug nut torque is the solution.

Top Bottom