Metal Cutting Saw?

tANNERRRR

I am in the market for a saw to build a small fence in the front of my parent's yard. I have used a Milwaukee abrasive chop saw to build my welding table but it's just too much time spent grinding and fitting the pieces perfectly.
I have been looking at dry/cold cut saws and want to hear some opinion's on them. I could just get my own metal cutting chop saw and just do the extra work of grinding and what not, or I could spend more and get a cold saw or a bandsaw.

It has to be PORTABLE.
Max I want to spend is about $350
The steel thickness won't be more than 1/4".

Does anyone have experience with the Evolution RAGE2 saw?

Ddays

Hooked
Why not a portaband saw? Every plumber out there has one of these to cut steel pipe. Fits in your price range too. Nice clean quick cut .

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Why not a portaband saw? Every plumber out there has one of these to cut steel pipe. Fits in your price range too. Nice clean quick cut .

This, I have a milwaukee corded one which I kinda wish I went battery but whatever its only used in my garage, and man that thing cuts like butter.

tANNERRRR

Portaband cuts pretty slow though doesn't it? I know they are clean cutting but they might want some 3x3" 3/16" steel posts and that might take a while to get through.

Plus I have never used one before...is it difficult to obtain a clean straight cut if you're a beginner on it?

ProtocolJK

Portaband cuts pretty slow though doesn't it? I know they are clean cutting but they might want some 3x3" 3/16" steel posts and that might take a while to get through.

Plus I have never used one before...is it difficult to obtain a clean straight cut if you're a beginner on it?

I also have a Milwaukee corded portaband and it works really well. In my experience it cuts pretty quickly and it is pretty easy to make a straight cut.

JKbrick

I have a Milwaukee 28volt cordless band saw and impact I don't use if you would be interested you can pm me

Ddays

Hooked
How long the cut takes depends on the gauge of the metal or what schedule of pipe you are cutting. Cutting metal is different than cutting wood. It takes time and you need to be patient. If you push metal blades too fast you'll just dull them more quickly and end up ruining them. I don't know what would cut steel pipe quicker and cleaner than a portaband unless you get into industrial equipment.

Jk909

I own a stainless steel fab company and so from my experience and with your budget you can't beat a portaband. We cut schedule 80 pipe and 1/4" thick plates with them and they work great. Just go slow, let the machine do the work.

Desert Crawler

For what your doing I would save some $ and use your chop saw. Easily repeatable straight cuts and at least as fast as a portaband.

Ddays

Hooked
If this is the only time you are going to use this saw then I would agree with this ^^. Save your $$ & buy more shit for your Jeep. One major
Difference between the two is that a chop saw is noisier than hell and it throws a ton of dust everywhere. Make sure you wear ear, nose and eye protection
If you are using one of these.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I own a stainless steel fab company and so from my experience and with your budget you can't beat a portaband. We cut schedule 80 pipe and 1/4" thick plates with them and they work great. Just go slow, let the machine do the work.

Schedule 80 is some thick pipe. I had to hand load and unload 40 foot sticks of that shit in the oil field.

Worst job ever.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
My parents own a company and build fences, both barb wire and t posts as well as pipe fencing. We also do barns, sheds, etc. We primarily use a Dewalt chop off saw with the razor blade type of cutting wheels for the straight cuts. They work pretty good and for the most part we get a lot of cuts out of a blade.

We also use the oxygen acetylene torch for cuts, straight and saddled. We dont have a tubing notcher at all. Ive thought about buying one for a project but i don't know yet.

Mr.Spark

DISCLAIMER: Post authored by known Milwaukee fanboy.

My Milwaukee sawzall, 18v or corded, cuts though steel no problem and is better bang for your buck due to its versatility. However, if you want a tool dedicated to the task of cutting steel then I would look at a Milwaukee ( 18v or 20amp ) band saw. I cut through EMT and double strut all day every day with one on the job. I suggest an 18v if you have other Milwaukee products but a corded is cheaper. There is a depth limit though so it depends on the cuts and material. Here is a link to a CPO site I use http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwauk...=miln6238-20&gclid=CPnHkuTD3MsCFQUFaQodHgMKaw

Last edited:

tANNERRRR

Thank you all for the input! I love Milwaukee so maybe that portaband is the way to go! I will let you know when I decide :yup:

tANNERRRR

If it's only for one job have you thought about hiring one?

Well I guess I should have explained that part. My parents are paying for the saw that I end up getting. I am 23 and almost finished with my D1.1 structural welding certification so this is something I can use for a long time for metal working.
I have my own Hobart MIG welder, I just never got around to buying my own saw.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Well I guess I should have explained that part. My parents are paying for the saw that I end up getting. I am 23 and almost finished with my D1.1 structural welding certification so this is something I can use for a long time for metal working.
I have my own Hobart MIG welder, I just never got around to buying my own saw.

Nice work! Than my vote is the Milwaukee porta band. I'm looking at one myself

Wethy

Nice work! Than my vote is the Milwaukee porta band. I'm looking at one myself

^^^ this we use them at work ( I am a plumber like stated in one of the first posts) and they are wonderful we had to cut up a bunch of schedule 80 2 1/2" pipe the other day at work and I had to use a sawzall and another guy was using the portaband and the portaband cut 3 pipes multiple times before I could make 1 cut with a sawzall. Totally worth the price and you can also make a table for it to use as a regular band saw.

Top Bottom