Anyone run Currie RockJock?

818 JK

I know Dynatrac is known for quality product but never hear much about Currie, Since I'm replacing the motor and trans thinking about ditching the Dana 30 and upgrading to a 44 or 60.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've seen a lot of Currie breaks. Ring gears, axle shafts, housing itself. Also there is no way to drain the fluid in those axles. That alone is enough to push me away.

818 JK

The funny thing MedixJK I'm new to this site and was trying to see where I could search for any past threads regarding Currie but I figured it would be faster to just ask the question.

The funny thing MedixJK I'm new to this site and was trying to see where I could search for any past threads regarding Currie but I figured it would be faster to just ask the question.
Yea i feel ya. Personally have no experience with either, but as Overlander said, i have heard of some breaks on Currie. I have never to my knowledge heard if a Dynatrac break. The way i see it, when your spending thousands on something, might as well get the best part you can.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The PR44 doesn't have a drain plug either, at least I haven't found it mine, just so you know.

Right but if you take the cover off it all drains out. That doesn't happen with their rock jocks.

YellowJK

I'm wondering where all these Currie breaks happen. Every rig at KOH seem to use them so if they were bad, those guys wouldn't run them. The only time I see Dynatracs are when the people are decked out in EVO.

Yes I've seen them break but for the amount of them out there, it's impossible for some not to break. I have had zero problems for 2 years and run them hard. Then again, I've had Metal Cloak (which get a hard time here) arms for that amount of time and zero problems.

It's a toss up. You ask here, the love will be for Dynatrac and Evo. You ask other forums it will be Currie and Genright, etc...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering where all these Currie breaks happen. Every rig at KOH seem to use them so if they were bad, those guys wouldn't run them. The only time I see Dynatracs are when the people are decked out in EVO.

Over the last 10 years, I've seen the breaks, on RockJock 60's and on guys who were all decked out in EVO gear. The problem I've seen is that they just allowed for too much deflection in the differential housing and that was causing ring and pinion breaks and issues with their shafts. Unfortunately, Currie would no longer warranty these breaks stating that they were played on too hard and for me personally, that's a load of crap. Sure, RockJocks are cheaper but if you were to build up something like a front RockJock 60 to the same specs as what comes standard on a ProRock 60, they end up costing the same. Of course, that's just what I have seen and really, what would I know.

Yes I've seen them break but for the amount of them out there, it's impossible for some not to break. I have had zero problems for 2 years and run them hard. Then again, I've had Metal Cloak (which get a hard time here) arms for that amount of time and zero problems.

As I always like to say, we all have our own idea of "run them hard" really is and how "often" is often. Clearly, you're the kind of badass that believes you need to replace your perfectly fine factory bolts with a set of Grade 8's. Me, I'm just a mall crawler and so you can take that for what it's worth.

It's a toss up. You ask here, the love will be for Dynatrac and Evo. You ask other forums it will be Currie and Genright, etc...

LOL!! You'll forgive me but the only toss up is for guys like you who rely on what you've read on internet forums. Me, I go off of what I have personally seen and have experienced over the years. But of course, that's just me. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Everyone at KOH run them? Really? Most of the guys are running spidertrax, dynatrac or custom. Few run rock jocks and the ones that do are running the 70's not the 60's.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Someone at KOH this year snapped their Currie RockJock 60 or 70 housing, like the pumpkin itself split into two. I had a pic of it, but can't find it now. Not the first time it's happened, and won't be the last.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Someone at KOH this year snapped their Currie RockJock 60 or 70 housing, like the pumpkin itself split into two. I had a pic of it, but can't find it now. Not the first time it's happened, and won't be the last.

Yup. It was a front axle. Not sure if Currie makes front 70's or not.

xflstl

I twisted my front rock jock 60 in Moab. Bent the housing a destroyed the ring & pinion on my rear rj 60 in moab (Same trip). I wasn't impressed with them at all.. Now running pr 60/80 not enough time on them to give a comparison yet...

Jhinds7253

I've been pretty impressed with my core 44 so far. Hit a car in the side at 40mph, bent the car in half. Got a scratch on the housing, lol. Still running it

metalic

I've been pretty impressed with my core 44 so far. Hit a car in the side at 40mph, bent the car in half. Got a scratch on the housing, lol. Still running it

Core 44 isn't a currie.
G2 uses currie housings bit the core isn't one of them. I myself have a core 44 and have my reasons why I chose it over the pr44. I've been running it for a year now and I hope the day doesn't come I regret not going pr44

Top Bottom