Winch selection

Rud

Looking at winches, do I really need a Warn? My JKURHR GVWR is 5700 so at x 1.5 thats 8550. Would a Zeon 8s be adequate? Seems like a huge chunk of change for a might use item. Price is much better with steel cable. What's everyone using, steel or synthetic?

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
That's the other issue of it being not used often, I've had several Warns and they've never let me down. I know several other brands that quit working for one reason or another.

Warn is a good brand. Probably the best anymore.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I have seen over the last couple of decades, yes, you really want a warn and honestly, a basic M8000 will get the job done just fine. If you need more pulling power, just hook up a snatch block but really, I doubt you'll ever need more.

TFD

My M8000 has worked perfectly the few times I've had to use it. You don't want to get stuck on the trail and find out the cheap winch you thought would work is nothing more than a bumper ornament.

WJCO

Meme King
Looking at winches, do I really need a Warn? My JKURHR GVWR is 5700 so at x 1.5 thats 8550. Would a Zeon 8s be adequate? Seems like a huge chunk of change for a might use item. Price is much better with steel cable. What's everyone using, steel or synthetic?

I have the Zeon 8s. I prefer synthetic because it's lighter and safer if it breaks. There's pros and cons on both. As far as buying Warn, to me it was a no brainer. This little used item will save your ass when you really need it and I have been in those spots. This was one area I didn't want to skimp on. There are many other cheaper winches out there. Their are mixed reviews on them, but do you really want to take the chance?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
From what I have seen over the last couple of decades, yes, you really want a warn and honestly, a basic M8000 will get the job done just fine. If you need more pulling power, just hook up a snatch block but really, I doubt you'll ever need more.

About $600 for a steel cable M8000. I bought it on Eddie's recommendation (thanks Eddie). I think it was money well spent, because of Warn's reputation.

OkstateJK

Warn makes an excellent product as do Ramsey (built in my home city of Tulsa). But I just couldn't justify the cost of either. I went with a Smitybilt XRC gen 2 in 9,500 lbs w/ steel cable. It's made 5 hard pulls, one was a 10,000 lb skid steer buried in mud to the frame. It's also been used a 4-5 other times for what I would say were light pulls (truck stuck in ditch). It's still going strong. It's been submerged multiple times without issue.

I know it is not a Warn, but it works for it's intended purpose. I always use a snatch block to help it out a little but the only time my winch wouldn't extract me, it took 4 winches (2 were Warns) and about 3 hours of digging. Doubt any single winch would have gotten me out of that mess, regardless of brand or cost.

swampdog

Also, Warn is running a rebate through the end of March. You get $75 back on the M8000 with steel cable, dropping the cost to $525. I will be pulling the trigger on this in 2 weeks.

Warebear

Ya I'm looking too, I'm seeing a 150 dollar rebate on a lot of warns stuff, the zeon and m8000 included.

swampdog

Ya I'm looking too, I'm seeing a 150 dollar rebate on a lot of warns stuff, the zeon and m8000 included.

Nope, gotta get to the platinum level Zeons to get the full $150. M8000 is a 75 rebate. Check their website for the rebate form.

professorkx

I added a Warn Zeon to the front of Mountain Goat (my 2014 Rubicon X) right after I took delivery after waiting 6 weeks for it to arrive. My wife was none to happy that I spent almost $2000 on the winch and mounting system on the stock bumper...UNTIL about 5 months...at 2 AM.

We left the house at 7 AM to go play in the snow in the Idaho mountains with two other jeeps

At first, we were just having fun getting stuck and pulling ourselves out of the snow.

Unfortunately, the little red YJ broke all the spider gears in the rear differential, leaving only front wheel drive...and no winch. We were about 8 miles into the mountains, and it was already getting dark, with a weather front heading into the area in about 24 hours. Getting the YJ turned around was no easy task, as the forest roads are narrow with steep drops off the edge. We attached a snatch block to a tree up the side of the bank, and attached the back of Mountain Goat to a tree up the road. We ran the winch rope through the snatch block and to the back of the YJ, and winched it up the bank backwards just enough so I could pass. From there, the YJ was able to turn around and get to the bottom of the hill, but not up the next hill, or the next, or the next.... So, we hooked a tow strap between the two rigs, and using my winch, i winched BOTH jeep up the hills at the same time.

I had brought along a 1/2" x 100' rope, and we tied a loop at each end and two in the middle. The banks were steep and snow covered, so very difficult to climb to attach the rope to a tree. Once attached, I winched both jeeps from loop to loop until we were at the tree, and the entire process started all over again.

14 hours and over 100 winch pulls later, we hit pavement. At 2 AM, my wife apologized for giving me a hard time about spending so much money on the winch and mount, and said it was worth every penny.

You never know when you are going to need a winch, but when you do, you won't be thinking about how much money you saved on your winch, only that it works every time you hit the button...even when you have to hit the button more than 100 times on one trip. Just buy a Warn and be done with it...

Warebear

Such a tough choice. The zeon 10 would only be a couple hundred more than the m8000, but is it worth it?

WJCO

Meme King
I added a Warn Zeon to the front of Mountain Goat (my 2014 Rubicon X) right after I took delivery after waiting 6 weeks for it to arrive. My wife was none to happy that I spent almost $2000 on the winch and mounting system on the stock bumper...UNTIL about 5 months...at 2 AM..................
14 hours and over 100 winch pulls later, we hit pavement. At 2 AM, my wife apologized for giving me a hard time about spending so much money on the winch and mount, and said it was worth every penny.

You never know when you are going to need a winch, but when you do, you won't be thinking about how much money you saved on your winch, only that it works every time you hit the button...even when you have to hit the button more than 100 times on one trip. Just buy a Warn and be done with it...

My story isn't near as cool as yours but similar thing. She wasn't happy with the price tag, but when we needed it with the kids in the backseat and out of cell range, she was very happy we had chosen to buy a winch that worked to get us home.

allwhitejeeps

My story isn't near as cool as yours but similar thing. She wasn't happy with the price tag, but when we needed it with the kids in the backseat and out of cell range, she was very happy we had chosen to buy a winch that worked to get us home.

Would you recommend getting the Zeon 8 or 10?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Also, Warn is running a rebate through the end of March. You get $75 back on the M8000 with steel cable, dropping the cost to $525. I will be pulling the trigger on this in 2 weeks.

Damn!!!!!!!!!! I just bought mine a month ago.

allwhitejeeps

Thank you guys. Ya I think the 8k will be perfect plus I'll get a snatch block in case. This rebate will definitely help not kill the bank

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Not saying there is anything wrong with the 8 or that it wont do, but if I had the cash I would get the 10. My theory on that is that it isn't always my jeep I'm pulling out. I got the Warn 12k Powerplant on mine. It was only a couple hundred more than the 9500 one so it was an easy decision to me.

WJCO

Meme King
Not saying there is anything wrong with the 8 or that it wont do, but if I had the cash I would get the 10. My theory on that is that it isn't always my jeep I'm pulling out. I got the Warn 12k Powerplant on mine. It was only a couple hundred more than the 9500 one so it was an easy decision to me.

That makes sense for sure. As long as funds are available. I would have done the same.

Top Bottom